Certificate of Craft (Lifetime Warranty)

HI is the certificate of craft sold separately? was about to purchase a small jodie and the SA said it is not included in the bag. The warranty is only 2 years and that I have to purchase the certificate separately.

HI is the certificate of craft sold separately? was about to purchase a small jodie and the SA said it is not included in the bag. The warranty is only 2 years and that I have to purchase the certificate separately.
OK, did the SA tell you that you have to purchase the certificate separately? It sounds like it. We are not BV, we just love the brand. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Reactions: jbags07
I'm also confused about this. Bought Mini Jodie last month in Italy, was never actually told by the SA about this lifetime warranty/certificate of craft nor was I emailed anything after the purchase. Is the mini Jodie covered? Do I need to chase after the emailed Certificate?

Clarity is needed BV.

My understanding is the certificate is for specific bags only. ‘Regular’ bags are not included, meaning that a Jodie, a pouch or a cassette would not be included. I think it’s for limited edition, or special release bags only. BV still has a two year (I’m pretty sure it’s two years) warranty for its bags.

• Wow
Reactions: papertiger
My understanding is the certificate is for specific bags only. ‘Regular’ bags are not included, meaning that a Jodie, a pouch or a cassette would not be included. I think it’s for limited edition, or special release bags only. BV still has a two year (I’m pretty sure it’s two years) warranty for its bags.
I just recently got in contact with BV via email regarding the certificate of craft as I only just purchased a small jodie (online) less than a month before they had launched it online. As previously it was only with in store purchase. With my enquiry and addressing my recent purchase at the time. They had agreed to issue me a certificate of craft. I don’t know if this was an exception to my case. Also the sardine is also included in the Certificate of craft as well.

I was perusing the BV website and just before (or was after?) product descriptions they note the certificate of craft. IMO there seemed no clear indication why a bag would get it over another. For example, some large cabat do not get one but the medium and mini do. And the small and teen Jodie got it but not the mini.

it's for their classic bags, so the jodie is included.
in my previous inquiry to BV japan, they said:

"
Thank you for reaching out to Bottega Veneta Customer Care.
We are happy to know that you are interested in our product.

JODIE
POUCH INTRECCIATO
PADDED CASETTE
HANDLE
CABAT
KALIMERO
COBBLE
SARDINE
KNOT
TOSKA

These bags are included by certificate of craft, but seasonal annimation bags are not included."

Personally I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. I used to own about a dozen pieces from the early Tomas' days (boutique and outlet purchased as well as through resellers) and I had never had a problem getting any of them repaired through my local boutique. I miss the quality of those bags. I know BV still has certain standards but the quality is just not the same to me. The leather is just not buttery like they used to make them. If someone stands by their products there's no need for any paper/certificate. *shrug*

Personally I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. I used to own about a dozen pieces from the early Tomas' days (boutique and outlet purchased as well as through resellers) and I had never had a problem getting any of them repaired through my local boutique. I miss the quality of those bags. I know BV still has certain standards but the quality is just not the same to me. The leather is just not buttery like they used to make them. If someone stands by their products there's no need for any paper/certificate. *shrug*
I want to second this.

I have 2 cabats (new post coming up in the cabat thread tomorrow :smile: ) and both have been past the atelier in Italy.

BV has fantastic after sales service at very reasonable pricing. No certificate or receipts require for the bags. Pick up and shipping door to door included at no charge.

My local boutique also offers conditioning of bags regardless how old at no charge, but it is a franchise store so I prefer for my more expensive bags to be sent to BV Italy as I always was told by SAs that no treatment is needed and I should not condition or spray the bags with anything.

I guess the CoC is just a lifetime warranty, but if your bag needs repair or touch up due to regular wear and tear I think you would still need to pay, but not sure?

To be on the safe size, a SA in London told me to always buy in black.
The colour can always be touched up and it is almost certain BV will have the required spare parts (for example changing handles). This is probably also why the CoC only applies to select styles / overhead line in the classic colours.

My first Cabat (Uomo size in calf from 2012 men’s collection in the colour shadow) I sent in to BV to get cleaned and conditioned and while not required here I was told that the handles can no longer be changed (or the bag dyed - weave repaired) as the colour is seasonal / no longer available.

I also had ready to wear repaired without any issues (twice) free of charge.

The TM era bags really do stand the test of time and while I do not know about other brand I have never experienced such fantastic service anywhere else. (Maybe Mulberry, but still no where near at the same level as BV).

The colour can always be touched up and it is almost certain BV will have the required spare parts (for example changing handles). This is probably also why the CoC only applies to select styles / overhead line in the classic colours.
Good point about buying black. Of course, it makes perfect sense that BV can’t keep all the seasonal colors for repair.

Reactions: etudes and J.T.
I want to second this.

I have 2 cabats (new post coming up in the cabat thread tomorrow :smile: ) and both have been past the atelier in Italy.

BV has fantastic after sales service at very reasonable pricing. No certificate or receipts require for the bags. Pick up and shipping door to door included at no charge.

My local boutique also offers conditioning of bags regardless how old at no charge, but it is a franchise store so I prefer for my more expensive bags to be sent to BV Italy as I always was told by SAs that no treatment is needed and I should not condition or spray the bags with anything.

I guess the CoC is just a lifetime warranty, but if your bag needs repair or touch up due to regular wear and tear I think you would still need to pay, but not sure?

My first Cabat (Uomo size in calf from 2012 men’s collection in the colour shadow) I sent in to BV to get cleaned and conditioned and while not required here I was told that the handles can no longer be changed (or the bag dyed - weave repaired) as the colour is seasonal / no longer available.

I also had ready to wear repaired without any issues (twice) free of charge.

The TM era bags really do stand the test of time and while I do not know about other brand I have never experienced such fantastic service anywhere else. (Maybe Mulberry, but still no where near at the same level as BV).

Honestly, these days you'd think they'd up their game. The 'we only guarantee black' makes me think they may outsource aftercare work.

* Black is not a safe colour. There are different shades of black.

* Codes, tech and colour-mixing should be able to match colours (not unusual finishes). The original formulae to colours are on file - that's how they create re-issues of the colour. If a batch of colour changes it's usually done to using it on a different type of leather or a definite decision. If Gucci can match Aviazione (blue-grey) from 12 years ago, I'm sure BV can match a bit of Ebano etc

Reactions: J.T.