BMW 535i or Mercedes E class? Owners out there, help!

Though they are competitors, I feel the two makes market towards different clientele. Drive them and buy what you like more.

I am with Queen; I LOVE my MB.

Charles is right; MB had a rough time in the early 2000s. Their quaility has improved since then.

I would say BMW. As much as I loved MB before, the quality has really gone down IMO. Audi is another great option- great cars and their interior is amazing.

I have a MB E class, 1999 E430 and LOVE it! We were in the market for BMW, Volvo S80 and MB E-Class and got the MB for it's reputation (at the time). My sister has a BMW and for for the same age, her's is like it's 10 years older than mine!

Good luck!

OK, well I have experience with both a 745Li-and a535i(My SIL and BIL both owned one) and a S500(which is my current car).
Honest to god, the entire time my BIL and SIL had their cars, they were BOTH in the shop constantly. I have never seen cars that had to be in the shop like their BMW's. Whether it be the air conditioner one day and the radio the next, something was always going wrong. They had a lot of people say they BOTH had lemon's-but Im not sure how that explains my ex hairdresser's (x5??) BMW always being in the shop too, maybe they all had lemons? Ill give it to you, the new cars are amazing, and I would love to have a 6 series, but I am just too afraid I am going to get myself into something I cant get out of.

And my experience with my car, I have had a few problems with the lights, they seem to always go out and need to be replaced. I have replaced the headlights 2 times this year, and the tail lights had to be replaced 1 time this year, and 2 times last year, but other than that, I havent had any problems at all. Ive had my car since early 2005, it was a couple years old then('03 model), but it only had 7,000 miles on it (seriously!). I had it with absolutely no issues until the lights started acting up. I take my car into the MB dealership and they fix it with no issues, courtesy cleaning, courtesy fill-up, and a courtesy vehicle if they cant get mine done right away. Honestly, if I wasnt looking for a bigger vehicle(I want a SUV and I dont like the G wag or any of the other SUV's MB has to offer) I would get a new MB in a heartbeat!
Also, I think they are pretty safe cars IMHO. I will post pictures of my recent accident, I could have been hurt, but I wasnt and I have to thank MB for that, especially because I was on the freeway at a complete stop and the guy hit me going 45 MPH...
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with whatever you decide, and Im sure we all want pictures! lol

I also need to add that I am basing my experience in this accident and with this car on the accident I was in 2 years ago. Pretty much same thing, except I was at a red light, in a Chrysler 300-the guy hit me going about 20-25 MPH and the bumper absolutely wasted away destroying the tire and even messed up the hood! And that guy was going 20 MPH less than this last guy.
His car first, mine second...
same here! i had Mercedes E320, gorgeous car, low maintenance, my actual car is a BMW 545I (my second BMW) --> a piece of crap! get a Lexus! MB service is more upscale, excellent. BMW sucks!

I think MB E-class just had a facelift, although not much difference from the previous one. So, I'm guessing, in a year or two MB will have a totally new design of the E-class. Might wanna keep that in mind.

THe E60 BMW 5-series was launched in 2004. For the 2008 model, they did some small changes in the front/rear bumpers and headlights. Most car models stay for around 5-6 years, so perhaps sometime in 2009 there's gonna be a totally new model for the 5-series?

My family own both BMWs and MBs for years. I currently drive a 2004 BMW 320i but is switching to the new MB C-class early next year. I would love to stay with BMW, but the current 3-series has been around for 2 years, so in like 3 years there's gonna be a new model, while the new C-class is totally new, so I'm gonna be safe for another 5 years.

Perhaps it's just me, but I take the above things seriously when shopping for a new car. I hate to see a new model coming out after only like a year or 2.

BMW all the way! I was just out test driving cars with my dad, and I can say without a doubt that the BMW is a WAY better car! He has a MB E500 right now, so we test drove the new E550 which, frankly, was boring and stark inside. Mercedes is focusing much more on its SUVS and the S/CLS/CL/etc.. classes. The E has gotten left behind in terms of upgrades. He drove the BMW 550 and LOVED it! I have a BMW which I also adore, and they are such great cars. Very luxurious with lots of technology without being "intimidating" or complicated. Plus you can't beat the warranty. :tup:

i'd vote for the Mercedes E class. my father drives a mercedes and my mom drives a bmw...and throughout the same time, the bmw required more servicing the mercedes.

i guess it's also has to do with the amount of driving one does cause our bmw didn't have any problems for the 8yrs we had it. my mother drives a lot (due to traffic jam).
we're thinking to get a lexus next year...the hybrid one so more environmentally friendly :smile:

My family own both BMWs and MBs for years. I currently drive a 2004 BMW 320i but is switching to the new MB C-class early next year. I would love to stay with BMW, but the current 3-series has been around for 2 years, so in like 3 years there's gonna be a new model, while the new C-class is totally new, so I'm gonna be safe for another 5 years.

You should re-think the C class! Vlad and I test drove it, and while it looked AMAZING, the inside was less than impressive. They cut tons of corners to make the prices more friendly, but the lack of quality is evident on the inside :tdown:

Depends on the model though too I am sure!

You should re-think the C class! Vlad and I test drove it, and while it looked AMAZING, the inside was less than impressive. They cut tons of corners to make the prices more friendly, but the lack of quality is evident on the inside :tdown:

Depends on the model though too I am sure!

I made up my mind already on the C-class. I looked at the BMW 3-series and didnt really like what I saw, not much difference from my current one. Cars here are so bloody expensive, the C-230 amg avant garde that I'm getting costs nearly 80K... seriously. I would love to get the C-350 but hey I can't afford it over here. I am not considering any other brands, it was between BMW and MB only, and I chose the MB. I did have look at the inside, I'd say it's much better than my current beemer.

I've been driving BMW for years, I think it is time for a change.

MB i own one now and my family have always always been MB owners and they never fail us. Lol. Love their cars and i think their look is nicer than BMW cause imo BMWs looks too masculine.

OK, well I have experience with both a 745Li-and a535i(My SIL and BIL both owned one) and a S500(which is my current car).
Honest to god, the entire time my BIL and SIL had their cars, they were BOTH in the shop constantly. I have never seen cars that had to be in the shop like their BMW's. Whether it be the air conditioner one day and the radio the next, something was always going wrong. They had a lot of people say they BOTH had lemon's-but Im not sure how that explains my ex hairdresser's (x5??) BMW always being in the shop too, maybe they all had lemons? Ill give it to you, the new cars are amazing, and I would love to have a 6 series, but I am just too afraid I am going to get myself into something I cant get out of.

I agree. Last year I traded in an MB SL65 for a BMW M6 Convertible because I wanted something different and I read such good things about the BMW. After it being in the shop repeatedly 4X(and I'm talking a new car) I felt it was the worst car I ever owned. I sold it after 6 months and went back to MB. Plus with resale, it cost me over $20K to get rid of it. Now I don't know what the less expensive models are like, but as far as their high end ones, I wouldn't recommend it.

well i just got myself a 545i 2007...its nice, sporty and so far...everything is so good..it was a 545 vs a S500 but the S (and the 7 series) seems so 40 year old businessman to me....also..Mercedes is starting to manufacture bad cars..my best friend just got a S 2007 and its been with her for 2 months and she keeps having to send it to the agency for all kinda problems..if u want an Audi..either the A8 ABT or the Q7....

or get a porche cayenne... its the car our driver drives us in and its cute and we dont have many problems with it (and drivers usually really really spoil cars)... i dont know..i say go with the BMW.... its less cliche too...!