Any tPF civilians "packing?"

If I felt as if my life or my family's life was in danger I would shoot to kill. I know the laws where I live if someone breaks into your house you can shoot them. In the past 6 months there has been about three people killed where I grew up from breaking into homes, and you know what?......people have thought twice before they go breaking down someone's door.

A man(who had been through CC training) in my community shot a home intruder, four conditions met. Did not kill intruder. Intruder then sued the homeowner --paraded character witnesses that said this boy was only a thief, would not hurt anyone(yet still conveyed threat to life of homeowner). The homeowner won, however he did have to foot the legal bills for his defense.

We had a famous case in the UK, two guys broke into a framhouse the farmer shoot them killing one and injuring the other. The farmer went to jail after his release the injured intruder sued but didn't win but he receives gov. benefits as he says he is unable to work because of a him being left with a limp (from bullet) and mental stress/epression

DH and I both have permits and carry on a regular basis. He has both a shoulder holster and a clip on belt holster, and I also have a clip on belt holster. We use the clip ons more. He carries a S&W 40 or a Taurus 9mm, and I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. I started to carry when DH had to work overnights and I was home alone. We lived in an extremely bad neighborhood and had 3 drive-by's in the last year we lived there. While walking the dog one night DH had a car pull up and try to sell him drugs. We moved ASAP, but started carrying for protection in the meantime.

Shoulder holster.

Guns don't make you safe or give you a safe feeling.

Vlad, your example in my mind (since it's my words you're quoting) DO NOT call for using or even showing a gun, not even mentioning "I'm packing" to the person. It's illegal here to show a gun that way. I'd just call the cops!! When say safety I mean I'm home alone with my family and a bastard comes into our home armed and threatening. Or I'm all alone in the office, all 4'9" of me, and a man I've sent to jail for doing something illegal comes in, armed or not, acts belligerant and comes for me. I'm not taking any chances. I used to think like you, Vlad. Guns used to scare the $#!+ out of me. They somewhat still do (they're a huge responsabilty and our lives as well as others depend of being level headed when it comes to firearms). I'm just up for paying with my life for choosing to help people for a living.

People I know that have guns carry them on specific situations. My law partner who had a guy come in pointing a gun at him 'cause he got him jailed for domestic violence. Me having my tires slashed for not backing down when it came to defending someone who was wronged. Having my life threatened because a dead beat'd rather spend his money on drugs and cars rather than helping raise his baby daughter. That's not fair or fun. It's not like I walk through life not paying attention to what's happening all around me. I look all around me wherever I go, pay attention to my surroundings, avoid dangerous situations even as a young girl because my parents taught me that. We don't carry our guns to the mall or the movies or dinner. Not when we go out with our families. Only when working...

You have to be responsible for your own actions. I can't live in fear because I don't know who next to me is carrying a gun (legal or not). I just live my life as a responsible member of society and hope that God keeps me safe as well as all those around me.

it's a double edged sword. . .
In a perfect world, bad people wouldn't be carrying guns while shopping or walking down the street, etc. . . only to pull it on a some poor unsuspecting individual for looking crossways at him.
But that's not our world. . . and it's tragic.
It's scary as all hell, I agree Vlad:yes:
But if us good guys agree to not carry them because we know in the perfect world we shouldn't or shouldn't have to, then the bad guys will definitely prevail as they'll continue to carry them and we'll be on a severely unlevel playing field.
I'm alive today because homeowners are allowed to protect themselves.
My Dad, the big softy, taught me to shoot to kill, meanwhile simply held the gun to our thief's head until the police came.
Who knows if I'd be able to tell that story if my dad wasn't armed in his own home.

Ladies, purses and guns.... Awesome!

I don't own one. But I have been to a shotting range. What a rush! My first shot was almost dead center on the paper dummy. Probably a lucky shot but it was awesome. Very intense.

Shoulder holster.

Guns don't make you safe or give you a safe feeling.

Vlad, your example in my mind (since it's my words you're quoting) DO NOT call for using or even showing a gun, not even mentioning "I'm packing" to the person. It's illegal here to show a gun that way. I'd just call the cops!! When say safety I mean I'm home alone with my family and a bastard comes into our home armed and threatening. Or I'm all alone in the office, all 4'9" of me, and a man I've sent to jail for doing something illegal comes in, armed or not, acts belligerant and comes for me. I'm not taking any chances. I used to think like you, Vlad. Guns used to scare the $#!+ out of me. They somewhat still do (they're a huge responsabilty and our lives as well as others depend of being level headed when it comes to firearms). I'm just up for paying with my life for choosing to help people for a living.

People I know that have guns carry them on specific situations. My law partner who had a guy come in pointing a gun at him 'cause he got him jailed for domestic violence. Me having my tires slashed for not backing down when it came to defending someone who was wronged. Having my life threatened because a dead beat'd rather spend his money on drugs and cars rather than helping raise his baby daughter. That's not fair or fun. It's not like I walk through life not paying attention to what's happening all around me. I look all around me wherever I go, pay attention to my surroundings, avoid dangerous situations even as a young girl because my parents taught me that. We don't carry our guns to the mall or the movies or dinner. Not when we go out with our families. Only when working...

You have to be responsible for your own actions. I can't live in fear because I don't know who next to me is carrying a gun (legal or not). I just live my life as a responsible member of society and hope that God keeps me safe as well as all those around me.

I totally agree! I plan to go to law school and criminal law is what interests me the most at this moment. But dealing with people like that is what scares me. I would carry a gun only for protection against all those reasons you listed.

I actually get the opposite feeling. . . I hate shooting a gun, no rush at all for me.
It scares the ****e out of me and kind of jacks me up a little. . . upsets me.
I am thankful I know about gun safety and have a really good/accurate shot, but hope to God I never have to shoot it again.

I actually get the opposite feeling. . . I hate shooting a gun, no rush at all for me.
It scares the ****e out of me and kind of jacks me up a little. . . upsets me.
I am thankful I know about gun safety and have a really good/accurate shot, but hope to God I never have to shoot it again.

Well maybe that came out wrong. I meant more of a rush because I saw that I can handle one. They do scare me. It's a little overwhelming to have such a powerful device in your hands. I always thought that if it came down to it and would need to use one I wouldn't be able to. I had never really even held one in my hands. So being able to practice and fire one gave me a rush as in it made me feel better. But trust me, I have A LOT of respect towards guns. They are definitely not toys.

We'll have you in Canada Vlad and Megs:yes:
Haha, I was going to say that Toronto is a wonderful city!

I understand why the people here feel the need to own a gun, and it's wonderful everyone is so educated about the safe use/storage of them.

I will admit that I wouldn't feel comfortable owning/shooting one. I also admit that I feel safer, knowing that guns are not as readily available here.

. . . . Which is not to say that I haven't looked for things around my apartment to use as weapons just in case.

I have a concealed handgun liscense, but don't carry with me as of now, but I think I will start soon. We have a Bersa, a Smith and Wesson 357, a Colt 38 Special and another semi--I can't remember off the top of my head.

My family is from Texas--my dad wanted me to have my CHL that way I could conceal if I wanted to--although NC is an open carry state so I could carry beforehand as long as it was in the open.

it's a double edged sword. . .
In a perfect world, bad people wouldn't be carrying guns while shopping or walking down the street, etc. . . only to pull it on a some poor unsuspecting individual for looking crossways at him.
But that's not our world. . . and it's tragic.
It's scary as all hell, I agree Vlad:yes:
But if us good guys agree to not carry them because we know in the perfect world we shouldn't or shouldn't have to, then the bad guys will definitely prevail as they'll continue to carry them and we'll be on a severely unlevel playing field.
I'm alive today because homeowners are allowed to protect themselves.
My Dad, the big softy, taught me to shoot to kill, meanwhile simply held the gun to our thief's head until the police came.
Who knows if I'd be able to tell that story if my dad wasn't armed in his own home.

I have to admit, I was never in a situation of imminent danger for my life, or the life of loved ones. Our house was never robbed, at gun point or otherwise... I still think my attitude towards public fire arms would be still the same.

In my opinion, it would be tremendously difficult to keep calm and control in a highly stressful situation of having your house robbed / being assaulted and operating your handgun. I can imagine that it would take more than just a license to learn how not to get in the situation where the bag guy could overpower you and use your own gun against you. Also, what about stray bullets injuring innocent people in the heat of the situation?

See, instead of leveling the playing field against the bad guys, I'd swiftly leave it instead. :yes:

how? If the gov't took away our right to bear arms, don't you think the playing field would be unlevel? Or do you mean you would choose not to reside in the USA?
I agree, a good reason we made it through a home invasion is because my Dad had his wit's about him. It was scary enough for a single guy to raise 2 little girls all alone. But to leave them in the house alone so he could provide for them had to be downright frightening. I woke him up in the middle of the night when I saw the intruder, so he had to clear the sleep out of his head and get to his gun in his locked briefcase and pull himself together enough to deal - in about 45 seconds.

It is terrifying the situation we're all in w/ firearms, but I don't see a way around it. . . not a way that would TRULY get the guns out of the wrong people's hands.