Workplace changing or redirecting career

For the past few months, I've been looking at so many different HR opportunities. I've been trying to focus on positions that really benefit from having legal knowledge in a specific area, such as positions that deal significantly with disability issues or FMLA. And I've been applying for any legal recruiting positions that I see. I've also been applying to numerous generalist/coordinator positions as well.

But, from what a friend who works in HR as a high-level recruiter told me, the problem I have is that, while I may have legal knowledge and experience related to employment issues, I don't have the day-to-day working knowledge and experience of someone who works in HR. For example, I understand the legal implications of working with a PIP and how it should be structured, etc., but I've never actually counseled someone on a PIP. I did interview with one company that did HR consulting (which was more broad-based HR, not specifically legal consulting), which would have been great, but the recruiter seemed less than impressed that I wouldn't be able to independently answer every HR question presented right off the bat. So that lack of day-to-day knowledge is really holding me back at this point.

I even considered going back and getting a Master in Human Resources Management (OSU has a specific degree for it), but the friend told me that, even though I would have more HR-specific knowledge, it would make me even more unemployable. He told me that, with a Masters degree as well as a J.D., employers would assume I would want too much money and would toss my resume in the trash immediately (he said he would be inclined to do the same thing if he was presented with my resume for an HR generalist or coordinator position). So, since I don't have actual HR experience (as opposed to just employment law experience), I can't even get an interview. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated.

At this point, I'm almost considering just going back and taking classes for a completely different degree.

I don't know about more classes, seems like that won't help the hands on part. How about networking more so people can see that you're really passionate about the career change? See who on linked in is a 2nd or 3rd degree connection in this field and reach out for coffee or lunch?

I don't know about more classes, seems like that won't help the hands on part. How about networking more so people can see that you're really passionate about the career change? See who on linked in is a 2nd or 3rd degree connection in this field and reach out for coffee or lunch?

That's true about the classes not giving me actual experience. I have been reaching out to friends of friends who work in HR, as well as attending networking events. I just keep hearing that I should have enough experience to find a position, but no one knows of anything open.

I think a big part of the problem is that the HR department doesn't make a company any money, so it seems like an area that companies would be less willing to expand, since it doesn't bring in any revenue. And regardless of whatever the government says, I don't think the economy is improving, so I don't foresee a lot of job openings in the near future. And once the healthcare reforms take effect, I would guess a lot of jobs are going to go to part time anyway. It's just getting hard to be optimistic!

I am pondering how to approach my fall. I've not gotten any in-person teaching, just more online, so I will have time to regroup, write, and plan for January and getting a f2f class. Just one at the school I taught for this summer (and I looooove it there) would be great...maybe something I've not taught every semester and summer for 15 years would be refreshing ;)

Right now, I will learn to live on the online work. Without a second job, I will/can freelance to redirect my work and see where things go. I started blogging and am really working to focus the audience for the blog, then I will start to push visibility. I've been writing poetry, nonfiction, and I've even been invited to give a reading the end of September, so my own writing is (despite the horrible prose I post here ;) ) is getting out now.

I've been chasing my tail in some way for at least a decade. It was always something: dd died, I got pregnant with ds and had severe complications and postpartum medical issues (for three years), bro and I spent all our free time for Mom, then Mom died, the x and the divorce. What a decade. I'm ready to find who I am again. I'm different, not who I was, and this time will allow me to assess who that is and if I'm okay with those changes.

It appears that being canned by the old job is going to be very good for me personally and professionally.

Yes. I got injured at work and am no longer able to do the job that I have been doing for the last seven years. I started with the company when I was 24, so it's pretty much all I knew. I just started college this year again because I knew given my education I wouldn't even be able to make half of what I mas making preinjury. Its pretty scary. I worry if I will be able financially to make it for the next three to four years while I finish school. I worry that my medical problems will interfere with my plans. I also worry if I picked a degree that will help me to get a job in my current city because moving isn't an option for me. I've just been taking it one day at a time and trying not to stress too much about the things that I can't change.

Your resilience is an inspiration. Wishing you all the best, No Cute!

Thank you for your kind words.

Tonight I am back to debating whether I should finish my Ph.D., which I stopped due to pregnancy complications with each of the kids. Not sure what would transfer or how much financial aid I could get, but I'm researching. It would be 2-3 years and make redirecting my teaching quite easy. And it would address my midlife crisis and need for some personal development. But it really depends on the cash. I need to take care of my kids first and foremost. Over 1600 page views on my new blog in three weeks, so that is going quite well.