a little sad...

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've never been to Manhasset, but I've been treated similarly at the smaller contemporary clothing stores here in LA (stores that sell Marc by Marc Jacobs, Juicy Couture, those types of clothes). I sometimes think it's because I don't look like the stereotypical "LA-wannabe actress" type (I never could, even if I wanted to, because I'm Asian). Anyway...it's all about the personal biases of the SAs. I'm guessing that it really was a mind game, like funny said, or that the lady the SAs were helping was an old favorite who's been helped by all 3 at some point in time. The lady was probably like a friend to them, so they felt the need to gather around her. Not that that was a good excuse, but it may explain the behavior.

HiHeels said:
what makes the store a leased store vs. a real one? why would hermes allow there to be substandard locations?
Large malls lease the stores, but I guess hermes can not controll the personality:yucky: of the SA's. I am sure they have rules, and expectations...but ultimately it is the human element that seems to be less than expected of hermes:lecture:
the goods are allways good!:love: :lol:

funnyredhed said:
It should make no difference -- whether it's leased, owned, Hermes, Saks, Neiman Marcus -- or the corner grocery store. Without customers, they have no business - and without service, they should have no customers. All 3 SAs in that Manhasset store couldn't POSSIBLY be making enough commissions off ONE person to justify ignoring another customer in the store.
I TOTALLY agree!!:yes: I wish it was so ! The small boutiques seem like little clubs, and they probably are buddies with the managers, and no SA's ever gets into trouble , at the flagship stores the managers take custmers more seriously IMO.

avandome said:
Large malls lease the stores, but I guess hermes can not controll the personality:yucky: of the SA's. I am sure they have rules, and expectations...but ultimately it is the human element that seems to be less than expected of hermes:lecture:
the goods are allways good!:love: :lol:

Most stores actually lease their spaces, and not just in malls. I doubt that Hermes owns their space on Madison...

I'm thinking that the store in Manhasset is a LICENSED store (versus a company-owned store), meaning Hermes essentially rents their name to another company but does not run the store itself. Of course, the store must still adhere to Hermes policies and procedures, including hiring polite staff! Hope this helps...

Ryan

It`s not up to you but to them ...:graucho: . My husband and I know (and visit(ed)) six Hermès-Stores: three in France, including Faubourg, three in Germany. The nicest behaviour we've experienced in France, the worst in our hometown in Germany :yucky: . So I wrote a very harnished letter :rant: to the store manager and complained about their attidudes; I
cancelled my Birkin-order - weeks later I got a "so sorry"-letter.
Sadly sale conversations with Hermès sometimes seem more like military orders than something glamorous!
A few weeks ago we saw that sale personal after the store had closed, they drank Prosecco and their handbags were ... Louis Vuitton. The LV-Store is only a few steps from the Hermès-Store... :lol:

This really upsets me!! I absolutely hate it when salespeople are rude, regardless of what you're wearing/how you look - you can't judge someone simply because they're not all "done up", esp. if there's somedays I just want to run errands in a Juicy tracksuit! It happens to DH and I sometimes - we're both quite young, but we're also both doctors, and I find sometimes we don't get taken seriously when we're shopping for a bigger purchase.

If it's a leased boutique, I'd be tempted to write a letter to the store manager. That way it'll get filtered down to Hermes, and hopefully not impact your ability to get a bag (how sad it comes to that!)

That one in Hamburg. But I believe some of the SA have changend, the new people are very nice: at the end of my last visit ( asking for the PB-bag) the woman thanked for my interest in Hermès products. Days before I've bought a soie-belle shawl and afterwards they gave me ten perfume samples ... .
Quite nice and helpfull seemed to me the SA in Berlin, Friedrichstraße.

Write a letter to the management and complain. This is unacceptable *especially* in the oh-so-service-oriented US.

It doesn't matter if the store is leased or whatever. It bears the Hermes name. This behaviour by the SA damages the brand. Complain! After all, it is your cash that produces their paychecks.

Eglofstein said:
It`s not up to you but to them ...:graucho: . My husband and I know (and visit(ed)) six Hermès-Stores: three in France, including Faubourg, three in Germany. The nicest behaviour we've experienced in France, the worst in our hometown in Germany :yucky: . So I wrote a very harnished letter :rant: to the store manager and complained about their attidudes; I
cancelled my Birkin-order - weeks later I got a "so sorry"-letter.
Sadly sale conversations with Hermès sometimes seem more like military orders than something glamorous!
A few weeks ago we saw that sale personal after the store had closed, they drank Prosecco and their handbags were ... Louis Vuitton. The LV-Store is only a few steps from the Hermès-Store... :lol:

Did you get your Birkin quicker after you cancelled your order :smile: ?? Very bold and courageous move by the way and in my view totally justified!

funnyredhed said:
yep -- that's exactly how they want you to feel! It's all a mind game....they want you to believe that they control access to what you want. IMHO, it's a lot of BS. If you walk in looking like you belong there and not like they are granting you the privilege of being there, then you're two steps ahead of the game.
Well said! They DO want you to feel so worried about not being able to get a bag that you won't speak up.

I didn't get any birkin, but - for several reasons - that was my choice. Another store offered my favourite (40 cm, black, palladium, clemence) - and I didn't take it. That doesn't matter, because I want to purchase the PB (GM) - I think I can use it the whole day long.
(On the other hand I'm a bit afraid of the unfinished lining, will there be a nice "patina" or will it look weird?):wondering
:yahoo: Each woman should go into any store feeling strong !!! :yahoo: