Best Cashmere

What's the thickest cashmere? Any idea of the gauge? I think my thicker ones/more tightly woven are far more resistant to pilling...

The striped Qi brand cardigan fell apart after 1 season.

Best looking designs of cashmere - J. Crew but their cashmere quality is CRAP.

IMO one of the best brands out there is Johnstons of Elgin, it's a Scottish company and their basic vnecks retail for around $450 but they usually have good sales after the holidays and summer months. I do have to say that their styles are a little more boring, a little more "mom" looking but I don't mind. Their stuff is good and I'm pushing 30 so I'm sure I'll grow into that look soon :biggrin:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems more reasonable to continue the discussion here than to start a new.

Brora is my go-to for cashmere. I have also ordered from Pure and Pringle recently, but they both disappointed in thickness (bearable for the price) and softness. Their quality almost feel like merino wool and thus I feel cheated on the snuggle I buy cashmere for. Brora on the other hand is soft and smooth, but the pilling can be awful here too.
It was when doing some maintenance in prep for autumn I realised I own a cashmere sweater that doesn't pill. My first one, at least 3 years old, from Filippa K. It is indeed my favorite garment, thick, lux and cosy. I came to reflect on how much wear it has gotten and what a great investment it has been when I remembered the price. It was cheaper than any of my Brora ones! Here comes the question: does anyone happen to know where Filippa K source and knit their cashmere? There is not a great deal of cashmere in the collection, thus I'd like to know where I can get my hands on this same quality.

Most of my cashmere sweaters are from Ann Taylor in the classic turtleneck and v-neck styles. My oldest ones are actually a little more than 10 yrs ago and all still in great condition. Though I notice that the older ones are thicker and no-peeling in comparison to the newest ones.

I also have a few Ralph Lauren long sleeves and short sleeves and Neiman Marcus cardigans and v-necks. I always buy them during end of season sales, so I only pay a fraction of the original prices ;)

The question has been asked a couple of times but never answered: what causes cashmere to pill?

It is because short fibers are used to make the cashmere yarn; they tend to "unravel" faster when rubbed. Cashmere quality is usually about the fiber length first. Second is purity: cashmere should be from the throat (first) then underbelly of the Mongolian goa and be whitet. Cheap cashmere will mix in fur from other parts (sometimes making itchy sweaters) and can be brown. Third is how fine each fiber is: finer the better.

You should be able to send a good cashmere sweater through the washing machine (delicate) without it looking the worse for wear. It'll save you a fortune in dry cleaning.

I know JCrew cashmere has gotten a criticized, but really the quality of it's *first* cashmere release was top notch. I washed every one I had in the washing machine and they came out perfectly (lay flat to dry). The next batch, however, was totally different: quality had gone down noticeably. When I sent one through the wash, it came out totally fuzzy - horrible.

I wouldn't just pay attention to the brand when buying cashmere - though it is a reasonable shortcut for quality. it's best to look at the fibers - any fuzziness that's not a deliberate design should be a warning. too soft is not necessarily an advantage - good cashmere has a weight, body, and bounce (snap back when stretched).

Can anyone attest to the quality of Lord and Taylor's brand cashmere?
I've recently bought 2 cashmere tunics. They were priced at around $175-$200 but on sale were $129.
Haven't owned them or worn them long enough to know how they will hold up over time.

Most of my cashmere sweaters are from Ann Taylor in the classic turtleneck and v-neck styles. My oldest ones are actually a little more than 10 yrs ago and all still in great condition. Though I notice that the older ones are thicker and no-peeling in comparison to the newest ones.

I also have a few Ralph Lauren long sleeves and short sleeves and Neiman Marcus cardigans and v-necks. I always buy them during end of season sales, so I only pay a fraction of the original prices ;)

My very favorite charcoal cardigan was NM house brand, and I had it for 13 years, not even thinking of replacing it, until last year it suffered a moth attack. That is when I started to look around and realized that to find a decent cashmere cardi and not to second-mortgage a house is VERY difficult. I did try NM cashmere, and was very disappointed. Is started to pill, bubble, snag and do everything else that can go wrong with a cashmere. And mind you, I've worn it a handful of times. I had slightly better luck with Nordstrom cashmere, but sworn off it as well. I used to have Loro Piana, Bruno Manetti and Brunello Cucinelli v- and boat-necks, loved them all, had for a decade and gave them all to my sister only because I've gained weight. So, I've experience with Italian cashmere.
Now I'm trying Brora (loving it!), high-ply Eric Bompard and Malo (also a success!). I'm on a cashmere roll this season :lol:, and am planning to try Jonston's of Elgin and Ballanyne, just for a hack of it :biggrin:. Scottish cashmere is supposed to be very good as both Chanel and Hermes knit their cashmere pieces there.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems more reasonable to continue the discussion here than to start a new.

Brora is my go-to for cashmere. I have also ordered from Pure and Pringle recently, but they both disappointed in thickness (bearable for the price) and softness. Their quality almost feel like merino wool and thus I feel cheated on the snuggle I buy cashmere for. Brora on the other hand is soft and smooth, but the pilling can be awful here too.
It was when doing some maintenance in prep for autumn I realised I own a cashmere sweater that doesn't pill. My first one, at least 3 years old, from Filippa K. It is indeed my favorite garment, thick, lux and cosy. I came to reflect on how much wear it has gotten and what a great investment it has been when I remembered the price. It was cheaper than any of my Brora ones! Here comes the question: does anyone happen to know where Filippa K source and knit their cashmere? There is not a great deal of cashmere in the collection, thus I'd like to know where I can get my hands on this same quality.

Interesting about Brora. Did you have troubles with some particular style?
I've just discovered Brora (thanks to a cool TPF'er :biggrin:) and can't get enough of it. So far I got three cashmere pieces (one is a Christmas present for DH, so cannot attest to its quality just yet), and rib cardi and jumper for myself. LUVING them!

I've never heard of Filippa K, but immediately went to look it up. I like her aesthetics a lot and would love to try her cashmere out. The only problem is... where to find it in US????

The question has been asked a couple of times but never answered: what causes cashmere to pill?

It is because short fibers are used to make the cashmere yarn; they tend to "unravel" faster when rubbed. Cashmere quality is usually about the fiber length first. Second is purity: cashmere should be from the throat (first) then underbelly of the Mongolian goa and be whitet. Cheap cashmere will mix in fur from other parts (sometimes making itchy sweaters) and can be brown. Third is how fine each fiber is: finer the better.

You should be able to send a good cashmere sweater through the washing machine (delicate) without it looking the worse for wear. It'll save you a fortune in dry cleaning.

I know JCrew cashmere has gotten a criticized, but really the quality of it's *first* cashmere release was top notch. I washed every one I had in the washing machine and they came out perfectly (lay flat to dry). The next batch, however, was totally different: quality had gone down noticeably. When I sent one through the wash, it came out totally fuzzy - horrible.

I wouldn't just pay attention to the brand when buying cashmere - though it is a reasonable shortcut for quality. it's best to look at the fibers - any fuzziness that's not a deliberate design should be a warning. too soft is not necessarily an advantage - good cashmere has a weight, body, and bounce (snap back when stretched).

Good points, apey_grapey!
I also liked two articles of Chantal Roy, I've read on MaiTai's blog.
I will add them to this topic, as I seem they will add to the conversation.

'All about cashmere' - Interviews with Chantal Roy, part one

'All about cashmere' interviews with Chantal Roy - part two

Can anyone attest to the quality of Lord and Taylor's brand cashmere?
I've recently bought 2 cashmere tunics. They were priced at around $175-$200 but on sale were $129.
Haven't owned them or worn them long enough to know how they will hold up over time.

My husband has a sweater from there that is over 7 years old and has held up very nicely. Not sure how the quality is nowadays though. A couple of other brands like J Crew had better quality a few years ago.

Pure are quite a good company for cashmere, sadly they're starting to introduce more non cashmere items but they'd be in my top 5.

The best for cashmere, in order of quality, are these :

1) Johnstons of Elgin
2) Brora
3) The Cashmere Centre
4) Madeleine
5) Pure Collection

I've recently ordered from these brands, I'm very happy with them! pure collection has good quality.