Calling Tweed Bag Owners!

I just purchased a tweed bag on 23rd Aug and I'm using it for the first time yesterday! (24th Aug)
img_1638-jpg.3803718

I noticed the "fur" keep dropping off. I press with my hands on the bag and the fur stick out on my hands, and its all over the desk. I forgot to take picture of it.

This happened when I was shopping in Chanel Boutique yesterday. I ask the SA, he told me its normal as the tweed is not pressed tweed, if its pressed tweed, then it won't keep falling off. As this design is to have a furry look, the fur will come off itself. But he ensured me that the bag won't become bald "botak"
He said its like when we first buying carpet, the fur will dropping out first 2 weeks - 3 weeks and it will stay as it is...

Appreciate if there is any tweed bag owners could ensures me if this is normal? I understand its not a everyday bag, I am also very careful bag owners. I wish this cute tweed gabrielle would have its furry look for many many years!!! And please, don't become a "botak" bald bag!!!:shocked:
Hi there, I have a tweed Gabrielle. Mine get furry but they don’t drop if that makes sense. SA said that’s normal and the tweed will stay regardless (won’t go bald). when I carry the bag and it gets rubbed against my clothes, it gets more obvious.

Attachments

• B9E8C582-D454-4E65-A29A-331DF2DC3B2E.jpeg
    B9E8C582-D454-4E65-A29A-331DF2DC3B2E.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 134
Hi there, I have a tweed Gabrielle. Mine get furry but they don’t drop if that makes sense. SA said that’s normal and the tweed will stay regardless (won’t go bald). when I carry the bag and it gets rubbed against my clothes, it gets more obvious.

Thanks for your comment. Have been having this tweed gabrielle with me 17 months. Yes, the bag didn't go bald. Just not as nice as brand new piece as consistently rubbing with body. :angel:

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. I am no expert on Chanel tweed in general. However, I do own some jackets and the tweed bag mentioned by @Kendie26 . based on my own personal experience, I would not take the words of your SA as fully accurate. My tweed bag has not dropped off or "molted" for the year? that I've owned it. I have used it quite a bit in fall/winter (it's so lightweight and easy!). If you see/touch the tweed that I have on that bag, you would understand and would not worry about the tweed dropping off/molting. I would however for my bag be careful not to lean against things that have hook like surface or something that sticks out for fear of snagging the tweed and unraveling it - but then again I would take same precaution on a chanel leather bag :shrugs: Oh and I would not rub very strongly against the tweed on purpose either but I can't imagine why I would do that to a handbag so I thought I wouldn't have that problem?
Anyway, back to more relevant point for you - I don't think this is "normal" for Chanel tweed. I would say that because there are so many DIFFERENT TYPES of Chanel material that make the tweed fabric!! Those with angora tends to possibly fuzz more, those with pure pressed wool tends to be more durable (but doesn't have that "warmer" look), those with fantasy tweed weaving and other gorgeous embellishments depends on what type of material used on the embellishments, so on and so forth.
So far, my chanel tweed jackets do not have the problem you described on the bag. Further, if you browse and read the jackets forum and you read up on tweed jacket owners comments, you will see the reason that Chanel is famous for their tweed jacket - it's the cut, tailoring and last but absolutely not least - the quality of the tweed material. it's usually outstanding. I'm not saying they're ALL durable and excellent - there's bound to be a few fails here and there, but the general quality expectation is great.
case in point - I own typically all new jackets, however, I did buy one vintage chanel jacket. it's authenticated and it's from the 80's. Not one bald spot/fuzz or issue whatsoever. it's impeccable (and a steal :P that's why I fell for it as I wouldn't be able to find that simple nice style in current season even if I try!).
The tweed you showed on this bag IS quite gorgeous and different than the typical tweed you see on the bags. it's got gorgeous fluffy texture which look more like boucle. It reminds me of the material on one of the recent pre-fall black jacket with white cuff and standing collar jacket that I tried on (below). That one when touching and brushing my hands against the fabric, did not molt at all and when you do so you sort of get the feeling it wont. did your fabric feel that way? I think you can feel logically how loosely woven it feels and whether or not it might continue to molt as a possibility. Trust your gut rather than your SA's word because I honestly wonder how long he/she has had that bag in possession to know for sure?

I think your SA could be right but I wouldn't count on it but rather take really great photos and videos of its molting. Definitely play with it at home without taking tag off for a few days. I would observe and if it still "molts" then perhaps consider if you want to return within the allowable window?

I hope it works out for you!!! it's a cute bag!
View attachment 3805388
Hi Kendie. I have the same jacket as you. It is dropping fur. Do you have the same problem?