Buying a New Mobile Phone on Ebay

I just got Sprint's version of the razr and looked on ebay first. The phone is about $300 in the store (incld. tax) and just over $200 on ebay. I decided t go ahead and buy it in the store because of the warranty. I know Sprint will replace my phone if it breaks, I don't know that the ebay seller will. I'd rather pay an extra $100 and not worry. I'd take that into consideration when purchasing!

fendifashion said:
I've been looking at the Blackberry phones on eBay a lot lately. Can't decide what I like, what is best, what sellers seem the best, best price, etc.
you might want to be super careful with the Blackberry on Ebay. It's been known for scammers to list those and take off with your money like they did on the xbox, laptops, and ipods. Be sure to read the sellers fb with a fine tooth comb. Also ask for pictures of the phone you'll be recieving.

When I bought my black razor from eBay, it took almost a month to arrive :rant: and since I was cellphone-less throughout that month of waiting, I was not amused.
But it all depends on your seller.

Hi quadband means that you can use it in any country because of the bands which in north america we use 900 and 1800 and all the other countries use 850 and 1900.... Also if you buy of ebay and the phone is unlocked you lose automatically the manufacturer warranty, which in this case would be Motorola. So any issues with the phone would have to be resolved buy the ebay seller. The best website I can think of is www.importgsm.com they are very secure selling phones and they're inexpensive, I bought a couple from them and never had any problems. Also be very careful with those amazing deals on ebay especially from London or Africa most of the time they are scams, I already experienced one and lost about 600 dlls.

i've heard that lala-west is a good seller, from howardforums.com, a phone forum, that has a lot of info on buyers and scammers and phones in general. Also if you want to buy from an online company i've heard plemix.com and newegg.com are good plus they offer warranties.

I've been looking at the Blackberry phones on eBay a lot lately. Can't decide what I like, what is best, what sellers seem the best, best price, etc.

I bought my Blackberry off of ebay, and I've been really, really happy. Trying to avoid a scam artist, I purposefully looked for someone who wasn't a powerseller, who didn't have any other phones for sale, who wasn't a heavy seller, and who didn't have any phone comments in his history. The guy I bought it from had only had it a month or so when he got a new job and they wanted him to use a Treo. I only paid $45 for a basically new phone.

There was a problem, on Blackberry's side. He had cancelled his service but for whatever reason they didn't release the phone and it was preventing me from signing up for service. The guy called BB, I called BB and it got fixed.

Aside from my very first phone, I have bought every replacement off ebay (even the current Treo that I'm using now). Here are my suggestions:

1. I always bought my phone from a person and not a store/dealer. Most regular people are selling their phone because they upgraded to something else so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

2. Feedback matters! I also see what other items they have sold recently. If its been a bunch of cell phones, i don't buy from them (possible theft issues).

3. Ask for the ESN number beforehand and call the carrier to make sure its clear. Also, only buy from someone that guarentees that the ESN is clear or your money back.

4. Check your carrier to make sure the phone will work on your service. Some sellers will unlock phones to work on a variety of serivices, but this doesn't always work (most of the time it doesn't).
HTH :smile: