Anyone Shop/Love Ann Taylor?

^^The items I saw in my store were pretty trendy. Not as trendy as stores like H&M, but definitely not as classic/conservative as they've been in the past (no offense at all to anyone who loves the brand). That isn't necessarily bad, I just can't find anything that works for me any more.

they have a new creative director and have since fall '09 and it's only meant good things for the company, which is good because they were in the gutter for awhile. i think these mass brands are more interested in a quick buck than creating a long term relationship with clients.

the problem with marketing towards the over 50 crowd is this woman knows her body, knows quality (simply because she's shopped on her own for 30+ years at this point, so even someone who isn't an avid shopper can recognize crap) and doesn't settle for things that only half-ass satisfy her. sorry to say, but these things usually aren't found in a $120 dress at ann taylor and they know it. to create a more modern style appeals to the young professional market and turns a fast profit.

i was obsessed with the fall '09 stuff because there were loads of mad men-esque dresses similar to roland mouret for 1/5 of the price, but the spring stuff is boring (though more interesting than banana or j.crew, both of which ALWAYS look the same, season after season). as far as quality, i think they are OK considering the price point.

^^Great post! I will turn 40 later this year and that pretty much sums up how I feel. However, I will still shop at Ann Taylor for certain items (I love their shoes).

I love the Fall 09 collection and colors. I haven't found anything interesting this spring (that goes for most retailers anyway) though.

For some items, I can get away with handwashing instead of dry cleaning.

Here is my Ann Taylor ensemble... got a lot of compliments today :smile:
2v868o6.jpg

I'm wearing the Shadow Floral Silk pencil skirt today.

OOTD: http://www.polyvore.com/ootd_april_2010/set?id=17652290
Skirt: http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=24603&N=1200010&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=185&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_185&loc=TN&defaultColor=Dark%20Navy&defaultSizeType=Regular

It's just as beautiful IRL as it is in the photo. I have a really bad habit of going "OOH, PRETTY!" and then clicking "purchase" without actually reading about the product, so I didn't realize that the skirt had an elastic waistband (in addition to side zip and hook-and-eye closure) and was 8% spandex/92% silk -- both pleasant surprises to me when I tried it on, as they add substantially to the comfort of the garment. It's also very flattering. It hugs curves nicely, but doesn't cling.

Highly recommended.

^^ I Love Theory, Laundry and Tahari as well. My favorites!

I like AT but i think their style sometimes is too conservative...i love theory but they are bit pricey but their work pants are def worth the money.
i used to like tahari a lot but i think they changed their designer few years back..they remind me a lot of bebe now....

I love AT. Used to work there PT. Great discount. Never by full retail, cause their stuff goes on sale very fast. The only time you buy fill price is if it's something you REALLY like and if it's a hot item, cause it will sell out fast.
New, I love Theory and Tahari as well.

FYI: AT is the more classic items Loft, more casual and sometimes trendy. I don't care too much for Loft, but find a few things here and there.

Last edited:
they have a new creative director and have since fall '09 and it's only meant good things for the company, which is good because they were in the gutter for awhile. i think these mass brands are more interested in a quick buck than creating a long term relationship with clients.

the problem with marketing towards the over 50 crowd is this woman knows her body, knows quality (simply because she's shopped on her own for 30+ years at this point, so even someone who isn't an avid shopper can recognize crap) and doesn't settle for things that only half-ass satisfy her. sorry to say, but these things usually aren't found in a $120 dress at ann taylor and they know it. to create a more modern style appeals to the young professional market and turns a fast profit.

i was obsessed with the fall '09 stuff because there were loads of mad men-esque dresses similar to roland mouret for 1/5 of the price, but the spring stuff is boring (though more interesting than banana or j.crew, both of which ALWAYS look the same, season after season). as far as quality, i think they are OK considering the price point.

yea, i spent quite a bit of time there last fall..i was a huge fan of the "perfect platform pump" great, classic style without being too high and very comfortable..sadly, my size 5 sold out instantly..
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/pr...ue&defaultColor=Black&defaultSizeType=Regular

love this dress for spring though, it would be great for a casual wedding...
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/pr...aultColor=Sand Castle&defaultSizeType=Regular

so reminiscent of that prada lace pizzo s.