Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

Here are the other two for today.

Legacy West Zoe Hobo (?) 9342
12" long x 7" tall x 3" deep.

This second bag IS FAKE and I know it (after the fact :annoyed:). The serial number shows up on the common fakes list J4N-4082. The last 4 seem to correlate with a large Soho Buckle Tote but I found a variety of styles with this same number when I did a quick search. What I would like to know is if this is based on a real style and if so what is the name and or style number that it would be? I ask because I haven't seen this exact bag before and I would like to find an authentic one if it exists. Ironically I saw someone in my neighborhood the other day carrying what looked like the same bag but I thought she wouldn't appreciate me asking to look inside for a creed patch.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: go2girl99
Here are the other two for today.

Legacy West Zoe Hobo (?) 9342
12" long x 7" tall x 3" deep.

This second bag IS FAKE and I know it (after the fact :annoyed:). The serial number shows up on the common fakes list J4N-4082. The last 4 seem to correlate with a large Soho Buckle Tote but I found a variety of styles with this same number when I did a quick search. What I would like to know is if this is based on a real style and if so what is the name and or style number that it would be? I ask because I haven't seen this exact bag before and I would like to find an authentic one if it exists. Ironically I saw someone in my neighborhood the other day carrying what looked like the same bag but I thought she wouldn't appreciate me asking to look inside for a creed patch.

The Legacy West Hobo is genuine. The second is a fake copy of a Taft Bag, style 9980.The Taft was highly faked, so always have whatever you're considering authenticated here.

Greetings all! Recovering from surgery and my head is finally clear enough from the pain meds to start working on my rehab pile-- my own personal occupational therapy :flowers:. I have several that I would like to have authenticated, all in my possession from the local GW. I'm still new to this new format so not sure how many images I can post at a time (?) but here are the first two.

Regina's Legacy 9983
7.5" long x 7" tall x 3" deep.
The strap seems to be a poor quality replacement but I think the bag is authentic.

Murphy Bag 9930
7" long x 9" tall x 3" deep

View attachment 3421451 View attachment 3421452 .View attachment 3421451

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

The second bag, The 9930 Murphy, is ok.

The first bag, the "9983 Regina", isn't. Not only is the strap wrong, but the year code is too new for the style and by 2002 when it was supposedly made, the J plant code had been in use ONLY for a Chinese plant since 1999. It's mentioned in the Daria48 Fake Numbers List:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Coach-Serial-Numbers-NT-4903-and-more-/10000000002744619/g.html

"D2J- serial number prefixes whenever they're part of a creed stamp that says the bag was made in the US. That code sequence was ONLY used for bags made in a Chinese plant, never an American one. And ALL serial prefixes with J as the third digit and a "Made in the US" creed need to be carefully authenticated, since the "J" plant in the US originally made only clothing items.
Since 1999 the J plant was ONLY used by a Chinese plant and should NEVER be found in any bags with creeds saying they were made in the USA.".

Sorry.

Last edited:
I was planning on donating it to a local charity but wanted to be able to alert them if it wasn't definitely the real thing.
It is authentic. Some people have noticed a degradation of quality in bags made at certain plants or certain countries, especially after 2001.
No need to leave me alone; I enjoy helping people.
We post here because we honestly do feel good about helping others but we also (sometimes) offer unsolicited advice.

I think it's wonderful and generous that you want to help a charity. But my unsolicited advice is that one shouldn't donate fakes. Aside from the horrors of the counterfeit industry, the donation of fakes keeps the cycle going when thrift stores resell fake items. Since most charitable organizations aren't expert enough to recognize the difference between authentic items and fakes, they price items such that a buyer might pay a lot of money for a fake assuming it's the real deal. Then when that buyer tires of the bag, she lists it on ebay or another online site and the next buyer will be ripped off too.

In your case, my advice is moot since your bag is genuine, but it's valid in case you ever find yourself in possession of a fake.

Hi BeenBurned,

I only meant to donate the bag to a very small shop where I'm well-known and only with a written explanation that it probably was not authentic. They may not have wanted it on those terms. But I certainly appreciate your point of view and wouldn't have tried to donate it as the real thing.

Thanks!

Hi BeenBurned,

I only meant to donate the bag to a very small shop where I'm well-known and only with a written explanation that it probably was not authentic. They may not have wanted it on those terms. But I certainly appreciate your point of view and wouldn't have tried to donate it as the real thing.

Thanks!
I realize you weren't implying that you'd lie about authenticity. My point is that thrift stores seem to believe that they're exempt from abiding by trademark law and claim that they "aren't selling as authentic," thus assuming that it's okay to sell counterfeit items as long they admit it's fake.

But the fact (and law) is that if an item is fake, it can''t be sold anywhere, and that even includes yard sales. Although it's not understood as being law, ALL sellers are required to know that items are authentic before being sold. And if a seller doesn't know if authentic, they're required to find out.

If authenticity can't be determined or if an item is deemed to be fake, it can't be sold AT ALL. (There are some items where authenticity can't be determined with 100% certainty so buyers are advised that should they own such an item, they can use it but shouldn't plan to ever sell it.)

I understand that you are honest and want to let the donee know that an item is fake but I just wanted to make you aware of how the law sees it.

In any case, your bag is fine so this isn't an issue.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

The second bag, The 9930 Murphy, is ok.

The first bag, the "9983 Regina", isn't. Not only is the strap wrong, but the year code is too new for the style and by 2002 when it was supposedly made, the J plant code had been in use ONLY for a Chinese plant since 1999. It's mentioned in the Daria48 Fake Numbers List:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Coach-Serial-Numbers-NT-4903-and-more-/10000000002744619/g.html

"D2J- serial number prefixes whenever they're part of a creed stamp that says the bag was made in the US. That code sequence was ONLY used for bags made in a Chinese plant, never an American one. And ALL serial prefixes with J as the third digit and a "Made in the US" creed need to be carefully authenticated, since the "J" plant in the US originally made only clothing items.
Since 1999 the J plant was ONLY used by a Chinese plant and should NEVER be found in any bags with creeds saying they were made in the USA.".

Sorry.
Thanks Hyacinth. Bummer about the Regina but thanks to this forum, I can count the number of fakes I've been fooled by on one hand.