Adrianne Curry doesn't care for BET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am aware of all the different scholarships out there, what I don't understand is on those standardized tests like the SAT, it has only that section for African Americans to check, there isn't one for Caucasian, Asian, disabled people, etc.
I don't think I need to do anymore research and I am fully understanding of this topic, my main wish and goal in life is to see unity someday among all races, and that people would stop separting races and racial tension will be nonexistant.
Also, nowhere did I say that blacks are getting more benefits than other races.

when i took the SAT, there were lots of different categories you could pick from that encompassed the majority of ethnicities. not just black. or you could choose not to report, which is what i did. those sections aren't for the dissemination of financial aid, they're for statistical purposes for the testing agencies. if you took the SAT more than a few years ago, things have changed since you took it. i've never, not once, seen a test where you checked a box only if you're black, and i've taken every major standardized test up to college level except the ACT.

when i took the SAT, there were lots of different categories you could pick from that encompassed the majority of ethnicities. not just black. or you could choose not to report, which is what i did. those sections aren't for the dissemination of financial aid, they're for statistical purposes for the testing agencies. if you took the SAT more than a few years ago, things have changed since you took it. i've never, not once, seen a test where you checked a box only if you're black, and i've taken every major standardized test up to college level except the ACT.
Sorry, what I meant was there was a box where you could check that said something like "check here if you are African American to apply and be considered for the African American scholarship fund." That's what I feel is wrong. I don't recall a box where it said "check here if you are Asian to apply for the Asian scholarship fund." See what I mean? Sorry for the misunderstanding.:shame:

Well, I am aware of all the different scholarships out there, what I don't understand is on those standardized tests like the SAT, it has only that section for African Americans to check, there isn't one for Caucasian, Asian, disabled people, etc.
I don't think I need to do anymore research and I am fully understanding of this topic, my main wish and goal in life is to see unity someday among all races, and that people would stop separting races and racial tension will be nonexistant.
Also, nowhere did I say that blacks are getting more benefits than other races.
Your example about this box on the PSAT is an example of a benefit you feel that blacks get that isn't given to other races. Frankly I have never seen that box or anything like it. I think you misunderstood.

Your example about this box on the PSAT is an example of a benefit you feel that blacks get that isn't given to toher races. Frankly I have never seen that box. However, you should probably find out more about who sponsors it and WHY it is on there.
I do feel it is wrong that only blacks get that option when taking the PSAT, SAT, etc. I am aware of who sponsors it, but I don't understand WHY it is there. If someone is going to put an option for black people to be able to be automatically considered for scholarship, I believe that all races and ethniticites should have that option. I feel that is yet another problem that obviously contributes to racial tension.
As for you not seeing that, perhaps we took it at different times and they changed it? I'm not too sure.

Sorry, what I meant was there was a box where you could check that said something like "check here if you are African American to apply and be considered for the African American scholarship fund." That's what I feel is wrong. I don't recall a box where it said "check here if you are Asian to apply for the Asian scholarship fund." See what I mean? Sorry for the misunderstanding.:shame:

I remember seeing that box on my PSAT/SAT too. This was years ago though so I don't know if it has changed with the new overhaul of both tests and all.

It's important to remember and not forget. Although I am surprised how Americans are obsessed with race, if it truely was the big "melting pot" where everyone is equal, maybe there shouldn't be the need to have special "events" or cross marking category by race, that to me makes you more an outcast than a fully integrated and EQUAL person as everybody else.

I do feel it is wrong that only blacks get that option when taking the PSAT, SAT, etc. I am aware of who sponsors it, but I don't understand WHY it is there. If someone is going to put an option for black people to be able to be automatically considered for scholarship, I believe that all races and ethniticites should have that option. I feel that is yet another problem that obviously contributes to racial tension.
As for you not seeing that, perhaps we took it at different times and they changed it? I'm not too sure.
Just because that option may be on that ONE test doesn't mean that everyone else is entirely precluded from getting scholarships. But I think you know that already so I don't really get what the problem is.

And you know what I find interesting and slightly amusing? I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that to date we have never had a president who wasn't white. I don't see anyone complaining about the racial make-up of the US Senate. I don't see anyone acknowledging the fact that at HBCU's whites and other nonblacks can get scholarships because they are considered minorities. Why is the complaint always centered around black people? Never disabled people or any people in other categories.

ITA!!
If Americans would stop focusing so much on race, I truly believe there would be more unification in the U.S., which is the ultimate goal in my eyes.
sigh....okay you TOTALLY missed the point.

My point is why are you and many others in the world always complaining about what you perceive BLACK people to be getting? But you don't complain about others who have benefits as well, and in greater proportions than blacks.

It's important to remember and not forget. Although I am surprised how Americans are obsessed with race, if it truely was the big "melting pot" where everyone is equal, maybe there shouldn't be the need to have special "events" or cross marking category by race, that to me makes you more an outcast than a fully integrated and EQUAL person as everybody else.
You have to remember that there is a higher minority population in the US. That fact and the sheer number of different minority groups vs. most countries in Europe make a fair comparison impossible. "Race" won't be an issue if you are not confronted with it constantly. Nevertheless, I can still remember that France had some issues with its' minority/immigrant population not too long ago.

Uh-Oh....I can see this thread getting ugly fast.....

Same here. With topics like these people are usually so convinced that their own viewpoint is correct that it's almost useless to try and change anyone else's mind on it. I can see both sides of the fence - there's just no easy solution to the problem and I doubt there ever will be. With regards to the media, I'm glad that there are some channels like the Disney channel that incorporate more diverse casts in their programming than NBC, ABC, etc.

Uh-Oh....I can see this thread getting ugly fast.....
Yeah, I think it is.
I think all in all what we all believe in(hopefully) is that one day no one will be judged by the color of their skin and that people will start looking at the person rather than their ethnicity and that fairness and justice will exist one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.