Canadian buyers... help!

Hi,

I have quite a bit of experience with this kinda thing...so this is the scoop....

Ebay sellers can undervalue and mark as gift becuase I had someone do that before and it does not affect thier business. Just tell them to send you the receipt seperate from the item. The item should be sent with no paperwork what so ever. When they do that all customs will see is the UPS label with the value info on it and not the official receipt. For business purposes the receipt will be of the true value.

I have even had an online shop do that for me as a favour.

It worked both times.....my customs/taxes was much less than what it was supposed to be

Which ever way/company the item was shipped, they will have a customs bill for you to pay before you can receive the item. USPS delivers through Canada Post and they take credit cards or cash. UPS will take Cheques to!

BTW, if you return and item you can get a refund on your customs and taxes. Just make sure you keep all your paperwork.

I've rarely had problems but NEVER NEVER NEVER let anyone ship to you with UPS. They charge crazy random handling fees- really outrageous. I much prefer shipping with USPS if its coming from America. Obviously this might be unavoidable if buying from a real online store and not from ebay.

yeah if they ship with UPS or pretty much anything aside form USPS - they charge you "brokerage' fees - which is like ANOTHER third party who calculates your duties. It's not the "regular" guy who does it if its through "regular" mail (ie USPS) b/c it's a courier. so that's on top of GST/PST and the duties! whenever i see that yellow and grey customs form, i want to run in a corner and hide...

I've rarely had problems but NEVER NEVER NEVER let anyone ship to you with UPS. They charge crazy random handling fees- really outrageous. I much prefer shipping with USPS if its coming from America.
You are so right!

UPS is the worst. I won't bid if I know the seller only uses UPS, or even Fed Ex. I prefer USPS.

I have always been under the impression that $20 was the cut off and anything over that will be charged duty and taxes. I've had that happen to me. Over $20... and I pay.

Has the amount changed?

I looked it up and the cut off is $50 - Canadian so get them to mark it as $35.oo used - gift. But remember if it gets lost or damaged that's all you can get back.

I didn't realize that UPS and Fed Ex levy surcharges on packages. Really?
I find that USPS is really expensive!
I got 2 purses last month valued at $40 dollars on the slip, and I was charged $20!!! How the hell do they figure? :confused1:

Plus they add on handling fees too, so what's the difference?

I know that if I call them and send in all the paperwork to get a refund they'll shaft me like they did last time. I sent in the receipt from the customs slip and they wrote me saying they needed it - well, kinda hard to do since I already sent it in! Liars, cheats and thieves. All of them. :cursing:

I didn't realize that UPS and Fed Ex levy surcharges on packages. Really?
I find that USPS is really expensive!
USPS, even if it is expensive... it is still less than UPS and Fed Ex!
I got 2 purses last month valued at $40 dollars on the slip, and I was charged $20!!! How the hell do they figure?
From my experience, $20 is still the cut-off. :shrugs:

It sounds like I may be wrong, but under the NAFTA agreement, if the item in question is made in the U.S., then you should not have to pay duty on it. And if it is vintage, i.e. used, that should limit the duty even if it is made outside the U.S. I checked on the Canada Customs/Revenue website and there may be an exemption for luxury items, but they did not specify purses in particular.

Anybody know anything about how the NAFTA treaty affects Canadians buying a vintage bag made in the U.S. and having it shipped here?

i recently bought a bbag for $1130 USD and the seller was nice enough to mark the item as a gift and used handbag with a value of $150 USD. canada customs opened up the package and decided to value the item as $500 CAD. so i had to pay GST and PST for $500 along with the $8 handling fee that they charge to open up my box and then tape it back up afterwards.

I had purchased a like new LV Salsa from HK, the seller declared it at 30.00 as pre-owned purse at my request, when it arrived, I got taxed nearly 400.00. Customs evaluated at 1000.00, retail was only 745.00. After paying for the purse & shipping and customs, I could of just walked into a LV store and got it cheaper buying brand new.