Builder gel for dry, brittle nails? Or some other products?

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
My nails just aren't what they used to be. They are getting dry and thin and ridged. I know that collagen and cuticle oil can help but I'm looking for an immediate improvement. I've heard that using a builder gel can be a good way to go. I have an extensive nail polish collection so if I could still use them on top of something I'd be really happy.

Do you use builder gel and/or other products? Can you recommend products that I can use, or is this something I need to get done at a salon? I'd like to minimize cost if possible.

In my opinion, there is nothing that can directly improve the nail itself besides diet and supplementation.
Once the nail grows out, it's technically dead cells of keratin.
(There are some clear coats that claim to have keratin and collagen that help the nail but in my experience, I see no significant difference.)

There are products that can provide protection and support, such as builder gels or powders.
They can also alter the shape and growth of the nail if it has been previously damaged or warped from pressure or repeated use (like typing).
However, the main thing is that these products only provide support. They do not necessarily strengthen the nail itself. Once a nail has a powder or gel support, it should not been assumed that the nail itself is strong and fine and that additional force or strain is okay.

I'm not saying you should not use builder gels on your nails. I think they're a great way to provide protection and support while you take supplements such as biotin or increase the amount of protein in your diet.
For myself, if I find a nail is weak or has a crack, I use powder at home as a temporary fix and as added protection.
Powder is annoying to remove though so a quick and dirty way that I use is a very thin layer of tissue paper. After splitting it apart, I cut it to the shape that I want, put a base coat on, put the tissue paper on top, and then put a top coat. The only caveat with this is that it doesn't look cute lol.

For me, the best thing has been biotin supplements. They have strengthened my fingernails tremendously.
Not so much for my toenails because they received a lot of trauma in my youth (very bad nail picking habit), and what I did to them is not entirely reversible but the biotin definitely helps.
I get a lot of compliments on my nails at work and people are very impressed when they find out that my nails are natural.
I used to have very dry nails and cuticles but no longer. I apply nail cream to my nails on a daily basis, at least 1-2 times during the day and before I go to sleep.

I'm sorry that this is probably something that you do not want to hear and you want something immediate, but correcting something that is created biologically from yourself is not generally a fast fix (unless it's a cosmetic surgical procedure).
Hope you find something useful from this post though, good luck!

Reactions: lorihmatthews
My nails just aren't what they used to be. They are getting dry and thin and ridged. I know that collagen and cuticle oil can help but I'm looking for an immediate improvement. I've heard that using a builder gel can be a good way to go. I have an extensive nail polish collection so if I could still use them on top of something I'd be really happy.

Do you use builder gel and/or other products? Can you recommend products that I can use, or is this something I need to get done at a salon? I'd like to minimize cost if possible.
I am going to pm you a product line that may be of interest to you.
Also nail supplements do help but you have to be patient as it takes time to see results

Reactions: lorihmatthews
I would advise against using a gel unless you plan on using it very short term. it took me almost a year for my nails recover from repeated use.
I'm a nail DIYer and I use gel consistently along with dip powders. If you don't mind me asking, what problems did you encounter that took you almost a year for your nails to recover?

There won't be immediate improvement. Biotin supplement is good for nails (and hair). This can be an ongoing use without any side effects. If your ridges are vertical, that's probably due to aging and completely unavoidable.

Use a nail strengthener such as OPI Nail Envy. It hardens your nails while you have them on. I've used both the clear and colored ones (Bubble Bath, Hawaiian Orchid and Samoan Sand). They are all the same to me. If you use OPI Nail Envy, you're to apply a new layer every second day for a week before removing everything and start the process over. Having said that, that simply means you cannot apply anything on top of it.

Cosmetic fix wise, builder gel will not exactly fix your problem other than covering it up to allow you to continue to do your nails immediately. However, please assess the information below and make your own decision as I'm not trying to cause you any harm.

• Builder gel overlay is great for protecting thin and weak nails. It allows your natural nails to grow underneath because it now doesn't keep breaking before you reach a longer length. However, this does not guarantee stronger natural nails other than being able to grow them out.
  • Builder gel besides being used as an overlay on your natural nails, can also be used to extend your nails with the help of paper forms.
  • You can use your gel polish over your builder gel overlay or extension without a problem. If you're a dipper like myself, you can certainly dip over it too.
  • If you typically experience lifting around the edges, one thing I can recommend is to use a rubber base (it's a gel product and requires curing too) before you do your builder gel overlay. Rubber base provides stronger adhesion.
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of soaking off gel because acetone is way too drying for me and I already have a dry skin problem. Instead, I use gel remover. Just file off the top coat layer then apply the gel remover, let it sit for a minute before you start scraping the softened product off. Then repeat a few times until all or most product has come off and you can file or buff off the little that's left behind.
  • When using any gel products, please ensure that you clean off any excess with isopropyl alcohol that may have gotten onto your skin, including your cuticle line and side walls, before curing. This is to ensure that you don't start developing a gel allergy where your skin turns red, you feel a burning sensation and/or your skin feels itchy especially around your fingers or hands.
If you are in the US and would like to find rubber bases for purchase, let me know and I can share with you where I buy mine. I shop small businesses so they are online based and not at Sally's or Ulta.

Hope you find this information useful :smile:

• Insightful
Reactions: limom
There won't be immediate improvement. Biotin supplement is good for nails (and hair). This can be an ongoing use without any side effects. If your ridges are vertical, that's probably due to aging and completely unavoidable.

Use a nail strengthener such as OPI Nail Envy. It hardens your nails while you have them on. I've used both the clear and colored ones (Bubble Bath, Hawaiian Orchid and Samoan Sand). They are all the same to me. If you use OPI Nail Envy, you're to apply a new layer every second day for a week before removing everything and start the process over. Having said that, that simply means you cannot apply anything on top of it.

Cosmetic fix wise, builder gel will not exactly fix your problem other than covering it up to allow you to continue to do your nails immediately. However, please assess the information below and make your own decision as I'm not trying to cause you any harm.

• Builder gel overlay is great for protecting thin and weak nails. It allows your natural nails to grow underneath because it now doesn't keep breaking before you reach a longer length. However, this does not guarantee stronger natural nails other than being able to grow them out.
  • Builder gel besides being used as an overlay on your natural nails, can also be used to extend your nails with the help of paper forms.
  • You can use your gel polish over your builder gel overlay or extension without a problem. If you're a dipper like myself, you can certainly dip over it too.
  • If you typically experience lifting around the edges, one thing I can recommend is to use a rubber base (it's a gel product and requires curing too) before you do your builder gel overlay. Rubber base provides stronger adhesion.
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of soaking off gel because acetone is way too drying for me and I already have a dry skin problem. Instead, I use gel remover. Just file off the top coat layer then apply the gel remover, let it sit for a minute before you start scraping the softened product off. Then repeat a few times until all or most product has come off and you can file or buff off the little that's left behind.
  • When using any gel products, please ensure that you clean off any excess with isopropyl alcohol that may have gotten onto your skin, including your cuticle line and side walls, before curing. This is to ensure that you don't start developing a gel allergy where your skin turns red, you feel a burning sensation and/or your skin feels itchy especially around your fingers or hands.
If you are in the US and would like to find rubber bases for purchase, let me know and I can share with you where I buy mine. I shop small businesses so they are online based and not at Sally's or Ulta.

Hope you find this information useful :smile:
Excellent recommendation with the Rubber Base, thank you! My gel was barely lasting a week and so far it’s taking me to a solid two weeks!!

That's good to hear! What brand rubber base do you use? Would love to check it out :smile:
I’m still learning! I used the Gelish rubber base, two coats, then two coats of Gelish polish and the no wipe top coat. I just had one lift (after only a few days) but I think I did that finger too thick and so it separated and probably got moisture underneath and lifted.

Reactions: EverSoElusive
I’m still learning! I used the Gelish rubber base, two coats, then two coats of Gelish polish and the no wipe top coat. I just had one lift (after only a few days) but I think I did that finger too thick and so it separated and probably got moisture underneath and lifted.
Sometimes it could be due to invisible cuticle or oil on the nail or your mani edges are too close to the cuticle :smile:

If you suspect there's moisture between your mani layer and natural nail, I suggest that you remove the mani layer completely and inspect your nail before redoing the nail. Moisture in between is bad news because it you might end up with greenies i.e. nail fungus.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mrs.Z