Buying makeup: a chore or a treat?

I love it from Bergdorf’s Cle Se Peau and Guerlain can’t get enough! Sisley too is so gorgeous and subtle. And Chanel! Baby pink and pale pinks and peaches are my love!

It’s a chore, at today’s prices.

I can never choose the right shade myself unless a SA helps. Lip products used to be a treat but now I have too many so banned until I use up the ones I have.
Many online stores have digital try on.
It works well.
Inexpensive and quality lip products are available.
The beauty section at Target is amazing. So many choices at all price points.
And no I don’t rep Target, I just recently was awed by that section while picking up household goods.

Reactions: sdkitty
Sometimes a treat, sometimes a chore. I've been on a mostly no-buy for a while because I have SO MUCH. I've only bought a couple foundations (Milani, L'Oreal) in lighter shades and I'm replacing things like mascara and liner as I use them up. My favorite eyeliners and mascaras are drugstore items. My late mother looooved her makeup but after she passed away I donated a lot of shadows and pallets to Project Beautyshare, gave some away to friends, and kept some for myself. I further gave away some of the ones I kept after I realized I was not using them.

It feels great having lightened the load. I have bought a couple lipsticks in the last few years, one because it was my birthday and I wanted a Gucci lipstick (color is Devotion, love it!) and another because I had a promotional gift card at Bloomie's with an expiry date (picked out Mac's Macximal Matte in Sin.)

I am actually having a really good time learning to use up what I have. I've learned what colors and formulas I usually like, and I push myself to mix it up. It's oddly satisfying hitting pan in a product for me!

• Love
Reactions: limom
Sometimes a treat, sometimes a chore. I've been on a mostly no-buy for a while because I have SO MUCH. I've only bought a couple foundations (Milani, L'Oreal) in lighter shades and I'm replacing things like mascara and liner as I use them up. My favorite eyeliners and mascaras are drugstore items. My late mother looooved her makeup but after she passed away I donated a lot of shadows and pallets to Project Beautyshare, gave some away to friends, and kept some for myself. I further gave away some of the ones I kept after I realized I was not using them.

It feels great having lightened the load. I have bought a couple lipsticks in the last few years, one because it was my birthday and I wanted a Gucci lipstick (color is Devotion, love it!) and another because I had a promotional gift card at Bloomie's with an expiry date (picked out Mac's Macximal Matte in Sin.)

I am actually having a really good time learning to use up what I have. I've learned what colors and formulas I usually like, and I push myself to mix it up. It's oddly satisfying hitting pan in a product for me!

What is project beautyshare?

What is project beautyshare?
They're a charity based in Spokane and they accept new and certain gently used beauty items (think things that can be sanitized, like palettes, powders, and so on, their site is more in depth). I found out about them through Taylor Wynn on Youtube who has collaborated with them on fundraisers. My mom helped me fill up a box with our makeup a couple times when she was alive and suddenly having an outlet for things to go made it so much easier.

I don't mind paying to send things there--a lot can fit in a flat rate box, honestly. And palettes (not those that hit pan) are definitely on their accept list, and I felt good knowing things would get used. I also threw in a bunch of the travel size and sample size products that got hoarded with no real end in sight. My mom and I also a had lot of fun lining the box with wrapped sanitary pads per their recommendation--they're a much needed item that they can then distribute!

I have also donated to local hygiene supply drives (again, lots of the hotel soaps, tiny toothpastes from the dentist, etc) but being able to do a bigger purge of shadows/pressed products that not every org accepts was a relief for me.

• Thanks
Reactions: sdkitty and limom