Birkin lookout club

Sweetea said:
That's :evil: but I am curious! I will see what I can learn from going into the hermes store. I will report to you when I come back if I walk out of there happy or unhappy! I def not a celeb nor royalty or hermes vip customer, but hey I am a future potential costomer:P . I hope they are not rude or don't look down on you! I meant if I don't walk out with Birkin or Kelly I wouldn't be disappointed because I kind of know what to expect;) . And that pink ostrich chanel could medicate my feeling. By the way how much is the Birkin? Can you tell me plus with the size too.
Don't worry Sweetea! Just walk into the store confidently & wear a friendly smile. From my experience, most Hermes SA are friendly & helpful...just remember not to ask to be put on the Birkin waitlist right after you stepped into the store. Have fun & keep us posted! :amuse:

normal leather Birkin 30cm is about US$7,000. The $ differs depending on the leather. For example, Chevre (Goat) & box calf are more expensive than Togo(Calf).

Really? Sorry for long silence... got kids. Got a bag with each kid, actually!

My Birkin is in Togo - very practical, thick leather - doesn't show much wear. I am technically deficient but will try to post when I can (ie: when husband helps me!).

One caveat I wanted to add is that the H stores I have dealt with will not ship Birkins. So if you want to find a sales associate I'd try to find one that lives in a city where you have friends/relatives/etc.

I just got a second bag - a brown trim with palladium hardware, 31 cm. I was debating between orange (my mom pushed hard for that one), blue jean and cognac. Ended up with the brown because I needed something casual and everyday. It was a very tough decision! I know everyone's all that about the birkin but it really is (for me) a work bag - too big (35 cm) for everyday. I love the trim! Would love to see the rouge one someone mentioned having...

Hmm, I haven't heard that about Togo - actually my SA said that most of them are made in Togo. I'll enquire about it next time I'm in the store. :smile:

Vix, what are the specs of your Birkin? Lucky gal!!
Another Rouge Trim!!! It is such a practical bag. :smile:

I'm still on the fence between a 30 or 35 cm Birkin. I know the 30 is a handbag. 35, more of a tote. Right now I'm leaning towards 30cm because i'm only 5'3".
Also, another tidbit, Togo 35 Birkins are quite heavy, even unstuffed. Chevre (goat) leather is SOOOO lightweight Amazing difference. I love Togo, but would kill for a chevre Birkin!!

irvinggrrl said:
My Birkin is in Togo - very practical, thick leather - doesn't show much wear. I am technically deficient but will try to post when I can (ie: when husband helps me!).

Would love to see the rouge one someone mentioned having...

That would be great irvinggrrl! Actually we do need pics don't we? he he..since I don't have one, maybe somebody can put pics of theirs:biggrin: .

Greentea said:
Noriko, does Hermes make a mini agenda? I'm still drooling over your ostrich one but I'd want something small. Whenever I'm in there, I get distracted by the bags and forget about the other stuff!

Yes they do :biggrin: There is a size smaller than mine and its pretty small. Check them out and then post pics because you will find one you love ;)

What do you ladies think of an orange birkin? I'm getting a bit discouraged about the bicolor box calf because my SA says that it'll get really messed up with scratches? I like that orange or tangerine is the house color and will always be classic, but will it go with most things? I also wouldn't mind a pink to match my agenda, or a red lizard *drool*. I've been so stuck on the bicolor for so long that I can't really think of what else I have my heart set on!

Greentea said:
Hmm, I haven't heard that about Togo - actually my SA said that most of them are made in Togo. I'll enquire about it next time I'm in the store. :smile:

Vix, what are the specs of your Birkin? Lucky gal!!
Another Rouge Trim!!! It is such a practical bag. :smile:

I'm still on the fence between a 30 or 35 cm Birkin. I know the 30 is a handbag. 35, more of a tote. Right now I'm leaning towards 30cm because i'm only 5'3".
Also, another tidbit, Togo 35 Birkins are quite heavy, even unstuffed. Chevre (goat) leather is SOOOO lightweight Amazing difference. I love Togo, but would kill for a chevre Birkin!!

It was pretty recent that I heard ( can't for the life of me remember from where) that they are no longer making birkin in togo.

I have a gold togo birkin with gold hw. I am 5'2ish and think the 30 is the perfect size. While I think I can probably pull off the 35 as well, I just think it will get too heavy especially for a hand held bag. I've been known to fill up my bags no matter how big they are.
Even a 30 in togo is pretty heavy.

Hey Noriko, okay, here's my opinion. I love orange, but personally perfer the more understated potiron shade vs. the classic Hermes orange - for SOME bags. For example, I think a Picotin pm would be so cute in classic orange. My SA keeps saying the the potiron Birkin is really becomming popular these days because it's such a fabulous color. It depends on your wardrobe, though. If you wear a lot of neutrals, it would be fine (tans, whites, choco. brown)

I think fuschia in Togo is also a stunner (or, of course ostrich.)
Lizard is nice but I prefer porosus croc or ostrich. I'm not a gator fan, either.
Regarding box, yes it does scratch ver easily But it's the only leather that can be completely refurbished by Hermes. It also develops the most wonderful patina. Looks better with use!
Again, personally, I'd rather have a box Kelly than Birkin because I think of it as a more formal type of leather.

Thanks for the agenda help!

Greentea said:
Hey Noriko, okay, here's my opinion. I love orange, but personally perfer the more understated potiron shade vs. the classic Hermes orange - for SOME bags. For example, I think a Picotin pm would be so cute in classic orange. My SA keeps saying the the potiron Birkin is really becomming popular these days because it's such a fabulous color. It depends on your wardrobe, though. If you wear a lot of neutrals, it would be fine (tans, whites, choco. brown)

I think fuschia in Togo is also a stunner (or, of course ostrich.)
Lizard is nice but I prefer porosus croc or ostrich. I'm not a gator fan, either.
Regarding box, yes it does scratch ver easily But it's the only leather that can be completely refurbished by Hermes. It also develops the most wonderful patina. Looks better with use!
Again, personally, I'd rather have a box Kelly than Birkin because I think of it as a more formal type of leather.

Thanks for the agenda help!

Yeah, I've heard about the refurb for the box, but how many times can they do it? I forgot to ask my SA this :lol: I haven't seen one with the patina, do you have pics? I like the croc as well, especially since it has those little dots on the skin rather than how the alligator is plain. Ostrich would be great! But I think the odds of finding one of those are pretty slim. I'm kind of just hoping to walk in on it, since I'm a total impulse buyer:nuts: I agree that the box Kelly is beautiful though! If I saw a bicolor box Kelly I don't think I could refuse her:love:

I've seen the shade of orange you're talking about, its nice, but I love how the Hermes orange is so loud :lol: My bags are usually loud, I understand that Hermes is kind of like a whisper (not flamboyant like LV logos), but I am drawn to bags that kind of scream at the world, not necessarily of brand but color and style etc.

Have you come across many birkins in chevre? I have yet to see one damn it. People keep talking about that leather though. If anything I think I want to stick with ostrich, but if I can't get my hands on that I want to go with the leather that will last the longest. This is going to be my law school bag:love:

Noriko, my friend bought a preown black 28 kelly box and its from 1998 I think. While its a good couple of years old it looks MINT because hermes cleaned it up so well you almost can't even tell its worn. That the great thing about box.

I think the potiron is such a wonderful neutral shade. But if you want the orange, heck go for it. It is their signature color after all. Can't go wrong with that! :smile:

I googled Hermes just so I could find some sites that might show the various styles (although all are fake) at least I can get an idea, and I came across this article that I thought was too funny. Handbags are not necessarily about a display of wealth as this writer would have us believe. That is like a slap in the face to the true craftsman who make these and other fine wares. and she's been carrying it for 11 years. It probably was her reward for having "made it" so to speak. Not that I like Martha, I don't have an opinion of her one way of the other, but how many of your old cheap handbags would withstand that test of time for both craftsmenship and style. we are willing to put out the money for many reasons. A display of wealth is not at the top of my list.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37117-2004Jan21.html

The rouge looks very nice! I looked at a Gao (no long made) in brick - it was interesting but I felt ambivalent about it. I like portiron, too, but I worry a little because it is a newer color for them, and I wonder whether it will have the staying power of the classic orange.

The 30 is definitely a better size for a handbag. The 35 is perfect for my office. It is definitely heavy, although I don't really notice that anymore. It can hold a tremendous amount of stuff. I once put a laptop and 150 pages of notes and it still didn't look full.

I have seen an orange birkin in what looked like box calf. Personally, I thought it was a little bit loud - I like smaller bags in bright colors - but that's a very personal thing.