buyer want to buy direct from me and use paypal

Sep 22, 2006
ok, i have another buy with 1000+ rating want to buy a chanel direct from me off ebay and ask if i accept paypal. guess she wants a lower price. my question is wut's the risk of doing it? the first thought i have is, this is consider as money transfer, not a payment of good right? does the person who sends the money can reversal the action?

The risk will be on her really, she'll have no protection from ebay and only the option of INR if something goes wrong. you can send her an invoice as normal for the payment, it'll still be payment for goods.
others will chime in though.

I've done this before to get a better price from the seller. (they save on fees) I've had no issues. Just check the feedback of the person you are dealing with.

Like the others have said, the risk is on her as a buyer NOT you. She can only file an item not received with PP so as long as you ship insured with sig.confirmation you will be ok in the event of the package going missing.

I have done this both as a buyer and seller. If I´m doing it as a buyer I need to feel 100% confident about the seller, since she could ship an empty package to me, and I wouldn´t have any recourse what so ever!

If the buyer has an unconfirmed address you will only have partial paypal protection (you won't be protected from unauthorised payment) but if the buyer has a confirmed address you'll have protection for both 'item not received' and for 'unauthorised payment'.
A buyer in Germany has just bought an item from me directly through paypal and because of her unconfirmed address it's showing as partially eligible for seller protection.

This will probably be a hot potato, but don’t you see something wrong here?

Why do they care if you pay the fees or not?

If someone is willing to cheat eBay out of the fees, what integrity can you expect from the rest of the deal?
  • want you to declare it as a gift
  • demand that you pay customs
  • declare item not as described
  • claim it was not received
  • is the account hijacked sticking someone else with the bill, which will probably be reversed and guess who loses then
Where could this “little bit of larceny” end?

Folks on this forum discuss selling authentic items and being honest with descriptions, pictures, etc., but it is OK to cheat the listing platform, or the government? :shocked:If you don’t like the fees or policies (which I often don’t), you have choices. I have taken some of my business to other sites, but eBay is still the most productive for me.

I sell off eBay, but they are custom items or expired or things I sell on other platforms. If I end an eBay auction early to sell, it goes into fixed price, buy it now or my store. eBay has earned their commission.

I have this exact scenario playing out right now on a 45 rpm record. We had an idea it might be worth something, but did not KNOW, so we put it in auction at $4.99. Immediately got an offer from another country offering $90 and they pointed out how they would buy it off eBay to save us money. Red Flag! :nono:

Before I could get back to them, they upped the offer to $120. (another red flag!) I politely wrote and said that we did not end auctions early unless it changed to a Buy It Now and did not really know the value of it, so we would keep it on auction. The potential buyer then wrote and said they would agree to buy it on eBay and sent me a link showing me a similar, but not exact record selling for $150 two years ago. Oh, and they would now pay $150.

With a day left, the record sits at $4.99 with one bid and 11 watchers. My final e-mail to the buyer was that I wished them luck and they may be able to save some money. Could we end up selling it for less than their offer? Sure, but with all the larceny in this deal, I may have been hit with a charge-back and lost my record as well.:mad:

Before you think I am totally naïve or downright stupid, we have had this scenario before. When we were very new to eBay we listed a record for 99 cents and had an offer from France for $99. We took it. It still sold through eBay, but we considered ourselves lucky. We were, but…..about 6 months later we listed another record that got immediate attention and an offer for $600. Really tempting, but we let it ride.

It stayed at around $20 until 4 minutes before the end of the auction, but in that length of time it went up to $1,326.01 to a fellow in Italy. We would have been ecstatic to sell it for $600, but were MUCH happier with the ending price. :yahoo: The sale completed without any problems. This was the most dramatic example, but we have many more examples.

Just some thoughts and probably worth every penny you paid for it.

i am still bit confused here. so if i do it directly, can buyer file item not received or unauthorized payment? btw, the buyer is international so package through usps might not require signature. thanks

Last edited:
Is the buyers address with Paypal confirmed or unconfirmed?
If the buyer has an unconfirmed address you will only have partial paypal protection (you won't be protected if the buyer files an unauthorised payment) but if the buyer has a confirmed address you'll have protection for both 'item not received' and for 'unauthorised payment' claims.

You can use paypal on most websites and for anything so of course you can use it to sell something on your own. Just do what everyone has said and you should be fine. I would definately not send it to an uncomfirmed address though.

I agree, as long as the seller as good ratings and ships with tracking, insurance and DOES NOT waive the right for signature upon delivery then I think its fine. Go with your instinct though. We can only give advice. It's your money though.

I have to say I agree with what eBayguy said. Quite often I've received message asking if I sell items to them and end the auctions. I always said "Thanks, but no thanks". And most of times I ended up selling more than their offered price. For me, why bother? I prefer to go through a secure pass which selling on eBay and having records on both eBay and PayPal. I guess I'm a conservative person for what involves money transaction...