How often is often enough ???

aine1313

O.G.
Oct 16, 2007
My Oak mulberry bag is stained with raindrops!! I bought it in October and have sprayed it 4 times since purchase.Husband said it smells of collonil spray. Anyway today I went out for lunch in heavy rain and left the rain droplets sitting on the bag when eating lunch.(didn't want to look crazy drying the bag)...some have them soaked through and remain. I remember the collonil thread and can't understand what happened.:sad:

:yes:Right i can't belive you just wrote this i brought an elgin and i protected it probally and i got water on it and it stained so as i had brought 2 bags together (bayswater being 2nd)i got the hump and took it back. They changed it straight away no problems. However i really can't belive that i have just looked on ebay and i am 100% sure someone is selling my old bag that got sent bag the item code on Ebay is 270198347884. Have a look. the stain is exactly the same.

:yes:Right i can't belive you just wrote this i brought an elgin and i protected it probally and i got water on it and it stained so as i had brought 2 bags together (bayswater being 2nd)i got the hump and took it back. They changed it straight away no problems. However i really can't belive that i have just looked on ebay and i am 100% sure someone is selling my old bag that got sent bag the item code on Ebay is 270198347884. Have a look. the stain is exactly the same. so i would take it back.

A friend of mine had an oak Rosemary bag and the same happened to her , she had treated the bag , but it still got stained ?
Maybe you have to put Shed loads of it on to protect it properly??
Really feel for you though as there is nothing worse than water marks , maybe it will dry out o.k , fingers crossed :smile:

I think Chaz said you ned to spray at least 3rd of a can of collonil on the bag and really soak it in the stuff. Wait for Chaz- she's the authority on collonil !!!

I think Chaz said you ned to spray at least 3rd of a can of collonil on the bag and really soak it in the stuff. Wait for Chaz- she's the authority on collonil !!!

I have used 1 tin of collonil spray on that bag since October!!(It's hardly possible to buy fake collonil on ebay!!!!) I still think you have to dry it immediately if it gets wet because I waited 1 hour before doing so.The drops did appear to be just sitting on top of the bag and I thought there would be no problem.

:yes:Right i can't belive you just wrote this i brought an elgin and i protected it probally and i got water on it and it stained so as i had brought 2 bags together (bayswater being 2nd)i got the hump and took it back. They changed it straight away no problems. However i really can't belive that i have just looked on ebay and i am 100% sure someone is selling my old bag that got sent bag the item code on Ebay is 270198347884. Have a look. the stain is exactly the same.

I saw the bag...you did well to spot it. I bet you would love to ask the seller where they bought it.

I have used 1 tin of collonil spray on that bag since October!!(It's hardly possible to buy fake collonil on ebay!!!!) I still think you have to dry it immediately if it gets wet because I waited 1 hour before doing so.The drops did appear to be just sitting on top of the bag and I thought there would be no problem.

OO,I'm guessing there may be a fault with the leather then,when I asked the manageress from Shepton(met her at the Chesh Oaks opening) she said you have to spray the bag so the collinil is literally running off,absolutely all over and pay special attention to any stitches. That said its worked for me on the Elgin,to the point I could leave it under a fast running tap. I have had the Elgin out in the rain and have'nt re-done it since I put the pics on the thread,and its still ok,I'm waiting to see how long each spraying will last,I'm sure its been about a month now?? If I take it out and it does get wet,I dry it off as soon as I get in,and leave it empty hanging on a chair to totally dry out.

just re-read your post,could be that you left water on it too long,I don't give a rats ass what I look like when I'm out!! As soon as I'm out of the rain I'll dry it!!! Its £500 quid!!!! If you feel a bit self concious,nip off to the loo and dry it with bog roll,hand towels,the inside of your coat whatever,when I have got back in the car I've even used one of Sophies nappies as I had nothing else!!!

OO,I

just re-read your post,could be that you left water on it too long,I don't give a rats ass what I look like when I'm out!! As soon as I'm out of the rain I'll dry it!!! Its £500 quid!!!! If you feel a bit self concious,nip off to the loo and dry it with bog roll,hand towels,the inside of your coat whatever,when I have got back in the car I've even used one of Sophies nappies as I had nothing else!!!

I have another 2 bottles of collonil,that bag won't know what hit it. Maybe tomorrow it will have dried out.I will make sure to pop to the loo and dry the bag the next time. Shame because I want to use it everyday. Did you dry off your bag immediately after putting it under the tap?

I have another 2 bottles of collonil,that bag won't know what hit it. Maybe tomorrow it will have dried out.I will make sure to pop to the loo and dry the bag the next time. Shame because I want to use it everyday. Did you dry off your bag immediately after putting it under the tap?

I did,yes,most of the water shook off and there was tiny droplets the size of pinheads left,I brushed those off with my hand to see how waterproof the bag really had got,then I just gave it a quick wipe with a tea towel just to make sure.

Make sure you give loads of time for your bag to dry,couple of days if you can,use something else.I think if you put collinil on a damp spot you will seal it in and it may stain permanently,or the moisture may become mould under the 'skin' of the collinil if it can't get out.Dry it somewhere thats not too hot,or it may stress the leather fibers and make them brittle,causing cracks later on.xxxxxxxxxxx

Just checked and no change this morning with water drops. You are right to advise no more collonil until I am sure there is no chance of it drying out. Hopefully it will stop this happening to someone else.