Can curvy girls wear belts over clothes? How to dress hour glass figure?

I'm not an hourglass (more like inverted triangle) but I have a very short waist. I avoided this style for a long time, but I think certain belts can work. I think a thin belt might work, for instance.

I do it on occassion (I actually did it yesterday), but I wear a wide belt up high. I draw attention to the smallest part of my waist, and I feel like it makes me look longer. I definitely do not have a flat stomach...

For reference I'm 5'1", 36-27-37

For the record, I'm short waisted and I can still pull this look off if I use a thin belt (not wide). And I'm pretty curvy, but I have a tiny waist (waist is a XS-S belt, hips are L)

When I was thinner, I had a nearly flat stomach and could pull off belts really well. I've since gained some weight and some of it's in the belly, and I have to be more careful about where the belt goes.

I am average height and am curvy with a large bust and hips. I was scared of this look too, but now it's my uniform. I like wide belts under the bust usually with a cardi or shrug over it. It gives a nice visual shape and hides the bulges. The first day I tried this I received a ton of "have you lost weight" comments, so it stuck. :smile:

Gosh, I hope curvy girls can wear belts over clothes, I certainly do!!

I'm 5"2, roughly 38, 28, 37. I like to wear a classic YSL square buckle belt over little silk dresses to work or out for lunch, even cocktails. It brings a loose-ish fitting frock in nicely and emphasizes my ins and outs, as it were.

This style is supposed to be for girls who are rail thin or very slender and need to emphasize their curves. If you're already curvy, it won't look good on you. Tsk, tsk.

Hmmm, bit rude if you ask me. And if you are curvy and wearing a loose dress or top, then the fabric will fall straight off your bust and hang straight down, giving the impression that you are column-shaped as wide as your bust when in fact, you may have a very narrow waist. So a belt pulls the fabric in and shows the narrow waist, which is flattering, while a column is not so flattering.

Hmmm, bit rude if you ask me. And if you are curvy and wearing a loose dress or top, then the fabric will fall straight off your bust and hang straight down, giving the impression that you are column-shaped as wide as your bust when in fact, you may have a very narrow waist. So a belt pulls the fabric in and shows the narrow waist, which is flattering, while a column is not so flattering.

Interesting. I have an hourglass shape (37-23-37) and I don't think I'm short-waisted, but I look like it in a loose dress with a waist belt. I do think this is a great look on column or vase shaped women.

That said, I love to wear tightly fitted pencil dresses with waist belts (both wide and skinny), I think it's great for emphasising an hourglass. It's loose garments where hourglasses run into the short waist problem.

Where in the statement did I say curvy girls should wear loose clothing? I said they shouldn't wear a belt over dresses or tunics. Wearing a belt over a dress or a tunic will make you look short and stumpy if you're too curvy. It only looks good on long lean girls who need to emphasize their waist and hips.

Why would anyone buy clothes that make their body look like columns in the first place? Clothes can be fitted without needing a belt.

Where in the statement did I say curvy girls should wear loose clothing? I said they shouldn't wear a belt over dresses or tunics. Wearing a belt over a dress or a tunic will make you look short and stumpy if you're too curvy. It only looks good on long lean girls who need to emphasize their waist and hips.

Why would anyone buy clothes that make their body look like columns in the first place? Clothes can be fitted without needing a belt.

You didn't. But I did - that's where I use a belt in my wardrobe, to take a looser item of clothing in at my waist.

And I am not sure about what you're attempting to refer to with your terms 'too curvy'. You certainly didn't qualify your original statement with references to 'relative' curviness. You just put it out there "If you're already curvy, it won't look good on you. Tsk, tsk." No attempt to qualify it, just an absolute statement. And in fashion, there are very few absolutes.

Irrespective, I think the tone of your posts is a bit rude. You may prefer to distract from that, but I'd prefer it if you were able to post your opinion on a matter without making it sound unnecessarily catty. "Tsk tsk"? Why put that in?

Interesting. I have an hourglass shape (37-23-37) and I don't think I'm short-waisted, but I look like it in a loose dress with a waist belt. I do think this is a great look on column or vase shaped women.

That said, I love to wear tightly fitted pencil dresses with waist belts (both wide and skinny), I think it's great for emphasising an hourglass. It's loose garments where hourglasses run into the short waist problem.

I agree.

one look through your post history speaks volumes. . . . you seem to lack a sensitivity chip. Your comments are rude, if you continue to be rude you won't last here. And if you are remotely rude expect to get called on it.
Maybe a little less judgement ;)