Bagless at IKEA: eco-friendly or just marketing scheme?!

I don't know about the Ikeas around the country, but the one in Woodbridge has a sign saying all proceeds from people purchasing the plastic bags is donated to an environmental nonprofit. I forget which one. I usually purchase a couple; I love them to hold my recyclables.

I totally agree that they need to be consistent in their operations though! Styrofoam after all that? so wrong!

Yesss, Styrofoam and disposable PLASTIC utensils:confused1: ! It's a contradicting cry from their 'effort' to be eco-friendly. Reusable bags and purchase bags are a fantastic idea :yes:, espcially, if the proceeds go to non-profit, as mentioned by rothjess. (I shopped at Elizabeth, NJ Ikea, and the signs gave a basic message of lets-try-to-be-eco-friendly, and no mention of donaton to charity). All I'm saying is that Ikea needs to enforce and encourage a cohesive message and action, because the cafeteria was giving a totally opposite message from checkout lines.

Not shocked...I grew up in canada and several of our grocery stores started charging for bags about 20 years ago!!! I think it's one small step...but it's about time! It irritates me when people bag my groceries and put one item in a bag!!!

The ikea store here doesn't have any styrofoam or plastic utensils - we also have to pay for bags. Also, in the grocery store, but I use those reusable green bags.

Actually they don't really practice what they preach. They are notorious for selling furniture that cannot be cleaned and also rugs that cannot be cleaned. The only alternative you have is to throw them out. Some of their stuff has slipcovers that can be washed but not all. You have to look very carefully at their rugs. Many of the cheaper throw rugs cannot be washed or steam cleaned. So the only alternative is to throw them out when they get dirty. Not really great for the landfills!

I alternate between using my own bags and using the stores bags, so that I can have some bags for my bathroom trashcan. With all the media attention on not using plastic bags, it sort of feels like cheating to knowingly use them sometimes but I need them!

I think it's a fiscally smart step that nods toward environmental conservation. If people have to pay for bags they become more aware of the number they waste or use to excess (wrapping single items in bags). That can have a positive effect of people bringing reusable tote bags to such stores. Although I'm not sure that Ikea thought about it beyond, "lets charge for bags to increase revenue and look like an eco-friendly company".

Every grocery store I visited in France and St. Barths (a French Carribean island) required that people pay for bags (which meant people brought their own reusable ones or figured out creative ways to bypass using plastic bags). I thought it was a good idea.