Any advise???

crate training is the way to go!!!:tup: when we got our first puppy the hubby said "no way," when i mentioned crate training. after a couple week of peeing, pooping, and eating furniture, he agreed to give it a try. it was the best thing we could have done, for us, and our baby. she loves her crate, she's almost 3, and she still loves it. just make sure you feed your puppy, and give treats to her in the crate. also, NEVER punish her by sending her to the crate, this will be her "safe place!" as mentioned before, don't let her out of the crate if you can't keep a constant eye on her. also, is she getting enough excerise? my cocker chews toilet paper when he doesn't get enough exersise during the day (he's 6). good luck, but don't give up on your baby...

Well when she was peeing in the house we would rub her face on the pee and tell her NO and that is what we have done for everything else, it worked for our other cocker.

please don't ever do this again with any animal. the animal gets confused and thinks it is being punished simply for the act of urinating. then you take it outside and expect it to urinate again after it thinks you don't want it to? not a good method.

also takeanap you can look at crate training in this way. it is a very natural thing for a dog to "den". the crate becomes that "den", a safe haven, their personal territory. if you make it a positive place to be (never punish them in there or make it a punishment to be there) the dog will willingly go there when they want to be alone or if you need to take them to the vet, they know this is their safe place. a very good training book to read is called "don't shoot the dog." You can get it at Amazon for about $10 in paperback. Be very very patient. A 6 month old doggie is just a baby quite like a human and cannot always control its impulses or bowels/bladder. Be prepared to do alot of cleaning up after him no matter what cause that just becomes your responsibility when you decide to bring an animal into your home and expect it to automatically know all the rules. He'll become part of the pack (your family) and learn his place. It just takes patience, love and respect. Good luck!

does she only do this when you are away?
when we just adopted our pup, she chewed on the wall everytime we were away. we think she was nervous and afraid of being left alone. but now, she doesnt do taht anymore because she knows we will always come back.

bagnshoofetish - i feel bad now for doing this "updated" training on her, but it worked so good on our first dog, he is such a good dog, so i thought it was gonna work on her too.

me_love_purse - yes she only does it when we are not home or when we are sleeping.

I also think she was abused at the home where she was before I got her. She puts her head down everytime we called her name and try to reach up to hear, so we have to be so careful with her all the time we want to cuddle or touch her. I think this might have somthing to do, dont you think?

^^You may be right in thinking that. That is why positive reinforcement is going to work better for you. She sounds like she is scared in timid.....but with positive training she will learn to trust you and not fear you.

I think you will be amazed at the changes you will see with her.....you know PetSmart even offers positive training, I believe it is $96 for 6 weeks...it would be a great foundation to start with.

Keep us updated on her progress.

so we have to be so careful with her all the time we want to cuddle or touch her.

just think, "reward, reward, reward." everytime she does what you want her to do, give her a small treat, and plenty of praise. like when she comes to you or even when she lets you pet her, make it as positive an experience as possible. you can reprogram her but it will take consistency from everyone she is in contact with.

Dogs are adaptable so crate train. You'll deal with a fuss for the first little while, then things will fall in place. Puppy needs to learn that it can't have everything it's way, and that you are the boss... <-- VERY VERY VERY important... and crate training is a great way to enforce this! Also as other members have mentioned - crating protects your pup!

Please try this method of training (check www.pets.ca for further "How To" info). It's easy, effective and safe. I deal with fighting animal cruelty, and what you described concerns me - please research further before rejecting wonderful training methods.

If it comes down to "giving the dog away" please DO NOT give the dog away. There are many people out there that take free dogs with bad intentions (i.e. selling to testing labs, or puppy milling the dog - all for big profits). Make sure you ask a fair price so the adopting family takes the addition of a family member seriously, also have the dog spayed or neuterd. These steps will help avoid folks with bad intentions.

All the best!!

I think what your dog needs is physical activity. She has a lot of energy and being "caged" in your home, the only way she can release that energy is by chewing on things. I agree that one should not inflict pain on a dog when disciplining it, but to stop this ongoing habit, you have to be firmer than usual. When I caught my dog chewing on my slipper, I would firmly pin him down and get a pc of newspaper and whack the floor and say "NO!" You have to do this only when you catch her in the act. Doing this form of discipline after the said crime was done is useless.... the dog will not know why she is being punished. With discipline and a LOT of exercise, I think your dog will turn out well. Good luck!

OMG I did not knew this!! how cruel!!:nogood:

SO many people have NO CLUE this happens! Did you also know that some animal shelters / humane societies sell their pets for adoption to testing labs rather than euthanize them?? It's all about the money to continue funding the business, and having in the books that they have a low kill rate. It's a sick sick sick world, and as my fave saying goes - "If you think things can't get worse you lack sufficient imagination".

YES, I am in a very pessimistic mood at the moment, lol. :hrmm:

I think what your dog needs is physical activity. She has a lot of energy and being "caged" in your home, the only way she can release that energy is by chewing on things. I agree that one should not inflict pain on a dog when disciplining it, but to stop this ongoing habit, you have to be firmer than usual. When I caught my dog chewing on my slipper, I would firmly pin him down and get a pc of newspaper and whack the floor and say "NO!" You have to do this only when you catch her in the act. Doing this form of discipline after the said crime was done is useless.... the dog will not know why she is being punished. With discipline and a LOT of exercise, I think your dog will turn out well. Good luck!

ITA. Little beats a good play! And a tired dog is much less likely to take the initiative to undertake home remodeling :smile: