Alternative to the I'M NOT A PLASTIC BAG

This thread motivated me to look for a tote for my groceries. I ended up at Wal-Mart, and I found this in the luggage section. It's microfiber with a zip top and a snapping flap. It's lined in sturdy nylon and has a zipped pocket inside. It's 22 inches wide and 14 inches tall. It's folds down and snaps into a square 10 wide and 5 inches tall, so you can tuck it away in your purse. The handles are long enough to carry on the shoulder, and it was only $9. I used it to carry my groceries home today, and it worked perfectly. Here are two pics: one of the tote open and one of it folded. The water bottle is just for size reference. I know it's not the most fashionable thing, but I wanted to keep it neutral, because my BF will be carrying it too.

Attachments

• tote.jpg
    tote.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 103
  • tote2.jpg
    tote2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 100
Targets has them for $1.49. They're called Greenbags. I bought 6 of them! :tup:

Do you have pics? I tried searching for it on their website, but couldn't find it.

Im really liking those Planet Bags (from Amazon - I posted earlier) - at least until the Bugga Bag comes out in July. I'm definitely going to order those!

Info on the "Feed bag" which I like much better:

Tracy Achor Hayes
The Dallas Morning News
Jul. 2, 2007 03:43 PM

In an era of $1,500 (and up) designer bags, here's a refreshing novelty: a $59.95 bag that helps feed a hungry child. The Feed bag project was developed by Lauren Bush, President Bush's niece, through the United Nations World Food Program. Each bag sold will fund a full school year of meals for a child in need. The tote reverses from burlap to off-white canvas and is just the right size for a quick run through the grocery store or farmer's market. That means you can not only make a small step toward helping end hunger, but also forgo the paper or plastic option, thus both improving your karma and lowering your carbon imprint in a single swoop.

Who wouldn't want to do that?

070307feedbag.jpg

I like the Feed bag and think it would make a great tote - but it isn't large enough for grocery shopping (quick trips or small loads maybe, but not a week's worth of groceries). And at $60, it's a little much to buy more than one. I really like the Bugga Bags and/or Planet Bags for grocery shopping bags - you get 3 for under $10 and that should carry a week's worth of groceries.

I still think the Feed bag is a good idea for various other uses - I just wouldn't use it as a replacement for plastic grocery bags.

Here's another one from our friends at Hayden Harnett - a little pricier, but at least part of the money is going to charity.
http://haydenharnett.com/index.cgi?...l=no&back=http://haydenharnett.com/index.cgi?
Photo_070407.jpg

These are the bags from Targets. They have a bottom piece that makes it more sturdier/comfortable and without the hang. My local grocery store sells their own brand of recycle bags. The cashier told me, "It's now the law to offer those bags for sale, and soon their will be no more plastic bags." ;)

Another reusable shopping bag becoming popular is the carrot bag by SKN. checkit out at http:/www.getskn.com - very cute and only$25. I've been using mine for a month now. It holds an insane amout and I've been getting loads of compliments!

Wow, I like a lot of these! I'm definitely going to try to get my hands on a couple of Baggu Bags, they seem perfect. I would also like to get one of those Feed bags.

My biggest complaint about using your own bags is that many checkout cashiers at non-environmentally focused stores (e.g. not Whole Foods or Ikea) get confused/exasperated using the reusable bags. I tried to use my own bags at the grocery self-checkout line, but the machine won't let you hold open the bag b/c that changes the weight it senses. I got frustrated and just used their plastic bags.

Piggly Wiggly has reusable shopping bag available for sale also. They have the Piggly Wiggly pig on them, though. One of the local grocery stores here actually gives you a three cent credit if you use your own bags.