Chanel Costume Jewelry Junky Club!

I've seen a classic camellia for about two years at BGs. However, it's not strauss, it was rhinestones. The glass was coated on the bottom so it was definitely not strauss crystal.

Is this a new one? I would rather have strauss.

elleestbelle said:
Gorgeous pieces! Congrats!!

Thank you elleestbelle :smile:

lil_fashionista said:
Great picks peace911_1! I'd love to see how you'll work such elaborate pieces in to your wardrobe.

Thanks lil_fashionista! I'll take some modeling shots over the weekend :smile:

Francesca1234 said:
I've seen a classic camellia for about two years at BGs. However, it's not strauss, it was rhinestones. The glass was coated on the bottom so it was definitely not strauss crystal.

Is this a new one? I would rather have strauss.

Yes the 00V camellia brooch has been around since 2006. Strass is just another name for rhinestones made of glass with high lead content.
The 00V camellia brooch and the 12C camellia brooch are exactly the same, they are both made of strass, except for 12C they did it in black strass as well, and made them into rings, pendants, cuffs, all from the 'Camellia Festival' range. Another difference is the addition of the new hook/loop on the back of the brooch, so it can be worn as a pendant as well. I will try to take a picture of the back of the brooch later.

No it's not. Strauss is the best crystal made by Swarowski. There are various grades of crystal. Used to be A, AA, AAA. Now I think there are many more grades because the quality of crystals have gone down considerably.

Rhinestones are glass with a painted back. Not swarowski strauss crystal. The best chandeliers are made out of strauss crystal by swarowski. They're the most expensive.

Rhinestones in europe are called strass. But I was speaking about swarowski strass ...the rhinestones are cheap, nontheless. I was hoping they were changing to the really quality crystal. Oh well! THey had very large CC earrings in strass swarowsky crystals and they were stunning. It's rare they use them.

http://www.goldenageusa.com/garticle

I was speaking about this type of crystal. They increased the price by $100

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhinestones in europe are called strass. But I was speaking about swarowski strass ...the rhinestones are cheap, nontheless. I was hoping they were changing to the really quality crystal. Oh well! THey had very large CC earrings in strass swarowsky crystals and they were stunning. It's rare they use them.

Excuse my confusion with the difference between strass and rhinestones, let me word it differently for you, what I meant was strass = lead crystals. To me, anything that's not a precious stone and not made of plastic is either strass/crystal or rhinestone, I did not know that there was a difference between a rhinestone and crystals, sorry about that.

As far as I know, Chanel has always used strass for their costume jewelry. Whether or not they're Swarovski strass, I am not entirely sure, you seem to know more about that than everyone. But Chanel has always referred to its crystals as strass. The classic camellia is made of strass, so is the 12C one. Here is a screencap of the digital press kit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Strass.jpg
    Strass.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 882
No it's not. Strauss is the best crystal made by Swarowski. There are various grades of crystal. Used to be A, AA, AAA. Now I think there are many more grades because the quality of crystals have gone down considerably.

Rhinestones are glass with a painted back. Not swarowski strauss crystal. The best chandeliers are made out of strauss crystal by swarowski. They're the most expensive.

Here's the back of the brooch, would this be considered strass?
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo-39.JPG
    photo-39.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 557