Are You an Obsessive Spender?

jello_1955

O.G.
Jun 24, 2006
I was reading a financial article that talked about obsessive spending. The financial advisor said if you spent over 5 - 10% of your income on clothing, you could be considered an obsessive spender.

I know I spend anywhere between 5 - 6% so I guess I'm borderline. Kinda freaks me out.

What about everyone else?

Interesting...but what about someone who spends a ton on their mortgage or car or a hobby, rather than clothes? Or someone who saves every penny for a rainy day or investing? Isn't that also "obsessive," using the term in this original post?

I really don't like being put in a box and labelled one thing or another. I spend what I spend and save/invest what I save/invest and that's it ;)

Well, yes, I definitely fall into that category. I've never entered the real world for jobs though, so I guess it's a little different.

I don't really think that percentage is accurate. I mean. Depending on what you make 5-10% can be reached really easily! I think a lot more goes into being an obsessive spender than the percentage, like if you save money first or keep putting yourself in debt over spending money on clothes. So I have to disagree with that article because I don't consider myself obsessive at all!

I suppose I would fall in that catagory. But then again, I console myself by saying it's tax deductable! (clothing for work/professional uniform)