Can eBay sellers actually do this?

Cristina

O.G.
Oct 23, 2005
Oh man, I'm pissed :mad: I decided that I did want to buy the Chanel cuff I've been wanting for the last couple of months. It's not available at the boutiques anymore, so I decided to look on eBay. I found one with a BIN only $10 above retail, but the auction states that I need to be on the seller's pre-approved bidders list before I can buy it.

I contact the seller, asking to be placed on the list, and this is the response I get :mad:

Hi,

If you want to get this item at $169, you need to also buy another item that's not in our pre-approved list. Otherwise, we sell this at $209+shipping. So, we will add you to our pre-approved list for this item AFTER you agree to buy another item (that's not in our pre-approved list) from our store together with this item.

What the :censor: ?! So unless I buy something that isn't on their "list", the seller will raise the price $40? I've decided to take the high road and not respond. If I did, it would include a lot of :censor: :censor: :censor:

Has this happened to anyone else before? Isn't this considered price gouging? Can sellers legally do this on eBay? Argh, this makes me angry!

Cristina I would be pissed too. That is terrible and I am sure that it is against the rules. Contact ebay- heck, even if it IS against the rules, they will probably ignore it anyway. But its definitely worth a shot!

Sorry you ran into such an unscrupulous seller!

Ugghhh....it's DEFINITELY not allowed! Quickly report this member to ebay. Report it in several of their forum choices.

If you want to answer, just ask the seller to point out where in the ebay rules it states that this is allowed. I think they'll get the hint...