And so this is Christmas....

Hi Whistlerchic!!
Yesterday I took my 9 year olds Girlscout troop to a local nursing home. The girls and Moms (or Dads) all made baked goods, made cards, and brought a little basket of goodies. First we had a show-- each of the girls did a little talent. (My girl sung "where I make my home", others played the keyboard, clarinet, danced, etc). Then they passed out the presents, cards and goodies and we all had a party. I don't know who had more fun, the residents or our girls! It was really lovely.
We also participate in a giving tree for a local orphanage (I take my two girls shopping like you and they pick out the presents).
We also certainly try to keep this sentiment in our hearts all year long, as others have suggested!
Much joy to all my PF sisters this holiday!! :smile:

I love this idea! (and thanks for reviving my thread) I am going to take my 9 yr old to my grandmother's seniors residence to do a little piano concert. I hadn't though about that before, another poster's ideas made me think of that. I think I'll try to do it more often, throughout the year as mentioned. It's so difficult to find the time when there are so many activities that my girls are involved in (like, every night of the week, ugh) But I intend to make time for that.

I've also never heard of a 'giving tree' as some people have mentioned before, so if anyone can clarify that, I'd appreciate.

thanks for all the great suggestions!

They all tease me at work because I always seem to have some sort of cause. My big one each year is fundraising and training for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. My group at work we adopt a family for the holidays. I sew things for different charity needs (backpacks, drapes, etc.) Most recently I've adopted a soldier through asoldierswishlist.org.
I feel very blessed to be in the financial state I'm in and anything that I can do to help I do.
I was amazed last year the mother of the family we adopted couldn't meet me one night because she was volunteering at her church. Just makes you realize that everyone can give something of value be it time, love, energy or financial.

Stay on topic people! :yes:

My family always adopts a family and gives food and presents. I give toys and money to some organizations and charities depending on how much I have to spare at the time. Always nice to help those less fortunate!

Great idea for a thread! :yes:

My coworkers and I adopt patients at the state mental hospital. A lot of the long-term patients don't have family (or have sadly been abandoned by their families). They are a fairly overlooked population, so we like to help them out and show them that we care.

...adopt patients at the state mental hospital. ....

This, and related projects like visiting older people in assisted living facilities, helping out at a local shelter or food bank, are especially excellent candidates for that "all year round" thing. People who will be happy to have you any time will especially appreciate the gift of yourself when the holidays are over and most people have shaken off their seasonal case of the warm fuzzies.

Also, a way to get around that holiday volunteer traffic jam - check with orgs and houses of worship of faith traditions who are not celebrating a holiday at the moment. You don't have to be an adherent of a particular faith to volunteer for projects conducted under the auspices of your local Mosque, Buddhist Temple, etc., and you can learn about a whole new mess of stuff being done to help those in need that you didn't even know about!