Anyone think of doing a big closet cleansing (only a few high quality items)?

how much your local thrift store selling your brand new dress or blouse? here (i live in Asia), thrift stores usually sell used clothes, so the prices are mostly less than USD 10 for dresses, tops, skirts, and pants. mine is brand new and i bought it in full price, when i think about it, so much loss at me. i already cut the prices up to 50% off but no one interested and then i changed the prices back to normal. guess i will have to wait longer.

if it doesn't work, i will try local thrift stores. thank you for the suggestion. i never thought of thrift store :P
Well, I offer the thrift stores only as an option if they cannot sell otherwise. New clothes with tags should be a plus, but yet you may not expect to get more than 20% of the price you paid, if that. Everyone wants a bargain!!! Good luck:smile:

im trying to purge my closet. most of them are brand new and am selling my stuffs in social media. it's been 4 months (more or less) since im trying to sell them, but up till now no one interested in my stuffs :sad: maybe because it's too expensive (not really actually, the prices are in range USD 10-70)

if a year has passed and my stuffs have not been reduced, i will donate my clothes.

lesson learned: don't buy clothes just because you find it nice in the photos. examine the fabric, fit, etc and then buy it.

I've tried to sell clothes on eBay but I don't really have much luck with clothes, just bags. It's very discouraging! I use CONSIGNMENT shops to sell my clothes at a decent price and thrift shops when I want to just donate what the consignment shop didn't want. Once I make up my mind I don't want it anymore, I need to get it out of the house asap!

Well, I offer the thrift stores only as an option if they cannot sell otherwise. New clothes with tags should be a plus, but yet you may not expect to get more than 20% of the price you paid, if that. Everyone wants a bargain!!! Good luck:smile:

yes, thrift store will be my last choice (because i want to use the money to buy new dresses!). thank you!

I've tried to sell clothes on eBay but I don't really have much luck with clothes, just bags. It's very discouraging! I use CONSIGNMENT shops to sell my clothes at a decent price and thrift shops when I want to just donate what the consignment shop didn't want. Once I make up my mind I don't want it anymore, I need to get it out of the house asap!

consignment shops? this is the first time i heard this. i've searched on google and this kind of stores are not popular in my country -_- even i doubt that this shop is actually exist in my country -_- but thank you for the suggestion!

consignment shops? this is the first time i heard this. i've searched on google and this kind of stores are not popular in my country -_- even i doubt that this shop is actually exist in my country -_- but thank you for the suggestion!
Yes, although I said thrift stores, I did really mean consignment. I assumed the term thrift store may be used outside the US, but think I must be wrong.

im trying to purge my closet. most of them are brand new and am selling my stuffs in social media. it's been 4 months (more or less) since im trying to sell them, but up till now no one interested in my stuffs :sad: maybe because it's too expensive (not really actually, the prices are in range USD 10-70)

if a year has passed and my stuffs have not been reduced, i will donate my clothes.

lesson learned: don't buy clothes just because you find it nice in the photos. examine the fabric, fit, etc and then buy it.

I used to try to sell my things for a price I felt was reasonable, but had trouble. Eventually, I realized anything was better than nothing (it hanging in my closet taking up space and never being worn). I take things to a place like Plato's closet (that buys clothes outright but rips you off), and things they don't accept I bring straight to donate. You may also want to bring them to H&M - you get a 20% off 1 item coupon for each bag of clothes you donate. Then they still go to a good cause and you get something out of it.

For every one clothing item I buy, I donate 2 pieces to a battered women's shelter. This forces me to be very intentional about my clothing purchases. I am enjoying the extra room in my closet, and the ease of dressing for work.
Knowing I'm helping other women is the best part. Some of the women work in the retail side of the consignment store also.

For every one clothing item I buy, I donate 2 pieces to a battered women's shelter. This forces me to be very intentional about my clothing purchases. I am enjoying the extra room in my closet, and the ease of dressing for work.
Knowing I'm helping other women is the best part. Some of the women work in the retail side of the consignment store also.

That is a great system! I think I'll donate my 'better' clothes to the shelters (bc if anyone needs a pick me up....), and my more 'used' clothes to the h&m thing.

I used to try to sell my things for a price I felt was reasonable, but had trouble. Eventually, I realized anything was better than nothing (it hanging in my closet taking up space and never being worn). I take things to a place like Plato's closet (that buys clothes outright but rips you off), and things they don't accept I bring straight to donate. You may also want to bring them to H&M - you get a 20% off 1 item coupon for each bag of clothes you donate. Then they still go to a good cause and you get something out of it.

i dont know if HnM in my country offers something like that... but thats a good thing if they apply the rules here

I've been doing a major closet purge for the past few months. I am finally back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, and am about to start a new job in the next couple of months, so I'm going through all my old stuff from Boston -- suits and courtroom wear. That said, a lot of it was messed up due to the Boston winters (lots of salt from the snows the last winter we were there before we moved) and I was not great at taking care of my clothes. I'm finding the process to be continual, in that I have to actually psych myself up to get rid of certain things. I'm donating or selling the bulk of my clothing; Goodwill for donations and ThredUp to sell. The next major closet purge, I might look into Poshmark or DePop to see if my friends or anyone else would be interested in buying from me directly.

It is very liberating to get rid of clothes that no longer bring you joy, or are just not your style. For the pieces I'm still contemplating, I'm giving myself five months with them to see if I'm wearing them at all. If not, out they go.

I generally do not return things when they do not fit (Probably because most of my clothes are from online nowadays, I find it too much of a hassle to return it if something doesn't fit.), I either keep it and put it away or find someone who will wear it. I have worked with two different consignment shops twice, and had very good experiences, so that might be an option for some tpfers wanting to get rid of their clothes and don't want the hassle of going through ebay. There's a great consignment shop around where I live that only takes high end clothing/high end designers, they really authenticate everything before they take it too, and it's always a good experience when I'm there + one consignment shop was actually nice enough to write me a check for a bunch of clothes I brought to her, and they don't automatically usually do direct sales like that for items they want in their shop.

I've sold on ebay maybe three times. It is a hassle. In order to put more photos of your item up for people to see, you have to pay (and I know it's cheap, but still. The whole point of selling is to make money not to pay money to put your item up even if it doesn't sell and then pay money to post more photos of your item.), and it's always kind of a hassle boxing/packaging sending the items out at the post office + tracking item number issues, and then there's a lot of responsibility on you. If something bad happens during shipping and that seller doesn't get that item when they're supposed to, then you're in big trouble.....Nowadays I usually just buy from ebay and don't sell there anymore.

I did however, just get rid of a garbage full of cheap clothes that I don't wear anymore. They were just wasting up closet space. I threw them anyway, didn't look like anything anyone would really want anymore, several items were very old but if the items are alright, I've also donated to Goodwill in the past. It's so refreshing to open your closet and know that everything in there are items that you would wear somehow, (I've been carefully handpicking nice pieces) or nice, tasteful items and not some of it being junk, or trendy cheap items that you no longer like.

I usually give my clothes I no longer want away to shelters and goodwill. Everytime I buy something new, I give at least two pieces away. I could sell most of it, but I have a soft spot for the needy so I try to play my part. Having too much clothing drives me nuts! I just stick to quality pieces and I love, and keep them in rotation.

Where I live there are many schools which hold fundraisers through table sales - I've sold my old clothing, unwanted costume jewellery, shoes, bags etc through these sales - really good fun chatting to people - mostly sell items for $5-$15 (mainly Zara & H&M items) and everything is clean and sometimes like new, and people are prepared to pay that it seems for good quality items.........of course you get the stingy ones who want a brand new jacket for 50 cents but I tell them to go somewhere else......have gone home with a good amount of money for the day, although my husband is quite happy to point out that I've lost a lot as well.....:P

I managed to go down by 2 dress sizes and still have some weight to loose.

To replace the old clothes, I looked at my weekly activities and tried to buy proportionally.

My current wardrobe fits in small wardrobe and I am happy with the items I have, it's a small and varied selection and I intend to keep the same system even when I will reach my target weight!