YAY! A judge who speaks for animal lovers like us!

mello_yello_jen

Designated Shopaholic
O.G.
Jan 2, 2006
CHARLESTON, S.C. - An incredulous judge sentenced a man to three years in prison for tossing a 10-week-old puppy off an apartment balcony during an argument with his girlfriend.

The Yorkiepoo, a cross between a Yorkshire terrier and a poodle, was in a soft-sided container but suffered head injuries and had to be put to death.

Javon Patrick Morris, 22, apologized for throwing the puppy off the third-floor balcony last March and pleaded guilty to animal cruelty.

“You mean he threw a helpless animal off three floors because he was mad at someone?” Circuit Judge Edward Cottingham asked a prosecutor before issuing the sentence Thursday.

The judge, who has owned nine dogs, said he was obligated to issue a tough sentence.

“There is nobody in this world that can understand that,” Cottingham said.
He sentenced Morris to five years, suspended to three years in prison and two years of probation. Morris, who will be eligible for parole in 20 months, also was ordered to get anger management counseling.

“I’ve got to send a message to all dog lovers that we are going to protect that interest in our courtrooms,” Cottingham said.

SOURCE

Reading this article made me so happy :tup: Not so much for the poor puppy who had to put to death :cursing: but because the abuser didnt get away :yahoo:

Thank God, that's all I have to say. I'm so tired of watching shows like animal cops detroit or miami or whatever and seeing the abusers get off with a fine. The way our laws are set up would allow a man to come into my home, torture and kill my dog, and get off with a misdeamenor. On the other hand, if he came into my house, stole $15,000 from a safe, he could go to prison for several years. Now, which one would you rather him go to jail for?

I am SO mad for this Morris dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should get 5 years if I was the judge.

I am so sad for this helpless puppy, I truly am. I keep trying to imagine the pup in that container being thrown from such a high building. I already felt tears in my eyes just imagining this.

I am so mad for ppl who buy animals w/o a serious intention to care for them. This pup deserved a loving home, he/she can't help it when being chosen by this dude.

I am so mad for ppl who buy animals w/o a serious intention to care for them. This pup deserved a loving home, he/she can't help it when being chosen by this dude.

It sounds to me (but I could be wrong) that the puppy belonged to the girlfriend, and that he did it because he was fighting with her and wanted to get back at her. Either way, it's absolutely repulsive.

^^^ I'm a firm believer that whatever the crime committed is, it should be used on the guilty person as punishment. Ohhh how I'd love to be the one to toss him off a balcony...:angel: I can't stand sick people like that.

What a great ruling!

I feel so bad for that poor dog...thank goodness someone is sticking up for animals and showing that it is NOT OK to treat them that way!!

That judge is my new hero! I wish all animal cruelty cases could be brought to that court room. I hope that guy meets a lot of "nice" people in jail and they REALLY like him. :mad: