artificial nails, good or bad?

If you can still find a manicurist that does gel (not acrylic), it would be worth it to go for that since it still allows your nails to breathe. I got gels done when I did have artificial nails and when I took them off, my nails were not thin/brittle at all.

hmm... my nails seemed to be stronger and grow better after i got acrylics(the tips or whatever.. :P) a few times... i just never had the time or money to keep up with them so they would only last me a month or 2 each time (i've had them done 7 times...)

Last edited:
Aritifical nails are bad for your nail bed. No matter how your twist or turn it, it destroys your natural nails underneath and turns it slimy or brittle.

But I have to agree they look good especially with a nice set of French Manicure.

I personally prefer well manicured natural nails to the acrylic ones... they just seem far more attractive to me.

I would compare acrylic nails to weaves, breast implants, or false eyelashes rather than make-up or nail polish. Acrylic nails are nothing more than a synthetic substance formed to make one seem as if they have something that they don't... much like weaves, false eyelashes, and breast implants. Nail polish, make-up, and hair coloring merely add color to the things that one already possesses.

I love acrylics as long as they are done properly and aren't old.

I'm pregnant right now, so haven't been getting them done, but I sure do miss them! I'm a nail biter like crazy, and I always feel better about myself when my nails look nice.

I personally prefer well manicured natural nails to the acrylic ones... they just seem far more attractive to me.

I would compare acrylic nails to weaves, breast implants, or false eyelashes rather than make-up or nail polish. Acrylic nails are nothing more than a synthetic substance formed to make one seem as if they have something that they don't... much like weaves, false eyelashes, and breast implants. Nail polish, make-up, and hair coloring merely add color to the things that one already possesses.

I'm sorry but I do not agree with this at all. Weaves, implants, fake eyelashes, acrylics are NO different than nail polish, make-up, or hair coloring. They ALL just add to ones appearance. How is makeup any different? I wear makeup daily to make me appear to have something I don't - full eyes, larger lips, a suntanned face! Your logic doesn't seem rational to me. Sorry.

I'm not trying to slander you. We are all allowed to have our own opinions. I just don't see your reasoning at all.

I really like the way they look and they're fun for awhile, but they really are bad for your nails. I had them off and on for a year or two and after I took them off (I took them off every month) if I grew my nails out it would take several months for them to be normal again. When you get them off your nail is very weak, very thin, and very prone to infection because your protection is literally filed away. It's tempting to get them, but if you want your nails to be healthy don't get them

Aritifical nails are bad for your nail bed. No matter how your twist or turn it, it destroys your natural nails underneath and turns it slimy or brittle.

But I have to agree they look good especially with a nice set of French Manicure.

This just flat out isn't true for me. I don't know why. But I am telling you...I have had acrylics on for the better part of 10 years, and my nails are perfectly fine underneath.

I guess that's just the difference in going to an upscale salon that uses quality products and one of those places that charges like $18 for a full set. :shrugs:

I really like the way they look and they're fun for awhile, but they really are bad for your nails. I had them off and on for a year or two and after I took them off (I took them off every month) if I grew my nails out it would take several months for them to be normal again. When you get them off your nail is very weak, very thin, and very prone to infection because your protection is literally filed away. It's tempting to get them, but if you want your nails to be healthy don't get them

A good nail tech won't do this. Any nail tech that does this is doing it WRONG!!!

I'm sorry but I do not agree with this at all. Weaves, implants, fake eyelashes, acrylics are NO different than nail polish, make-up, or hair coloring. They ALL just add to ones appearance. How is makeup any different? I wear makeup daily to make me appear to have something I don't - full eyes, larger lips, a suntanned face! Your logic doesn't seem rational to me. Sorry.

I'm not trying to slander you. We are all allowed to have our own opinions. I just don't see your reasoning at all.

The reasoning is simple...

Hair weaves, breast implants, false lashes, and acrylic nails are synthetic materials formed look like the intended body part... they are inserted, glued, or otherwise affixed to the body to create longer hair, a curvaceous figure, long beautiful lashes, or long nails.

Make-up, hair color, and nail polish merely enhance the attributes one already possesses.

No! Bad! lol. I have pretty strong nails and went through a phase where I wore acrylics. They looked nice and I had them filed oval so that they looked more natural. I wasn't keen on the nails before because they didn't feel natural even though they looked good and my previously strong nails were bendy. But they looked nice. Eventually, I went to a different shop once for some reason and ended up with a mild fungus which sealed the deal. No more artificial nails.

I just grow mine out. If one breaks, I cut them all and wear bright shades.

Well, I live in Fort Worth, Texas, which is right next to Dallas and even in Dallas (which is a very fashionable city) MOST wealthy women, and those that you would consider fashionable wear them. They always have, so I dunno.....

LOL, Hello neighbor! (I'm in Fort Worth, too!) And yes, acrylics are still wildly popular here, although I am seeing less of them lately.

Last edited: