any tips for online shopping?

What kind of sites are you referring to? Shopping at a department store's online site vs. small boutique online site vs ebay vs shady sites selling so-called authentic bags for cheap are ALL very different experiences.

If you've never seen a bag, make sure the site has a solid return policy. You can also check here for threads about certain retailers, to hear about others' experiences with them.

What kind of sites are you referring to? Shopping at a department store's online site vs. small boutique online site vs ebay vs shady sites selling so-called authentic bags for cheap are ALL very different experiences.

If you've never seen a bag, make sure the site has a solid return policy. You can also check here for threads about certain retailers, to hear about others' experiences with them.

Couldn't put it better myself:
1. reputation/reliability
2. return policy

ARE key

I would never buy a bag I haven't seen, felt adn tried on from an online store:nogood:
So it would HAVE TO be a bag I've tried on at an amazing price w/ stellar customer service :biggrin:
. . . all reasons why I haven't been able to buy a bag online ;)

Lots and lots of pictures. Pictures on a model (and tell us how tall the model is), pictures from all sides, pictures of all the colors, pictures of the lining, etc. Also helps if the description is detailed: what kind of leather, what metal is the hardware, the dimensions, etc.

I would never buy a bag I haven't seen, felt adn tried on from an online store:nogood:
So it would HAVE TO be a bag I've tried on at an amazing price w/ stellar customer service :biggrin:
. . . all reasons why I haven't been able to buy a bag online ;)

Swanky Mama -- not even if you'd be able to return it? I figure that if I see an online deal and, say Saks is only a subway ride away to return, then why not? Especially when I can get free shipping? Just saves me the dealing with the crowds issue...

I've had outstanding service with: Luna Boston; Active Endeavors; MZ Wallace; BLVD; Linnea Pelle; Net-a-Porter; and ELuxury. Not that many others aren't good also, I just have personal experience with these.

I try to go to a department store to look at the bag in person first. If you can find the website of the bag's designer you can often find a dept store nearby that carries it, even if the dept store charges more than you want to pay, you can go and look!

If I can't see the bag in person first I try to make sure the site I'm buying it from has a return policy, unless it's a bag by a maker I am very confident about re: consistent quality (which for me is pretty much only Rebecca Minkoff, MJ, Botkier, but even styles and materials within a designer's line can vary so I think it's always best to see in person.)

For me there really is no substitute for seeing a bag in person -- the colors and quality of the leather can never be totally accurately communicated via picture, IMO (not to mention how it will actually look ON me!)