Average Life of Various Styles

Bailey10

Jan 29, 2007
Hello everyone! I'm new to tPF and have been browsing the LV section while I await my first Louis... a mono Ellipse PM from let-trade. It hasn't even arrived and I'm already coveting my next piece-hopefully something in pomme vernis!

I'm curious how many years of use you get out of your average LV bag. I'm assuming lines like the Epi last longer because they do not have the vachetta handles? I'm sure it also depends on the level of patina you prefer (or can stand to live with!) on your vachetta bags.

So, how many years do you usually rock a bag before it becomes too worn for use?

I think they will last a very long time if you take moderate care of them.
For instance, my aunt has a mono speedy that is well over 20 years old. I am 35 now and I can remember when she purchased it new when I was about 9 years old! She has other LV bags, but that is still her favorite and according to my mom, it still look dynamite! My mom borrowed that purse when they went to the Mikimoto store in the Ginza district in Tokyo. She swears it's because of that purse that they were able to get to the upper levels of the store. :P

I think this question has a HIGH degree of variance. How long you use a bag depends on the individual, the society, culture, peers (eg. in China, the younger people are VERY up to date on desginer and electronic items and throw things away after 1/2 year), and how much you use and how well you treat the bag.

I think this question has a HIGH degree of variance. How long you use a bag depends on the individual, the society, culture, peers (eg. in China, the younger people are VERY up to date on desginer and electronic items and throw things away after 1/2 year), and how much you use and how well you treat the bag.

I need to go to china:nuts:

and congrats on you'r elipse and welcome to the pf and post pics when you get it...

I think they will last a very long time if you take moderate care of them.
For instance, my aunt has a mono speedy that is well over 20 years old. I am 35 now and I can remember when she purchased it new when I was about 9 years old! She has other LV bags, but that is still her favorite and according to my mom, it still look dynamite! My mom borrowed that purse when they went to the Mikimoto store in the Ginza district in Tokyo. She swears it's because of that purse that they were able to get to the upper levels of the store. :P

Wow -- VIP/VIC sections of stores!!??!! :wtf: Yikes!!!

LV bags last many, many years and get better with age. I have bags that are 20+ years old and are in wonderful condition.

My Batignolles Horizontal is only a year old, but has been heavily used. Yet yesterday at lunch, someone asked if it was brand new because it looked so nice....

Thanks for the feedback! After reading that thread about what you hate most about your LVs I was worried that after a few years the handles would be black and the hardware would like a piece of dollar store jewelry with all the brass worn off!