Authenticate this COACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Item: 140497412080
Listing: Coach Black Leather Handbag 9966
Seller: marianarosa
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-BLACK-LEA...080?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item20b64c5ff0
Comments: I won this bag from this seller and she sent me the above bag instead. It seemed a little off to me and I sent it back for a refund. I took photos of the bag before I sent it back and here is a photo of the creed I took since it is unreadable in the auction (sorry if it gigantic):

DSC01100.jpg

Please wait for other opinions on the authenticity but I think you might have erred in a couple of ways.

1. The time to authenticate and request additional pictures is before bidding.
2. If #1 wasn't done, the time to authenticate is BEFORE accusing the seller of selling a fake and BEFORE sending it back.
3. I'm not a classic leather Coach expert but I don't see any problems with the listing, the pictures in the listing or the creed photo you posted.

But other opinions are certainly welcome. Even if I'm wrong with #3, I stand by #1 and #2.

ETA: I'm confused. The listing you say you won is still up and running. What is the link to the listing you won?

I'm not Warcraft Wench, but ..... if you look closely at the "Comments" section in Warcraft Wench's post, the word "bag" is actually a hyperlink to a different auction that ended on Dec 27. I *think* what she's saying is that she won the auction that ended on Dec 27 (ie. click on the word "bag"), the seller sent her "a" bag, warcraft wench did not trust the bag, warcraft wench took a picture of the creed but returned the bag, and now that bag (I think) has been relisted in the auction that is currently running now. ??????

(I'm hoping I"m at least close? Basically, what it boils down to is that there are actually two auction links provided in warcraft wench's post. One is the current auction she gives after the word "Link", and the other auction is a completed auction that you get to by clicking on the word "bag".)

Yes, that's right. The machine marks in the creed were a red flag to me.
Oops. I saw that link but I just assumed it was to an outside site. (Sometimes Nordstrom and other store mentions do that too.)

That link is for a different style bag and it looks like the seller might have sent the wrong bag to you. (Note that she also had this one that ended on the same day, Dec. 27, which evidently is the one she sent you: COACH BLACK LEATHER HANDBAG 9966

Regarding the lines above and below the serial number, there are instances where they are indicative of fake, particularly if the lines are very evenly lined up and symmetrical. But in this case, it appears to be something that happened during the machine-stamping of the serial numbers during that era.

In fact, look at other listings for style 9966 and see similar markings on the creeds:
http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-MARIGOLD-...803?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item5add6e09a3

You can see it a little in this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-9966-VTG-...229?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item33640a9905

http://cgi.ebay.com/9966-COACH-Blac...762?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4cf43bbb42

You guys will probably be seeing alot more of me now as I will be authenticating any bag I am uncertain of from this point on. I never had a bit of uncertanty on this leigh replica I quess I should have though as the more I thought about it the more I realized their was red flags that I over looked in this case I believe I was the naive buyer lol.
Hooray! A convert!

Do you mind posting a link to the other trusted website where you purchased the fake bag? Usually, there's a "report" button similar to what ebay has and if the fakes are reported and removed, buyers like you won't get ripped off.

I'm confused too and I'm familiar with both styles mentioned in your post.

If you click on the 1st "link" it goes to Style 9966 which is the Legacy Zip.

If you click on the word "bag" it goes to Style 9950 which is Janice's Legacy.

Which bag did you get and which bag did you return?

:smile:

Last edited:

DemRam, the seller had two bags, a 9950 and a 9966, both of which ended on Dec. 27.

The buyer purchased 9950 but the seller evidently sent the other 9966.

The listing I won was the Janice Legacy, but the bag they actually sent me was the Legacy Zip that is the current lsiting.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-BLACK-LEA...080?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item20b64c5ff0
Comments: I won this bag from this seller and she sent me the above bag instead. It seemed a little off to me and I sent it back for a refund. I took photos of the bag before I sent it back and here is a photo of the creed I took since it is unreadable in the auction (sorry if it gigantic):

DSC01100.jpg

The 9966 bag looked ok (even though it wasn't the one pictured or listed in the auction that WW won in Dec), the machine marks above the numbers are ok for that time period (though the bag in the auction you SHOULD have received had an X, I didn't recall that plant code but I'm not as up on the code breakdowns as our other auth's here).

Please wait for other opinions on the authenticity but I think you might have erred in a couple of ways.

1. The time to authenticate and request additional pictures is before bidding.
2. If #1 wasn't done, the time to authenticate is BEFORE accusing the seller of selling a fake and BEFORE sending it back.
3. I'm not a classic leather Coach expert but I don't see any problems with the listing, the pictures in the listing or the creed photo you posted.

But other opinions are certainly welcome. Even if I'm wrong with #3, I stand by #1 and #2.

ETA: I'm confused. The listing you say you won is still up and running. What is the link to the listing you won?

I'm not Warcraft Wench, but ..... if you look closely at the "Comments" section in Warcraft Wench's post, the word "bag" is actually a hyperlink to a different auction that ended on Dec 27. I *think* what she's saying is that she won the auction that ended on Dec 27 (ie. click on the word "bag"), the seller sent her "a" bag, warcraft wench did not trust the bag, warcraft wench took a picture of the creed but returned the bag, and now that bag (I think) has been relisted in the auction that is currently running now. ??????

(I'm hoping I"m at least close? Basically, what it boils down to is that there are actually two auction links provided in warcraft wench's post. One is the current auction she gives after the word "Link", and the other auction is a completed auction that you get to by clicking on the word "bag".)
Yes, Techincally WW got a SNAD item since she was to get X serial # bag and got the Y serial # bag instead.

I actually contacted the seller it was on listia.com it is a site like ebay but only difference is you sell your items for credits instead of cash. It is fun and i am always reporting fake bags on there. The lady I won this bag from is a very reputable seller but I think she won it from another seller as well and it had her fooled as well. I am waiting to hear back from her I told her I want to return the bag.

I actually contacted the seller it was on listia.com it is a site like ebay but only difference is you sell your items for credits instead of cash. It is fun and i am always reporting fake bags on there. The lady I won this bag from is a very reputable seller but I think she won it from another seller as well and it had her fooled as well. I am waiting to hear back from her I told her I want to return the bag.
It looks like it was given away for free. Am I missing something? You said you paid a lot of money for it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...tia&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
The 9966 bag looked ok (even though it wasn't the one pictured or listed in the auction that WW won in Dec), the machine marks above the numbers are ok for that time period (though the bag in the auction you SHOULD have received had an X, I didn't recall that plant code but I'm not as up on the code breakdowns as our other auth's here).

Yes, Techincally WW got a SNAD item since she was to get X serial # bag and got the Y serial # bag instead.

The "overstamping" marks in the bag shown in the Photobucket album look ok, that's the one with the "D" plant code.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/WarcraftWench/DSC01100.jpg

The Janice's Legacy 9950 from the "bag" link with the X plant code also looks ok and doesn't have any overstamping marks. X is a valid US plant code.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...6gSxRcE%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Am I missing something? So far both bags are fine. Did the seller simply send the wrong bag? That's more like a mistake rather than a SNAD, unless she refuses to take it back and send the correct bag.

Someone please whack me upside the head if I'm confuzzling things... :weird:

Last edited:
^I think wrong bag was sent, but if WW didn't look at sellers other auctions they could have easily just figured that seller never had bag in picture to begin with...

It's easy to get confused when 2 similar bags in the same color are involved. I just hope the buyer gave the seller a chance to make things right. There's nothing wrong with either bag's authenticity though.

I'll crawl back into my cage now. :biggrin:

It's easy to get confused when 2 similar bags in the same color are involved. I just hope the buyer gave the seller a chance to make things right. There's nothing wrong with either bag's authenticity though.

I AGREE!!! The poor seller made an easy mistake. (God...haven't we all). I can't imagine that it's worth a dispute.

For that little bit of money I would be happy to take either of those bags...though I prefer the Legacy Zip.

I think the buyer already returned the bag to the seller (after the accusation but before coming here.)

In this post, she said she took pictures before sending it back:

DSC01100.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:
Good grief, Warcraft Wench!! You left the seller a neutral feedback for a fake when you received an authentic bag and the seller only made a mistake and sent the other bag she'd had listed?!?!?!?

Wow! I hope you don't get that type of buyer if you ever make a mistake!

It's the seller's most recent neutral.
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=marianarosa&Dirn=Received+by

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.