Authenticate this Hermes **BAG** Archived 07/31/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horseshoe stamp : The horseshoe stamp was issued in 2009. This Gao is from 2001.

Leather : the pictures are not HR enough to determine the actual leather the bag is made of. Seller says Clemence but it could be another leather .

Hardware: It is gold. Some people (even someone working at Hermes) can say they never saw it, it does not mean the bag is not authentic, It only means they never saw it.

Authenticity :My opinion is that this bag is authentic. Can't tell the leather though. Color could be Brique.

Thank you Perlerare, I appreciate the clarification that horseshoe stamps only began to be placed on special orders in 2009. However, it was not just Reiko's opinion, she phoned Mercedes (who is "the West Coast Claude" - ie, master crafter), and also did a search of the Hermes database for GHW special orders for me - none were found, but her database may be limited to the US special orders? I'll have to ask. I was also told I could not special order a Gao with GHW at this time (this was may 2010, so very recently, not 2001).

I agree the bag looks authentic - but not Clemence cuir, altho again, I agree the photo is too low res to tell - but this is why I am so puzzled. The previous ebay listing, a black fjord GHW, also looked authentic, which is why I began asking the question in the first place.

I agree the colour is probably brique.

Thank you for taking time to respond. Has anyone ever personally ordered or seen a known-to-be genuine GHW Gao?

Thank you Perlerare, I appreciate the clarification that horseshoe stamps only began to be placed on special orders in 2009. However, it was not just Reiko's opinion, she phoned Mercedes (who is "the West Coast Claude" - ie, master crafter), and also did a search of the Hermes database for GHW special orders for me - none were found, but her database may be limited to the US special orders? I'll have to ask. I was also told I could not special order a Gao with GHW at this time (this was may 2010, so very recently, not 2001).

I agree the bag looks authentic - but not Clemence cuir, altho again, I agree the photo is too low res to tell - but this is why I am so puzzled. The previous ebay listing, a black fjord GHW, also looked authentic, which is why I began asking the question in the first place.

I agree the colour is probably brique.

Thank you for taking time to respond. Has anyone ever personally ordered or seen a known-to-be genuine GHW Gao?

If you are really interested in this bag, you might ask the seller to take another set of pics, HR, with macro function on, without flasf, and email you the pics in ctual size so you can watch them on your screen.
So you will be bale to determine leather and confirm authenticity (or not).

Thank you Bababebi, what about this one? :smile:

Item name: Hermes large herbag handbag 1.7k
Seller: designersocial
Item number: 270613578699
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270613578699&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

TIA again, your help is very much appreciated! :yahoo:

My opinion is that it is probably OK.

BUT, sellers measurements are not correct, width of this bag should be 15 inches not 16.5 inches, really there are not enough pictures of bag, i.e. no blind stamp picture, side hardware or lock base with corresponding keys, and price in my opinion is high. I personally think that if I am going to spend almost $1000 I expect proper measurements and better pictures. This appears to be a MM Herbag, and there are always a few on eBay and they sell for less than this one.

Skip it.

Last edited:
If you are really interested in this bag, you might ask the seller to take another set of pics, HR, with macro function on, without flasf, and email you the pics in ctual size so you can watch them on your screen.
So you will be bale to determine leather and confirm authenticity (or not).

Thank you perlerare, I believe it was textilegirl's original question about the bag.

S'Mom - do you know something I don't?
Please see comments section.

seller: a second chance resale
item: "brown gao" w/GHW
ebay listing number: 160462236328
link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...236328&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2061wt_908
COMMMENTS: I've been told by Reiko at San Fran Maiden Lane, who phoned mercedes at beverly hills in my presence to double check, that Gao's do not and never have come with GHW, and therefore GHW would have to be special order but that further no Gao's with GHW were known to have been special ordered. Does anyone know differently? I queried secondchance and was told "of course it's authentic, we don't know what you are talking about a horsehoe stamp" and that the leather was "believed to be clemence" which i don't think it looks like from the photos? :confused1::weird:

Thank you all for your generous time and efforts. This one is a puzzler to me as this is only the second GHW Gao I've ever seen, the first one - also on ebay - prompted the question to Reiko (SA at Maiden Lane San Fran) and her phone call. I was a little taken aback by the response from asecondchance as they are very reputable, the question was phrased very politely, and I have even sold some things there myself.

LMAO!!!! I must have quoted the wrong question! So sorry.....my response referred to a different authentication request.....

S'Mom - do you know something I don't?
Please see comments section.

seller: a second chance resale
item: "brown gao" w/GHW
ebay listing number: 160462236328
link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...236328&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2061wt_908
COMMMENTS: I've been told by Reiko at San Fran Maiden Lane, who phoned mercedes at beverly hills in my presence to double check, that Gao's do not and never have come with GHW, and therefore GHW would have to be special order but that further no Gao's with GHW were known to have been special ordered. Does anyone know differently? I queried secondchance and was told "of course it's authentic, we don't know what you are talking about a horsehoe stamp" and that the leather was "believed to be clemence" which i don't think it looks like from the photos? :confused1::weird:

Thank you all for your generous time and efforts. This one is a puzzler to me as this is only the second GHW Gao I've ever seen, the first one - also on ebay - prompted the question to Reiko (SA at Maiden Lane San Fran) and her phone call. I was a little taken aback by the response from asecondchance as they are very reputable, the question was phrased very politely, and I have even sold some things there myself.

Thanks madeleinebasset for the information, but I agree that as Perlerare was saying, it is still possible that some Gao's with gold HW were made as part of regular production at H at some point. Unless one had access to internal records of every bag ever produced in every year it would be awfully hard to say for sure, no?

If so,this would explain why the secondchance bag does not have a horseshoe stamp.

I also commented on the bag when textilegirl originally asked about it, and I had another look. Although the pictures are not optimal, to my eye anyway it looks authentic. I said before that maybe the leather was evergrain and color noisette, but don't hold me to that.

As far as secondchance go, based on my personal experience with them as a purchaser, I do not think they would knowingly sell a bag that they believed was not authentic. However I grant you that they are not as expert as some people however, especially when it comes to leather type.

But I also think that precise knowledge of when the horseshoe stamp is used is something that perhaps only those of us who are really nuts about H might be likely to know, dont you think? :heart::heart:

You might want to have your friend edit your listing to indicate the correct leather. ;)

Kallie Girl, the reason why I have not edited the listing is because I believe the leather is swift. That is what I was told when I bought the bag and again when I brought it in for the spa treatment the receipt had swift written on it. If I'm not wrong gulliver was renamed swift so I guess it is the same leather in any case :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.