Burberry quality issues with bags?

dignatius

Nov 3, 2015
I bought a beautiful Dark Birch Note bag from LN-CC that was shipped from Italy. In the first 5 days of wearing, the back of the magnetic clasp fell off several times. Given that I really love the look of the bag, I really wanted to keep the bag. I screwed the loose piece back into place until it felt secure but it still loosened up within a day or so. So I contacted Burberry customer service via email to invoke their warranty, attaching my purchase receipt and a couple of pics. They directed me to go to my local Burberry store to have them look at it, which I did. The store told me they couldn't do anything because I didn't buy it from an official Burberry store. They were however, more than happy to offer a repair service which I would need to pay for.

Luckily I'm still in the timeframe to return the bag but frankly, I'm shocked that Burberry charges >$1000 for a bag but not provide any customer service or basic warranty in return. A clasp falling off seems like $30 bag to me. Has their quality nosedived in the past few years or is this typical for the brand? I do love the look but am a hesitant to request an exchange from LN-CC in case something similar happens with the replacement bag.

Attachments

• 20240219_182457.jpg
    20240219_182457.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240219_182446.jpg
    20240219_182446.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
While I have bought Burberry RTW, I have never bought a bag, so tbh I can’t say much about their bag quality.
However the general policy of not exchanging a bag that was sold at a 3rd party retailer is not unheard of for other brands. I think I’ve read somewhere on the forum for YSL. It may have to do with how they track their sales and inventory in their system which may be different from the 3rd party retailer.

If you still really want the bag and am okay with paying a repair fee, then fix it.
But if it would bother you to much to worry about it breaking again or having a faulty exchange; then I’d say return it. Not worth the stress.

Reactions: dignatius
I would up returning the defective bag and ordering a new one. After a week of use, the new one appears to be fine. However, while researching my original question, I did see some comments on reddit complaining about inconsistent quality and poor post-sale customer service from Burberry. That's pretty gutsy given how much they are charging for their bags. I'm going to keep my new bag as I do love the unusual color scheme, but this will be my last Burberry purchase. There are just too many other solid brands out there that I enjoy.

Last edited:
I bought a beautiful Dark Birch Note bag from LN-CC that was shipped from Italy. In the first 5 days of wearing, the back of the magnetic clasp fell off several times. Given that I really love the look of the bag, I really wanted to keep the bag. I screwed the loose piece back into place until it felt secure but it still loosened up within a day or so. So I contacted Burberry customer service via email to invoke their warranty, attaching my purchase receipt and a couple of pics. They directed me to go to my local Burberry store to have them look at it, which I did. The store told me they couldn't do anything because I didn't buy it from an official Burberry store. They were however, more than happy to offer a repair service which I would need to pay for.

Luckily I'm still in the timeframe to return the bag but frankly, I'm shocked that Burberry charges >$1000 for a bag but not provide any customer service or basic warranty in return. A clasp falling off seems like $30 bag to me. Has their quality nosedived in the past few years or is this typical for the brand? I do love the look but am a hesitant to request an exchange from LN-CC in case something similar happens with the replacement bag.
I've seen quite a few people complain about this piece falling off on Nordstrom. Clearly a defect.

I think Request a replacement from LNCC or a refund. If the next one gets damaged Burberry will just charge you to mend a broken one either way. Id try and get a refund and write the bag off as dodgy.

While I have bought Burberry RTW, I have never bought a bag, so tbh I can’t say much about their bag quality.
However the general policy of not exchanging a bag that was sold at a 3rd party retailer is not unheard of for other brands. I think I’ve read somewhere on the forum for YSL. It may have to do with how they track their sales and inventory in their system which may be different from the 3rd party retailer.

If you still really want the bag and am okay with paying a repair fee, then fix it.
But if it would bother you to much to worry about it breaking again or having a faulty exchange; then I’d say return it. Not worth the stress.
Whattt no wayyt