Chanel Hardware/chains: Does it fade/tarnish over time?

Hi all,

Can u all ps advised? I'm really keen to buy a jumbo classic with gold hw, but i'm afraid that the gold will fade/tarnish over time, esp when i plan to use the long for long long time..

For those ladies who already have puchased Chanel with gold hw, can u ps let me know if the gold will fade over time? (Just like LV's gold hw)

Thanks a lot for yr help

Hi nscwong..may i know if there is any charge for the change of hardware? Also does it take many yrs for the colour to fade away? personally i prefer gold..but just kinda worry that it will fade away in the years to come.....

I have a vintage lizard mini; the gold hardware has tarnished (it has not flaked off but rather turned silver from wear). I think another thread mentioned that Chanel does not replace hardware from gold to silver. So, I'm hoping that the rest of it changes too, because I prefer silver. When you see my bag, the change in color does not seem that drastic.

Reactions: stxphyeliza
I just got the vinyl rock in Moskow bag with GHW from 2009 and I have never used it before and it is all tarnished on the handles and logo on front of bag. It is stored just the way I received it... I contacted SA and she told me this was normal. I am really bummed!! Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix? Maybe because it is a vinyl bag.....????

I have a med/large classic caviar flap which was bought less than a year ago.

This afternoon, I took the bag out to inspect and admire it....

And much to my horror, the four metal rings at the top of the flap where the chain straps slide in and out.....are showing signs of tarnish.

I am beyond upset and unhappy.

And I can't understand how such a thing could have happened in the first place.....especially coming from a Chanel mummy which checks the weather forecast before taking her baby out. And I don't use it as an everyday bag either, only during special occasions.

Am definitely going to make full use of the warranty and get this fixed ASAP. If Chanel management refuse to rectify this situation, then I'm going to think twice (or thrice) before I decide to buy another Chanel handbag.

After all, you'd expect only the best quality and settle for nothing less....with the exorbitant amount of mullah you pay for a Chanel flap.

Yes it is 22K gold plated. The "W" marking in the left hand corner symbolizes 22K plating. Which is why the gold is soo GOLDEN. Gold plating often tarnishes if the metal is exposed to alot of friction or wear (so if you keep hitting the CC lock on your car or a corner for instance wear will occur)

There is an ongoing discussion about why some Made in France flaps do not have 'W' marking onthe CC lock but that is a separate thread. It is interesting, we are all concerned whether Chanel has put golden brass (like LV) hardware on their cc locks now or if they kept the 22K gold plating because gold's value has tremendously skyrocketed due to the econ crisis here in US.

^ I remember there was a seperate thread saying that there are several markings on the CC and someone mentioned that it might be different gold plating...was this ever cleared up or is all gold CC's 22k (except the brush metal ones)?

^ I remember there was a seperate thread saying that there are several markings on the CC and someone mentioned that it might be different gold plating...was this ever cleared up or is all gold CC's 22k (except the brush metal ones)?

Here's the link to documenting cc markings over time. http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/documenting-cc-markings-through-time-96562-5.html

I haven't noticed a W marking on any of my vintage bag CCs. There is one hallmark which has 3 lines on it. Perhaps this is interpreted as a W.
_
Chanel mention in their little black care book " The metal parts of your handbag are gilded with an alloy containing 24 carat gold, which is sometimes sensitive to sea air and the acidity of the skin and may eventually wear off. Clasps, chains and other metal parts can be re-gilded. Ask your Chanel Boutique for an estimate". I think that pretty much sums it up that it is possible and Chanel acknowledge it. This information comes from my carebook with the black cover and gold edge.

Newer bags, I don't know. I'd leave that for more recent greater minds!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel.
Hi all,
I just went Chanel (Singapore) today to order the jumbo flap with gold hw. I causally asked the SA that i read in forum that the gold is 22k plated.She looked very surprised and immediately said NO. She said gold is so expensive now and it's impossible (and this is her first time hearing) that the gold hw is 22k plated....so who is right? is the chain indeed 22k plated?

Reactions: Stormbreaker