Buyer wants refund for a crappy reason

While I understand that it is my fault and I should have paid closer attention, it's a little ridiculous that ebay has "14 days money back, free return shipping" automatically selected for you. Unless there is an issue with the item, I don't see why free return shipping is necessary. This is not my first transaction, so I know how to list items, etc., although, I have never had anyone request a return or anything of the sort. I could have sworn that the returns not accepted option was automatic in the past, though.

Oh well. Lesson definitely learned! Thanks for your opinions everyone!

Wow. 14 days FREE returns? It's the Nordstrom invasion onto eBay, only no overhead costs. This is totally ridiculous of a policy, and for someone with buyer's remorse to just try things out for a couple of weeks, then send things back is just crazy.

IrisCole said:
+1.

I'd just try and say, as politely as possible, that while you certainly want people to be happy with their purchases, you don't accept returns. You might also offer to let her use your photos so that she can resell the bag herself.

Huh +1?
I agree with iriscole. I dont think it fair to return an item bc of a change of heart. If it snad, i can understand why...

My default option is "14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping". I didn't even realize that you could have "seller pays return shipping" selected for you, by default. This is very unfortunate :sad:.

Wow. 14 days FREE returns? It's the Nordstrom invasion onto eBay, only no overhead costs. This is totally ridiculous of a policy, and for someone with buyer's remorse to just try things out for a couple of weeks, then send things back is just crazy.

It's not a policy. Every seller has the option to select their own refund policy. The choices are 'no refund policy' or accepts refunds with the following options: 14, 30, or 60 days after receiving the item, refund will be money back or 'money back or exchange (buyer's choice), and return shipping paid by buyer or seller.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/eTRSupdate.html

Starting June 1, only those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a 14-day or longer return policy with a money-back option will qualify for the greatest average boost in Best Match and 20% final value fee discount.

You can choose not to offer 1-day handling or a 14-day or longer returns on some or all of your listings. Based on your great track record, all your listings will continue to receive some additional exposure and a Top-rated seller badge. But only your listings with both of these services will receive the maximum exposure and 20% final value fee discount.

This is one of eBay's policies. For edification.

Last edited:
While I understand that it is my fault and I should have paid closer attention, it's a little ridiculous that ebay has "14 days money back, free return shipping" automatically selected for you. Unless there is an issue with the item, I don't see why free return shipping is necessary. This is not my first transaction, so I know how to list items, etc., although, I have never had anyone request a return or anything of the sort. I could have sworn that the returns not accepted option was automatic in the past, though.

Oh well. Lesson definitely learned! Thanks for your opinions everyone!

Do you have a dropdown to change the refund policy in the individual item form? When I try to list an item, the form doesn't. I have to click the link with the tag "Change your return policy". All of my items default to "Returns not accepted for this item."

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/eTRSupdate.html

Starting June 1, only those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a 14-day or longer return policy with a money-back option will qualify for the greatest average boost in Best Match and 20% final value fee discount.

You can choose not to offer 1-day handling or a 14-day or longer returns on some or all of your listings. Based on your great track record, all your listings will continue to receive some additional exposure and a Top-rated seller badge. But only your listings with both of these services will receive the maximum exposure and 20% final value fee discount.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP's problem. You may want to add some context to this to help the OP out.

Do you have a dropdown to change the refund policy in the individual item form? When I try to list an item, the form doesn't. I have to click the link with the tag "Change your return policy". All of my items default to "Returns not accepted for this item."

Yes, that is the option that I have as well. I have to click "Change return policy" and then click the "Returns not accepted for this item". Personally, I feel like this is some sort of trap. While creating a listing, I tend to scroll through the 'fine print' and stop at the drop down menus, as well as blank spots and fill them in. The fact that the return policy doesn't even look like something you have to fill out is shady. Verrrry shady, ebay. It used to be on the main form, but it's not anymore. I think this is what tripped me up.

Yes, that is the option that I have as well. I have to click "Change return policy" and then click the "Returns not accepted for this item". Personally, I feel like this is some sort of trap. While creating a listing, I tend to scroll through the 'fine print' and stop at the drop down menus, as well as blank spots and fill them in. The fact that the return policy doesn't even look like something you have to fill out is shady. Verrrry shady, ebay. It used to be on the main form, but it's not anymore.

I honestly can't remember if I had to change mine to not accepted at one point. But I don't think I did. The last time I listed, I recall changing it in the item form. I can see having it as preference for all your auctions. The shady part is defaulting to returns! Though, reading ebay's help document on it, they definitely seem to favor allowing returns.

I honestly can't remember if I had to change mine to not accepted at one point. But I don't think I did. The last time I listed, I recall changing it in the item form. I can see having it as preference for all your auctions. The shady part is defaulting to returns! Though, reading ebay's help document on it, they definitely seem to favor allowing returns.

Oh, I'm sure they do. It's less work for them because they won't have disgruntled buyers calling and complaining about wanting a refund. Or, not as many as usual.

It definitely makes me lean more towards selling on Bonanza, for sure.

UPDATE:

In case anyone is interested, I emailed the buyer and told her that I didn't think changing her mind warranted a refund. She just emailed me back and said that she completely understood and that she will relist the bag on her own. Crisis averted!

Thanks you so much for your input, ladies!