Alicia Silverstone Candids

It's okay. You don't understand so you're asking me to clarify, which I'm happy to do.

It is an "I'm a vegetarian and it's wonderful" and I think that's great. That's the part that doesn't bother me. I can't really put my finger on what bothers me about it, except to say that, given my feelings on PETA as a group, I tend to be wary of things they put out.

I do have to admit, it's beautifully done!
And I'm sure thats how Alicia Silverstone feels when she sees commercials of slaughtered, tortured animals mushed up into a patty and thrown on to a bun like its nothing. I still am utterly confused about what your saying. Yes, she said she feels great from being a vegan. Whats wrong with that? Shes telling people how she feels just like your doing right now. Maybe thats something that you would say if you converted to being a vegan. You can't be pleased with everybody in the world and how they word their opinions, it's just not going to happen. And may I ask what is it that PETA dishes out that bothers you? Your welcome to PM me if you do not want to say it on this thread.

What was your reaction to that, how is it different that "I'm a vegetarian and it's wonderful."? I am not trying to be confrontational I just don't understand. And why does this concept of her doing that commercial bother you?
I think it's great! It's a great marketing idea for PETA so that they can get more attention, which in the end will be better for the animals if more people are aware of animal rights. I love how she uses her fame to educate on vegeatarianism and help to spread the word.:yes:

Do a search on Google about how many animals PETA saves. They actually kill quite a few.

One of the organizations I belong to, Best Friends, even issued a statement against them.

I'm happy for Alicia being a vegetarian and all, but I think people should be aware of what PETA is all about.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm

Um . . . . I didn't say people couldn't state their opinion. (And I'm not even touching the slavery comment).

I'd like to point out, though, that you're the one that got all up in arms about my opinion.

I have no problem with Alicia Silverstone being a vegan. Everyone should have a lifestyle they are completely happy with. It's great she's confident enough to pose nude.

In the ad, she says "I feel so much better and have so much more energy. It's so amazing."

Maybe I gave too much of a knee-jerk reaction when I first saw the words Alicia Silverstone and Vegan but it honestly wouldn't have bothered me if the ad was "I'm a vegetarian and it's wonderful."

Alicia Silverstone posed nude, did that commercial and talked about vegetarianism for the goveg campaign, and I think that's what bothers me more than anything.

I don't understand why that would bother you. I just watched a bunch of shows about the way americans eat, and its grotesque, not to mention completely unhealthy. The statistics are staggering for just how much healthier you become if you cut out meat. It reduces your chances of disease by ALOT. Something like 30% for high blood pressure, or heart disease...
I'm pretty sure a campaign for healthy eating is actually a good thing. It's exactly what the world needs, you don't have to agree with going veg, but you can't disagree with the health benefits. In the end every individual is capable of making that decision for themselves. Just like I pass by McDonalds every day without ever going in despite their ads on television.

Do a search on Google about how many animals PETA saves. They actually kill quite a few.

One of the organizations I belong to, Best Friends, even issued a statement against them.

I'm happy for Alicia being a vegetarian and all, but I think people should be aware of what PETA is all about.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm

That really pisses me off! PETA wants to be seen as a group that takes care of animals and their rights and what do they do? They kill the animals! It's just gross! :cursing: :mad: :cursing: :mad: :cursing:

"From July 1998 through the end of 2005, PETA killed over 14,400 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during 2005 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing."

That really pisses me off! PETA wants to be seen as a group that takes care of animals and their rights and what do they do? They kill the animals! It's just gross! :cursing: :mad: :cursing: :mad: :cursing:

"From July 1998 through the end of 2005, PETA killed over 14,400 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during 2005 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing."
Those are all untrue statements...