Apple Watch? Digital Jewelry? Let's Discuss!

I've finally ordered myself an AppleWatch in 38mm, as kind of a reward for a 60lb weight loss. I am debating between the Stainless and Silver Aluminum version, both have their merits, though I need to confirm the nickel content is not going to be an issue. Both are in hand, I just need to choose, and haven't opened either.

Anyone have input on which they chose, and what their reasoning was (cost, appearance, weight?) for their choice? Part of me wants to save the money and stick to the silver aluminum version, because they will likely put out another one soon enough and I might want that, but the other part of me thinks the stainless will hold up better, and this isn't like the phone where I'll want to update that every year. In theory. I also have a bit of a tangle with spending $500 on a watch that isn't "Forever" in the fact that it's technology that won't remain active forever, like my automatic watch yknow?

Also--both came with a white sport band, not my cup of tea. I ordered a midnight sport band, and I am on the fence on that one, and I am also considering other options. Nothing is screaming at me that I want it, besides the Hermes bands, which I have to earn through another large weight milestone. Technically I didn't earn this watch yet since I have 15lbs to go, but in 5 months the scale hasn't moved but I've lost 2 more pants sizes so I said F it. lol

So I want some input here, I am new to this watch, and would like to hear your thoughts on the bands you like, the faces you go to (obviously I wish I could get the Hermes ones...) and the metal you chose. And all around your thoughts.

I like the soft leather magnetic band too, in navy obviously, but i don't know if that comes in 38mm?

Congrats on your amazing weight loss! And yay new watch!!

I currently wear mine with the Milanese Loop and it is the 38mm Stainless version. I picked it purely for the way it looked over the aluminum. The glass on the stainless is more durable though, and my coworker who has both definitely damaged his aluminum one and has not damaged his stainless one.

I originally got it with the white sport band which I enjoyed, and the nylon one in Pearl, which I also liked and found more comfortable than the sport. But the Milanese loop just looks sooo pretty and I wanted it for when I wasn't dressed casually.

I believe the leather ones come in 38mm, and I sometimes think I want an Hermes band but try to avoid that thought hahaha!

Since this is a reward, I think you should go with whichever option you have that you love the most. Forget price - at least, to a degree. In my mind a $200ish difference (or whatever boundary makes sense to you) to have what you really love is so worth it after all the hard work you put in. :smile:

Congrats on your amazing weight loss! And yay new watch!!

I currently wear mine with the Milanese Loop and it is the 38mm Stainless version. I picked it purely for the way it looked over the aluminum. The glass on the stainless is more durable though, and my coworker who has both definitely damaged his aluminum one and has not damaged his stainless one.

I originally got it with the white sport band which I enjoyed, and the nylon one in Pearl, which I also liked and found more comfortable than the sport. But the Milanese loop just looks sooo pretty and I wanted it for when I wasn't dressed casually.

I believe the leather ones come in 38mm, and I sometimes think I want an Hermes band but try to avoid that thought hahaha!

Since this is a reward, I think you should go with whichever option you have that you love the most. Forget price - at least, to a degree. In my mind a $200ish difference (or whatever boundary makes sense to you) to have what you really love is so worth it after all the hard work you put in. :smile:
Thank you!!!

Yea, I am being REALLY practical about it pricewise, so trying to ignore it is hard! It is SUCH a big price leap... know I "earned it" but I am trying to not overspend on it because of the fact that it's likely to be obsolete so fast! I know DH is really not thrilled at the price spread bec I wasn't planning to get teh stainless in the budget of the reward LOL! I usually sell my current phone to one of my parents and buy the new one every year. That is easily offset. I have no doubt one of them will want the freaking watch this time though. But if it's stainless that is a harder sell.

Anyway...

To your point about the durability--you bring up a really good point. So many people have said the glass on the sport is more durable as far as it will take more whacks but scratches easier, but the stainless glass holds up to scratching better, and not impacts. So...yea. I noticed the WEIGHT differences without opening the box INSTANTLY. Like...the Stainless box weight was ridiculous! I am used to a stainless watch already with a stainless band, so that shouldn't affect me, but I was still shocked. I do worry that if I wear it to box, that it might be heavier than I prefer. I know several of my boxing partners don't have issues though wearing it with their gloves and wraps, so I shouldn't have too much problem with that being uncomfortable. I also have my chest strap heart rate monitor that I will configure as well. I might not even link that to the watch and have BOTH readings link for a curious picture...

I have looked at the milanese loop as well as knockoffs...some of the other bands in metal are more appealing to me, but I know for working out sport or nylon is probably most practical. I don't see myself changing bands constantly. I am just not that way. AKA lazy.

Thank you kindly!!!

Also--do you have a favorite watch face?