Chanel prices in PARIS, ROME and LONDON

Hi... I live in the UK, but I'm off to paris at the end of the month... could you tell me where it would be best to go shopping? I don't have any item in mind yet, but I'd like to know where it would be cheaper in general.. (never mind the tax refund, because as I live in the EU, I am not qualified for it)

Thank you!

hi guys, I officially bought my ticket to london for my little vacation june. I am planning of visiting italy and paris as well....i really am confused with the whole VAT part....can someone explain this part? so you guys are saying that shopping in the mentioned countries is way cheaper here in US (California to be exact)

thanks mucho! ;)

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am going to London at the end of May and wanted to buy a small Chanel momento...around £200-300. Could people maybe suggest please what I can get for my budget? Could I get a credit card case/wallet or the small cc earrings for that ?
Also, where would be the best place to go?

Thanks very much guys! :smile:

VAT in the EU means Valued Added Tax. Unlike the US, all items already have this included so if you go into a store and it says £10, that is what you pay as it includes the tax. If you live outside of the EU, you do not have to pay EU tax and so can claim the tax back. Currently tax in UK is 17.5%, I don't know about the rest of Europe as each country can differ. So, if you bought an item costing £117.50, you'd pay that but claim back the £17.50 thus end up with your total purchase costing just £100. Hope that helps you a little. As for where is cheapest to buy, I'd love to know too! :smile:

VAT in the EU means Valued Added Tax. Unlike the US, all items already have this included so if you go into a store and it says £10, that is what you pay as it includes the tax. If you live outside of the EU, you do not have to pay EU tax and so can claim the tax back. Currently tax in UK is 17.5%, I don't know about the rest of Europe as each country can differ. So, if you bought an item costing £117.50, you'd pay that but claim back the £17.50 thus end up with your total purchase costing just £100. Hope that helps you a little. As for where is cheapest to buy, I'd love to know too! :smile:

interesting..thanks! i'll definitely let you know once i found out more on which place to buy ;)

UK charges 17.5% VAT but you do not get back the entire 17.5%. You get back only about 9%. For e.g. an item cost $179 (in pounds, I use dollar sign for easier reading), the VAT is $26.66. The nett return will be $16.50.
But if you opt for cash refund, they take a further $4 (if I remember correctly) off $16.50.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that you wouldn't get the 17% back. Two years ago I was in House of Fraser in Reading and bought a Hobbs bag, they just took off the 17.5% and I paid the net. Perhaps things have changed which is good to know. Thanks!

I am not 100% certain about this, but I just got back from London about a mth ago, if u talk about currency and tax refund all that, I assume London might be the best place to shop for chanel at the moment

I'm sitting in Heathrow as I type this..geez they called us down for the flight and we still haven't boarded yet!

I handed in my tax refund forms in a while ago and I confirm that they do not return the full tax amount. Not even for items purchased in Paris as I was there before UK and the tax refund forms also show that they don't return the full tax amount.

And oh, make sure you don't lump all the tax refund forms into one envelope.
Be sure to use the envelope that the retailers gave you together with your receipts, detax forms etc.

I only just found out that there are like 4-5 tax agents and retailers can choose to work with any one of them. For e.g. Chanel Paris stores works with Premier Tax and Chanel in Galeries works with Duty-Free Tax (or something like that).

So if you lump all the Chanel receipts into one envelope, the tax agent will only process the forms that belong to them and dump the rest. Now that explains why I never got some of my tax refunds in the past coz I used to lump them all into one envelope.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that you wouldn't get the 17% back. Two years ago I was in House of Fraser in Reading and bought a Hobbs bag, they just took off the 17.5% and I paid the net. Perhaps things have changed which is good to know. Thanks!

Normally you get less than the actual VAT due to the processing fee charged for paperwork that needs to be done for the claim (if you shop outside the airport) For an example in Italy - if you shop in town the VAT after processing fee is 12% but if you shop at the airport duty free you'll get 15% VAT. This is because the price at the airport is already minus the tax and no processing/paperwork needed!

Hi could u tell me the current prices of these items in PARIS?

Chanel camera reissue small, med and large:
GST silver or gold HW:
PST silver or gold HW:
Medium flap valentine ed.
Set of 3 bangles in metal and plexi:
Long quilted wallet in calfskin with heart shaped charms

My friend will be going there May 2-10, so will ask her to buy something for me.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

THanks