Babydoll style tops = you look pregnant?

I think babydolls are cute, along with the kind of hippie peasant tops like that as well. Although sometimes I feel 'expecting' in them, they do end up looking cute!

I think billowy tops with a nice belt is a good way to go.

I actually have a funny story. Last year, I was wearing my Juicy Couture smocked top/dress while shopping with a friend. I had way too much to eat, and started to joke about my "phantom baby" (bloated belly), and told her I was glad that I was wear the top since it was pretty forgiving. A few minutes later, a woman tapped me on my shoulder and said that I looked really great....for a pregnant woman! :lol: :shame:

OMG. How cute is the third one in pink!? That is so effin' cute.

lol Sorry, back to your question. Personally, I think its rude to assume a girl is pregnant just because she wears a babydoll shirt like that, especially since some are so cute! So no I dont usually think that a girl is pregnant. Usually my first thought is, how cute! Where'd she get that? :shame:

People love a scandal. Theyd rather think someones pregnant versus they saw a cute shirt and bought it.

I was SOOOO happy when babydoll tops came into fashion- not only am I a fan of "cute" feminine looks, but it's just nice not to have to suck in your stomach all the time!!! I shouldn't complain- I have a pretty decent figure, but it's nice for going out for a nice dinner- you can actually ENJOY what you are eating.
Yes, I have friends, and guy friends too, that think that babydoll tops=pregnant, but I don't really listen to them.

I love babydolls and they are really in style now. But, like you, I do always worry that they might make people think I'm pregnant -- not really the look I'm going for!! But since they are so in style now, I'm hoping that the whole babydoll/preggers association will grow less strong.

SuLi said:
I think billowy tops with a nice belt is a good way to go.

Thanks SuLi! You just gave me a great idea for an outfit! I have this kinda peasant type top that I haven't worn in a while. I think it'll look great with this new belt I recently got :smile: .

As for babydoll tops, unfortunately, IMO I think they just look good on girls who are really fit and have no tummy. If you do have a gut like most people, it just looks like you are trying to hide it, especially when the wind blows against you and outlines the belly protrusion :cry: <-- this is from personal experience...

moe said:
my tummy isn't as flat as i would like it to be lately......
I've been trying to find flattering tops to disguise a little belly. So far i've noticed that a sightly oversized dress shirt/blouse with a wide belt worn right underneath the chest is great!
I also think maybe babydoll shirts would hide a belly well too, but I feel like I look pregnant!!!
When you see someone wearing a babaydoll style shirt do you think they may be pregnant?? Any other suggestions for slimming tops for the mid- section??

In the UK, we call the tops in the pics Empire Line (i.e. they cinch-in under the bustline). Babydolls are the ones where they are loose over the bust.

I think what we call Empire Line tops can look fine on many different body types; but Babydolls are very hard to wear unless you are very underweight and have a very small bust. The only time they look OK on the more well-endowed in that area, is if they are see-through and worn only in the Boudoir!!! ;)

I do like them alot but I try not to wear them alot because its easy to get too comfortable and not think about the waist line. I think I eat more when I wear them. I eat less when I have regular top on. quess its like when you have on a pair of tight jeans on, your more aware of your body then in sweats. Just how I am. sounds weird????