Workplace A thread for the unemployed

Oh, big {{{ hugs }}}. I have a feeling I am going to be joining you shortly. Again. Second time in two years. They haven't come out and said it yet, because there's a lot they want me to do before Christmas.... but the writing is there on the wall....Ugh. Here we go again.....

Oh no so sorry to hear that! :hugs:
Things will get better :smile:

Sternchen, have you made any decision? :smile:
Any news?
Hugs to all you ladies who got unemployed, it happens so quickly and unexpectedly these days. Hope you find the new job soon.

Hi everyone,

just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing. The past few weeks have been pretty busy here.

At the end of September I had a telephone interview with a major company. The telephone interview went well and I am now invited to an Assessment Center (battery of tests to test my intelligence and social skills) in Berlin. I will be there from the 5th to the 6th. The company is paying for my train ticket and the hotel room. Nice, huh?

I was able to convince the temp agency to let me start 2 weeks later. They originally wanted me to start on the 4th, but I couldn't work 1 day and then ask for 2 off, know what I mean? I made up an excuse and the lady wasn't happy. She said that I wasn't being very reliable and blah blah. It was an awful situation, but I would kick myself in the butt for not taking the chance at trying to get a job at the major company. Know what I mean? Anyway, I got her to push my start date back to the 17th.

That way I will have a back-up plan just in case it doesn't work out with the other company. I'm still upset that I might be doing temp-work but it really is better than nothing.

Status = muddy
Like many of you know!

How do you keep your head up?

I look back to the first time this happened and I honestly don't know. It makes you appreciate everything you have and you find - at least I did - you are grateful for even little things.
I've already started sending my CV out and am contacting a couple of, well - contacts - people I know who will put me forward for roles as they hear about them.
I hardly slept last night. I have a strong gut feeling this job is coming to an end as soon as I have completed the work they need me for.
Only good thing, this time round I have taken out salary insurance. It'll give me enough to live on and pay all the bills - at least this time, I won't have the worry of potentially losing my home....ugh.
{{{Hugs}}} to everyone here going through unemployment.

Hi guys!!

Sorry that I haven't updated in a while. I started my new job on the 17th and I have been extremely busy. Long hours, I don't get home till late and I have to get up way early. I've been on the go since 5am this morning and it's almost 8pm now. I'm pooped!

I took the job with the temp company and am now working at a large bank as an assistant to the CEO. It's okay... it's a lot of stuff to learn, but every day I learn something new and can do more than the day before :smile:

Temp isn't the ideal job-situation for me, but it's better than nothing right now. I won't fill out applications for the next month or two, because I'm just plain E X H A U S T E D from the job-hunt. I want to get a few months of experience on my resume so that I at least have something other than my bachelors degree! :smile:

Good luck to you, I very much hope it will work best for your and your future job hunting...and they still might want to keep you at certain position in the bank after your contract with temp agency has expired.
Best of luck!;)

Hi guys!!

Sorry that I haven't updated in a while. I started my new job on the 17th and I have been extremely busy. Long hours, I don't get home till late and I have to get up way early. I've been on the go since 5am this morning and it's almost 8pm now. I'm pooped!

I took the job with the temp company and am now working at a large bank as an assistant to the CEO. It's okay... it's a lot of stuff to learn, but every day I learn something new and can do more than the day before :smile:

Temp isn't the ideal job-situation for me, but it's better than nothing right now. I won't fill out applications for the next month or two, because I'm just plain E X H A U S T E D from the job-hunt. I want to get a few months of experience on my resume so that I at least have something other than my bachelors degree! :smile:

Good luck to you, I very much hope it will work best for your and your future job hunting...and they still might want to keep you at certain position in the bank after your contract with temp agency has expired.
Best of luck!;)

Thank you!

That is my hope so I am trying to do the best work that I can.

I did get sick at the end of last week though and was sick as a dog over the weekend. My cold is still here today but I feel better than I did yesterday. Now this awful hacking-cough is coming around... YUCK!!

Nothing like trying to answer the phone and having to cough in the middle of saying hello, haha. *sigh*

I'll be leaving work an hour early today since I'm not feeling all that well. Sucks that I won't be able to wrack up very much overtime, but my health is more important right now.

I am having a bad day today..I normally can keep my head high despite being unemployed since September 30, 2011. How do they really expect people to live on 300+ dollars a week. I do not have any children but I still have to live, pay my car note, and etc. I went to school and all this to sit at home. This is a nightmare:cry::crybaby:. I apologize for being a sour puss but it just seems like it is raining bad luck right now....:sad:, I feel so hopeless and helpless. Who knew that at 32 my life would look like this...

I am having a bad day today..I normally can keep my head high despite being unemployed since September 30, 2011. How do they really expect people to live on 300+ dollars a week. I do not have any children but I still have to live, pay my car note, and etc. I went to school and all this to sit at home. This is a nightmare:cry::crybaby:. I apologize for being a sour puss but it just seems like it is raining bad luck right now....:sad:, I feel so hopeless and helpless. Who knew that at 32 my life would look like this...

:hugs: I know exactly what you're going through, and so do a lot of us here. This recession came out of left field for many people, and we just have to do our best to cope. Sorry for the cliche, but keep your chin up!

I'm on month 6 now...It's not fun at all and I'm bored and want to work! Just doing school right now, but I get depressed every time I look at job listings.

any updates from the ladies here or am I the only one still unemployed?? :sad:
I just submitted a ton more applications to Holt Renfrew. Other then that, there really are very few jobs that would pay enough to keep me in school and with a roof over my head...life sucks at the moment. All I want is a job that pays enough for me to move out on my own and be able to start living life a little.

Can I join in here even though I am employed? I am working 3 days a week for 6 hrs a day, but I need more hours!! I work for a non-profit as a receptionist but I am like 15 credits short of having my Bachelor's degree in Sociology. At one point I thought I wanted an MSW and to be a therapist, but I am having second thoughts about "investing" in any more education with the economy the way it is.
I WAS going to start applying for Food Stamp and Welfare Caseworker positions after the holidays, as I am fully qualified, but now there is 3 month hiring freeze going into affect in January!
Any thoughts?

Mitzy said:
Can I join in here even though I am employed? I am working 3 days a week for 6 hrs a day, but I need more hours!! I work for a non-profit as a receptionist but I am like 15 credits short of having my Bachelor's degree in Sociology. At one point I thought I wanted an MSW and to be a therapist, but I am having second thoughts about "investing" in any more education with the economy the way it is.
I WAS going to start applying for Food Stamp and Welfare Caseworker positions after the holidays, as I am fully qualified, but now there is 3 month hiring freeze going into affect in January!
Any thoughts?

Where do you live? If you want to become a therapist, MSW is def the way to go considering you get your license afterwards. In Hunter school in NY the degree cost about $15k I think. Maybe you can save up and go part time in school? Also keep in mind you will have to do internships too. I think you should try to apply for food stamps but carefully look at the qualifications in your state because in NY if you are a student you have to work a certain amount of hours to be eligible for food stamps.