Bollywood actor Shahid Kapur in advert that promotes skin 'whitening'

I was talking to a guy who was involved in recruiting and he says your name can put off potential employers. I have a very unusual and ethnic name as does he so he changed his very Indian-sounding name to Harry. I hate that!

i could go on all day about that. Not everybody need to be named Jessica and John. GAWD!!! it burns me up.!!!

I was talking to a guy who was involved in recruiting and he says your name can put off potential employers. I have a very unusual and ethnic name as does he so he changed his very Indian-sounding name to Harry. I hate that!

Is your friend Punjabi?? LMAO! Harry is a very common-American name that Punjabi people seem to choose.

Speaking of which my name is fairly ethic and since I was little my Dad calls me Harvie and everyone around does do. However I have to say that more people that I expected call me by my full name which is cool with me too.

It's horrible, yes, but unfortunately, that's the culture. In India (and I'm Indian haha), they really care about your skin tone. You could be quite average looking, but if you're fair, you're set (and this probably makes more of a difference in small villages, etc.)... although, I have a rich relative who is incredibly fair and her parents married her off at 18. Go figure. It's hard for other cultures to grasp (not that it's easy for me to), because here, some people are obsessed with the reverse (tanning). Neither is good (tanning is HORRIBLE for your skin), but it is what it is.

Bagsrmylife, he isn't my friend, just a guy I met as I am looking for a job. We spoke a lot about how pervasive racism is in society (i.e, the type that you can't see) and we got on to the topic of our respective appearances and names. I disagreed about Anglosizing your name but he's more money-hungry than me. My pride would never allow it and I'm not one to conceal my religious appearance or ethnic name. He on the other hand believes you do what it takes. *shrugs*

This comparison always makes me chuckle. It's different because of the connotations attached to it, historical and otherwise I'm going to do my best to not be politically incorrect but I seriously doubt that white women who go tanning are doing so in an effort to not look white. flip the script to women of colour and that's exactly what the reason is a lot of the time. To achieve a more eurocentric look. Part of being african means you understand the nuances of that very quickly, which must be why my mother was so vigilante about it early on. I know people who started bleaching at 15 or so just from watching their mother do it.. despite the health hazards. There's a belief that being lighter is better in terms of attractiveness, marraige prosepects etc... this is not just back home since it exists throughout the african diaspora. I saw a documentary about skin bleaching in jamaica as well. It makes me worry about our daughters :sad:

Agreed! You have to teach young girls of color early on that their skin is beautiful.

Girl, I go to the Ethiopians to get my hair done and on the sales shelf at a HAIR shop, Bleaching, whitening, etc creams.

If I have a girl, I'm naming her Charlize.

OOOH, I love that name! Great choice.

Its true, I've heard of several Indian/SE Asian countries where skin tone is valued like, say, thinness and height are valued in the western world. It's just human nature to find something to rank each other by, even if its absolutely ridiculous, I guess. :shrugs:

It's horrible, yes, but unfortunately, that's the culture. In India (and I'm Indian haha), they really care about your skin tone. You could be quite average looking, but if you're fair, you're set (and this probably makes more of a difference in small villages, etc.)... although, I have a rich relative who is incredibly fair and her parents married her off at 18. Go figure. It's hard for other cultures to grasp (not that it's easy for me to), because here, some people are obsessed with the reverse (tanning). Neither is good (tanning is HORRIBLE for your skin), but it is what it is.

Agreed, I'm Indian too and as I mentioned before, the major prejudice of skin color plays a huge role there... Do you remember the constant fairness creams advertised on TV? And how if you're darker, you're automatically not marriage material?

For a lot of cultures it's quite common to have an English name and a whatever culture you're from name. I worked with a girl once named Rowena who was dissapointed that her parents didn't give her a Korean name as well. I worked with a guy named Pierre who was Chinese and had a chinese name as well, but instead of picking an english name like his Chinese one they picked Pierre because they liked it.

Agreed, I'm Indian too and as I mentioned before, the major prejudice of skin color plays a huge role there... Do you remember the constant fairness creams advertised on TV? And how if you're darker, you're automatically not marriage material?

They still do but not as much. I'm sure that Fair & Lovely is still the big winner there. But Nivea, Ponds, etc all have their own version marketed in India.

I agree, exotikittenx. I have an English friend, and she'd be the first to tell you that she can't get any sun otherwise she'll burn. She's got great milky skin, and she looks younger than she is because she chooses to stay out of the sun. She and I both sort of "celebrate" our skin color by taking "ebony & ivory" pictures from time to time. :biggrin:

Very nice! :smile: I am light-skinned, but often envy dark skin tones because you can wear such gorgeous vibrant colors that look so amazing on tan or dark skin that look nowhere near as good on light skin.

This is sad. Lots of internal racism even in mild forms.

I'm a little all over the place with my skin color- olive, tan, pale, a combo of it. My friends notice it too! I don't do anything; they just change depending on the time of day, weather, whether I just got out of the shower or not, and so forth and sometimes at random.

Lol Fair and Lovely!! Use it and you will become a successful TV star and find a rich husband!