Bottega's Durability or lack there-of

Lola

O.G.
Jan 11, 2006
To all woven bag owners,

Do you notice that the edges of the woven leather strips showing any wear over time? I've noticed that my Veneta is starting to show a little wear with the edges of the leather "curling" ever so slightly. Also some of the suede underside sticks out a bit on the edges. Does this happen to anyone else? I suppose this would be more noticeable for lighter color bags. My bag is the Carmino red color. I've had the bag about a month and am pretty careful with it. My bag spends most of the day sitting on my desk in a drawer.

I would love to hear how your bags are holding up.

Thanks!:smile:

Hi Lola

I use all my veneta bags a lot and although I treat them with care they are definately getting worn in. I have noticed that the leather strips seem to fray a little bit but otherwise they are fine. I love that as they get older they look more "loved".

VKD

Yes, I've seen it happen to showroom bags, that's why my DH forbid me to get BV when I wanted to buy a few months ago. I was quite disappointed to find out that during the making process, BV does not seal the sides of the strips to prevent fraying, instead, they just cut the whole piece of leather into strips and weave it into a bag without any further process.

Obviously when they cut the leather, the material will be weakened, however this is the charm of a weave bag! So, that's my beef with any BV weave bag and why I have always hesitated on plonking down the moolah for one.

However, I am still lusting for one as the design and shape is beautiful and will get it eventually, especially after seeing mspiggy using hers so beautifully. :heart: Hopefully in Europe or at a sale, when it is cheapest so DH won't say much.

It's the same with my Limo Veneta which is nearly 1 year old. I believe as the lambskin leather are not heavily treated/waxed, the strips does naturally show some "wear" over time. IMO, it lends the bag some character.

However, I am still lusting for one as the design and shape is beautiful and will get it eventually, especially after seeing mspiggy using hers so beautifully. :heart: Hopefully in Europe or at a sale, when it is cheapest so DH won't say much.

Thank you, S. :heart: The pricing is def sp much better in Europe (Paris is good and you could also do the H store ;)), do check out the thread on the different pricing of BV worldwide.

Bags that have been in the store for a while, as with other designer brands, and esp under harsh spotlight, would show signs of wear more prominently unfortunately.

Thank you, S. :heart: The pricing is def so much better in Europe (Paris is good and you could also do the H store ;)), do check out the thread on the different pricing of BV worldwide.

Bags that have been in the store for a while, as with other designer brands, and esp under harsh spotlight, would show signs of wear more prominently unfortunately.

i am going to defend BV on this one.:smile:

with all designer bags, special care are needed to ensure their durability. even with hermes, a spa treatment is recommended and definitely needed every year with constant use. :yes: with that said, i am not going to think that BV's quality is questionable. it's just merely that with our hectic schedule nowadays people dont take care of their bags as much they used do. i dont baby my bags and if anything happens to them, i blame no one but myself for not treating her well.:crybaby:

I don't have a veneta, so I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about regarding the suede underside sticking out; is it sticking out and visible on the outside of the bag?

Regarding the woven strips, on my limo campana I have slight fraying (have to look closely to see it) on the middle portion near the bottom of the bag where it rubs against my clothing, but elsewhere I don't see any fraying; definitely no curling of the weave due to wear. I think that if there was any resin or sealant used on the edges of the strips it would certainly stop the fraying but would also make the strips stiff enough to prevent the slouchiness that we all love in BV bags. I would rather my bag get softer and slouchier over time than have perfect unfrayed edges.

I think every brand has it's positives and negatives. Some brands take longer to show wear, while others take a matter or weeks to months to start showing. It's really up to personal preference whether or not the individual is willing to accept the wear and tear & for me I've learned through trial and error ;)

I have one really broken in veneta in goatskin and the weave does show some small signs of fraying, I imagine that as we all put stuff in our BV when the bag slouches naturally the leather would be prone to some curling and creasing as part of the bag taking its shape from the weight of its contents. So long as it doesn't happen too excessively it just lends character to the bag! My BV SA keeps insisting that BV bags should last a lifetime!

hello :smile: from my experience dear i used my Corallo (salmon colored) wallet daily for about 4 months now and it still looks beautiful without any problems. i am surprised since its a semi pale color.. but seems it held up strong! hope this helps :biggrin:

Hi everyone! I've had my large nero veneta for a month now and I see some slight fraying where it rubs against my clothes (ie: belt loops, jean rivets). I'm carrying another bag until I can decide whether to treat the leather or just let it be. Do you ladies have any suggestions for leather treatments? :shrugs: Is this sacriligious??? :shrugs:

I don't think that any leather treatment can prevent the fraying but you can use a light leather lotion or cream to buff up your bag and restore the shine to the leather.