Bracelet vs Hoops vs Diamond Solitaire for an indecisive girl in healthcare?

ReiChan1

Jun 14, 2014
Hi ladies and gents! I would love to have help on deciding on a celebratory/early birthday jewelry purchase for me.

I've been accepted to medical school recently. This is something I've worked harder than I could put into words for. My family and I had been saving up for a celebratory gift for years, and jewelry is always my answer for gifts.

My family lean bracelet or watch since I don't have any, but I know with my future profession bracelets may not even be allowed at work or wojld interfere with my job. I'm someone who wears my jewelry 24/7 and don't usually wear jewelry I can't keep on for... years at a time :P My mother loves the idea of the JUC or Cartier Love for me, both options thay are absolutely gorgeous. For a bracelet I'm more partial to a smaller tennis bracelet (love bling!), but again, I'm concerned I may not wear it.

Necklaces have always been my guilty pleasure, but I just have so many... i would eventually love a larger diamond solitaire, but there are so many i have that i love and don't wear. I have two lobe piercings and almost exclusively wear hoops- I'd love to upgrade my smaller diamond hoops one day as well.

So... TLDR:

Cartier JUC vs cartier Love vs Tennis bracelet vs Diamond hoops vs Diamond Solitaire necklace... haha!

I'm looking for a gift for myself! I'm about to start a lifelong career in Healthcare so I worry about the impracticality of bracelets and rings. I have too many necklaces to buy another in good faith, and although I'd love to upgrade my hoops one day, I'm not sure if this is the right occasion. I know the most important thing is to try on in person, but I feel like I'm driving myself insane staring at shiny things on the internet before I can get a day off to explore! My heart of hearts says a bracelet, but I'd hate to have it sit collecting dust in a jewelry box.

Thanks so much for reading my late night intrusive thoughts:smile:

Last edited:
Congratulations! I'm not a doctor but some of my friends are. They tend to avoid bracelets and rings (besides wedding sets) and wear only necklaces mainly for work. I'd avoid the love bracelet and opt for something that can be taken on and off easily. Have fun trying everything on and choosing.
Thank you!! This is exactly why I asked this lovely forum :heart: you make an especially good point about the love bracelet- I'm sure screwing it on every weekend just to unscrew it before starting the work week would drive me bonkers (and potentially wear down the screw).

• Love
Reactions: caruava
Congratulations on your fabulous achievement!

How about selling all the necklaces/jewellery you don't wear/like anymore and add the proceeds from those to your gift funds and purchase that larger diamond solitaire that you would love? Also, it's versatile in that it can be worn on a longer chain and be hidden at work, and possibly a shorter chain for other occasions?

Practicality is the order of the day, in your work circumstances and, as discussed above, you need to be fuss-free. Also, discreet for a few reasons.

As the saying goes, it's best to save up and buy what you really love and not settle, otherwise lots more money is spent getting to the end goal later!

Congratulations on your medical school acceptance, that is fantastic! Well done you! Like you, I love jewellery, but I have to admit to being biased. My choice would be to get the tennis bracelet. I don’t find them to be impractical.
Having said that, if you do find it to be impractical I’d go for the diamond hoops.

Are you’re planning to wear this gift in med school?
Earrings will be the practical choice. Small ones. A bracelet will most likely be collecting dust in a box for the next 4-5 years - or more depending on specialty. A necklace will most likely have to be worn inside your clothing.

Congratulations on your fabulous achievement!

How about selling all the necklaces/jewellery you don't wear/like anymore and add the proceeds from those to your gift funds and purchase that larger diamond solitaire that you would love? Also, it's versatile in that it can be worn on a longer chain and be hidden at work, and possibly a shorter chain for other occasions?

Practicality is the order of the day, in your work circumstances and, as discussed above, you need to be fuss-free. Also, discreet for a few reasons.

As the saying goes, it's best to save up and buy what you really love and not settle, otherwise lots more money is spent getting to the end goal later!
This is a fantastic point! So much of my jewelry is sentimental so I hang onto them, although I'm sure there's some decluttering that I could do.

The large diamond solitaire is absolutely on my "buy eventually" list- I'm a large girl (5'9 but everyone always thinks I'm much taller!) And would love to eventually have something just short of 1ct. That being said, I have a STUNNING and incredibly sentimental Tiffany Schlumberger Butterfly pendant that I've been meaning to extend to a longer length to wear with my DBTY as well as under my scrubs when the occasion calls for it. Perhaps the gift was inside my jewelry box all along! :P

Reactions: MiniMabel
Congratulations on your medical school acceptance, that is fantastic! Well done you! Like you, I love jewellery, but I have to admit to being biased. My choice would be to get the tennis bracelet. I don’t find them to be impractical.
Having said that, if you do find it to be impractical I’d go for the diamond hoops.
Thank you! I too am partial to the tennis bracelet. The shine, the sparkle... I think at the right size it isn't too ostentatious at all, and just has that uncanny ability to go with anything and everything. I'm sure I'd be so entranced with it that I won't mind taking it on and off as needed!

Are you’re planning to wear this gift in med school?
Earrings will be the practical choice. Small ones. A bracelet will most likely be collecting dust in a box for the next 4-5 years - or more depending on specialty. A necklace will most likely have to be worn inside your clothing.
I'm hoping to get at least semifrequent wear out of them in medical school, and then frequent wear once I'm out. I can't say I'm particularly drawn towards a surgical specialty which would demand no jewelry period, but the saying goes that we all change our minds anyway come rotations! I'm not too concerned the first couple years since they're largely classroom based, the last couple when rotations start could present a problem. I buy jewelry as a reminder to love myself, so I don't mind being the only one who knows I'm wearing beautiful things underneath my hospital-issued free scrubs :smile:

You and another commenter have raised earrings up my list!

I vote earrings… that seems safer for what you do but does it have to be hoops? Just thinking about diamond studs or something you don’t have to worry about snagging on a mask.
Diamond studs! Why didn't I think of that! I had a pair of affordable 1ct moissanite screwbacks that I absolutely loved, but I think the screwbacks messed with my sensitive ears and causes consistent infections which made me remove them and opt instead for hoops. I'm terrified of losing standard pushbacks (I've lost earrings with unsecure closings before), but maybe guardian backings will work better.

I have a few doctor friends and it depends on their specialty. The ones who have family practices tend to wear jewelry more often; like wedding sets, diamond studs necklaces etc. I also know 2 heart surgeons both male that don’t wear anything except a watch on occasion.

If I were you, I would do diamond studs, you can wear them anywhere.

Thank you! I too am partial to the tennis bracelet. The shine, the sparkle... I think at the right size it isn't too ostentatious at all, and just has that uncanny ability to go with anything and everything. I'm sure I'd be so entranced with it that I won't mind taking it on and off as needed!
Or ... get a tennis NECKLACE!

Reactions: skyqueen