Food Bead molasses?

Nishi621

O.G.
Apr 30, 2006
Hoping since we have people from all over the world here that someone can help me with this.

My SIL has a recipe for fried rice-she says one of the ingredients is bead molasses, which she can no longer find anywhere. Now, we are in NYC, so, you would think it would be easy-right? Well, no! She told me she has been in and out of various Asian stores for years now and no one has it.

Last night, we went into a huge Asian supermarket here in the Chinatown section of Brooklyn, and, again, nothing. And, the few people we were able to speak to had no idea what we were talking about.

I have googled it and found a company called Dynasty that used to make it-it doesn't seem that they do anymore.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this? Better yet, does anyone know where I can buy some? Thanks!

Apparently you can use light molasses in a similar manner. I believe the Asian market here in Charlotte carries it, but I'm sure you could get away with using regular dark molasses, if you dilute it a bit, maybe with a bit of honey?