Old "32 vs. 28" kelly debate - some questions, please

jedimaster

O.G.
Dec 21, 2006
I know the issue of kelly size has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum, so forgive me if this has been - as the litigators say - "asked and answered." Here's what I would like your thoughts on:

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each?

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor?

3. Does YOUR size have anything to do with it - in otherwords, do you favor one over the other because of how it fits your particular "reach", height, etc.

4. Does the size of your other bags influence your preference? If you have a birkin bag, what size is it and does the "spread" between the sizes of the two make a difference? For instance, if you have a 30 birkin, do you find the similarity in size of a 32 preferable since its similar, or did you opt for something bigger (or smaller) to have more optionality?

Sorry if these seem like neurotic or fussy questions, but kelly sizing seems more challenging to me than birkin sizing - I always was very clear on the 35 birkin for me, but sizing on the kelly bags kind of throws me. I recently bought a 28 and frankly I like it so much that it is making me second guess my prior purchase of a 32.

I own 28cm's. That's it. I've tried the other sizes, but find the 28cm just right. I'm very short, 5 feet tall. So that's what was the determining factor for me. I could get away with a retourne 32cm, but since I like the look of sellier, would probably never go there. The 35cm is just too big for my height.

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each? Yes, 28 and 32, both rigide. Am awaiting a 28 souple. I like that the 32 has more room, but...generally favor the 28 as I use Kellys as dress bags.

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor? 28 is dressier and that is what I use Kellys for, so, that tends to get more use.

3. Does YOUR size have anything to do with it - in otherwords, do you favor one over the other because of how it fits your particular "reach", height, etc.

I am 5'6" so I think either works with my build.

4. Does the size of your other bags influence your preference? If you have a birkin bag, what size is it and does the "spread" between the sizes of the two make a difference? For instance, if you have a 30 birkin, do you find the similarity in size of a 32 preferable since its similar, or did you opt for something bigger (or smaller) to have more optionality?

Not for me, because I only carry 35 cm Birkins and they serve a completely different function than my Kellys. I use Birkins as totes/work bags and Kellys for evening or more formal occasions. Hence I don't carry Kellys often since my current lifestyle is very casual.

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each?
Yes, in both retourne and sellier.

32cm--love the way it looks; more proportional to my figure--a curvy 5'3"
28cm--easy to wield, great size to travel with, easily moves from day to night.
I love the look of sellier Kellys but also love the retournes for casual wear and function. I own more 32s than 28s though since they are my preferred size aesthetically speaking.

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor?

see above

Yes, see answer to question 1. Although I do find it interesting to see old photos of Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly carrying 35cm Kellys since they were relatively petite /slim women, which goes against the popular notion that the smaller you are the smaller the bag should be.

Hmm...good question. I own mostly 35s with 2 30s in the mix. I have the smaller bags to have the option of carrying something smaller/lighter on days when I don't need to carry so much.

personally i think the 28 kelly has the best shape..........it loses its beautiful trapezoidal shape the bigger it gets. the 28 to me is THE kelly. I think the 32 is best in rigid b/c the shape is more defined and its easier to get into than a rigid 28. i dont think a 32 holds enough more than a 28 to justify buying it. I would rather bump to a 30 birkin which holds much more. i think body shape is somewhat irrelevant............its more personal style that enables people to get away with things. i have seen tiny woman with huge birkins (35) and tall womens with little bags................and they look great.

I know the issue of kelly size has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum, so forgive me if this has been - as the litigators say - "asked and answered." Here's what I would like your thoughts on:

Yes, I have both sizes and use both. The 28, however, holds everything I wish to carry. The 32s in my collection were purchased because I loved the color combo ( I have two 32s, the thalassa & gold ) and can also use 32s with no problem. It's slightly overkill, size wise but, not enough to make me toss my 32s! AND my DH selected my 28 for me as a gift......sooooo.

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor? Strangely, although the 28 fits best, I favor the 32. Maybe I'm thinking slightly bigger is "more" or something?? But, faced with a 32 and a 28 setting in front of me, I would choose the 32....makes no sense, especially because lately I've been thinking I could use another 28.....go figure:shrugs:

Never realized ladies sizes had anything to do with the size bags they select until I came to the forum. I always bought what I wanted and seldom even looked in the mirror. But, I understand that reasoning now having listened to other's opinions.

4. Does the size of your other bags influence your preference? If you have a birkin bag, what size is it and does the "spread" between the sizes of the two make a difference? For instance, if you have a 30 birkin, do you find the similarity in size of a 32 preferable since its similar, or did you opt for something bigger (or smaller) to have more optionality? The size of my other bags did influence me, until I realized that a 32 HAC is not anywhere near the size of a 32 Kelly and neither is the 30 Birkin, nor is the HAC 28 the same as the Kelly 28..... and so on. These styles in my opinion, are two different animals and should be judged individually for size/style fit to the lady wearing them. The Birkin/HAC styles are much deeper front to back than the Kelly styles, given the same width. Makes a lot of difference. Not to mention, too, the height differences, the handles, and the shoulder strap on the Kelly.

Sorry if these seem like neurotic or fussy questions, but kelly sizing seems more challenging to me than birkin sizing - I always was very clear on the 35 birkin for me, but sizing on the kelly bags kind of throws me. I recently bought a 28 and frankly I like it so much that it is making me second guess my prior purchase of a 32. Not fussy questions at all....I feel many of us can relate to your concerns.

i only own 28 sellier and retourne. i LOVE the 28 size. i feel that hermes bags are pretty heavy and i don't really carry too much in my bag, so a 28cm is perfect. i feel the 32cm retourne (not sellier) would work for me too but i prefer the ladylike, cuteness of the 28cm.

see above

i think size does have a lot to do with it. with my height/weight i don't think a 32 sellier would work on me. i prefer smaller bags.

i chose 30cm for my birkin. my height, weight, heaviness of the bag, i don't carry much. with the open top, i seem to want to put more things in the birkin than in my kelly because things are so accessible. more of a casual bag anyway. i have MORE than enough space for things in my 30cm birkin.

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each? Yes, 28 and 32, both rigide. Am awaiting a 28 souple. I like that the 32 has more room, but...generally favor the 28 as I use Kellys as dress bags.

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor? 28 is dressier and that is what I use Kellys for, so, that tends to get more use.

I am 5'6" so I think either works with my build.

Not for me, because I only carry 35 cm Birkins and they serve a completely different function than my Kellys. I use Birkins as totes/work bags and Kellys for evening or more formal occasions. Hence I don't carry Kellys often since my current lifestyle is very casual.

LOL - I was just about to answer when I read Pepper's replies - my answers are EXACTLY the SAME as Peppers (even down to the height answer - LOL)!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there -- here are my answers, FWIW. The other tPfers have answered so well so far.

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each? I own a 32 retourne, but have tried on a 28 (and a 35) before. The 28 is on the small side for me, but would be very nice as a strict evening bag (esp in black box or some exotic skin).

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor? Definitely size.

3. Does YOUR size have anything to do with it - in otherwords, do you favor one over the other because of how it fits your particular "reach", height, etc. Yes, for sure. I'm 5'10". Smaller bags sometimes look like toys on me.

4. Does the size of your other bags influence your preference? If you have a birkin bag, what size is it and does the "spread" between the sizes of the two make a difference? For instance, if you have a 30 birkin, do you find the similarity in size of a 32 preferable since its similar, or did you opt for something bigger (or smaller) to have more optionality? It's more what the function of the bag is. My 35 Birkin and 36 HAC are totes, whereas my Kelly is dressier (others have said this as well). That being said, I carry both Kelly and Birkin to work. The Kelly is great when I don't have papers to stuff into the bag. If I needed a more formal, evening-ish bag, I'd go for a 28 Kelly for sure.

Sorry if these seem like neurotic or fussy questions, but kelly sizing seems more challenging to me than birkin sizing - I always was very clear on the 35 birkin for me, but sizing on the kelly bags kind of throws me. I recently bought a 28 and frankly I like it so much that it is making me second guess my prior purchase of a 32. Not neurotic at all. I'd be asking the same questions!! It's good that you put these questions out there because they are a good reference for others!! :okay:

1. Do any of you have both sizes and like both sizes? If so, what do you like about each? 28 is just right for me I'm 5'3". I still love my 32!

Your lifestyle and your height i think...

I prefer 28 for everyday cos it's just perfect for my size.

n/a--- don't have a 32 birkin

Good luck and enjoy!:heart:

Proportionally, 28 fits me the best. I'd much rather go for a Birkin 30 than a Kelly 32. I can fit so much more and it looks better on me.

I've tried on both Retourne and Sellier 32 but due to my height, they both look like I was lugging a suitcase.

Definitely. I'm 5'2 and very small boned.

Answer's in Q1.

Sorry if these seem like neurotic or fussy questions, but kelly sizing seems more challenging to me than birkin sizing - I always was very clear on the 35 birkin for me, but sizing on the kelly bags kind of throws me. I recently bought a 28 and frankly I like it so much that it is making me second guess my prior purchase of a 32.
Not at all. I wish I did as much research as you have before handing over my CC. I used to just buy whatever they have on the shelves. Considering how expensive these bags are, it's wise to think it through and make sure you get exactly what you're after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I only have the 32 size Kelly.

2. If any of you have tried both, and favor one over the other, what has been the deciding factor? I tried the 28 and couldn't fit all my "stuff" into it. I really wanted to make the 28 work but it was a matter of logistics.

I am short - barely 5 feet- and now definately think I should have found a way to make the 28 work. While my husband doesn't think the 32 is too big for me, I now do - espcially the rigide. If I'm wearing pants or a long coat, it's OK, but with a dress/short skirt, the proportions aren't right IMO. I feel that a small woman can look good carrying a large/oversize Birkin (if she can handle the weight!) but I think an oversize Kelly looks "off". I saw a photo of Princess Grace carrying a large one with a longish dress and I thought it was too big for her - but who am I do critique a fashion icon?

I had a 30 Birkin before I got a Kelly. It is the perfect bag for me in proportion to my size and in function. As I said, I'm short - but the 30 Birkin does NOT overwhelm me. It's a flattering size and holds an enormous amount - which I quickly got used to carting around. When I got the Kelly, I needed the space of the 32. I regret not learning how to edit my junk.

IMO, YOUR size and the bag size are important. The other issue is the purpose of the bag. If you plan on being out all day with it or traveling with it, then the 32 will definately hold much more and be more practical. If it's only going to be used for luncheons or out to dinner, then the 28 may be better.

^^I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Grace Kelly's bag was way too big for her. I think a 32cm will look amazing on her.

I always carry so much junk with me that it's such a relief getting a 28cm. I had a 35 once. By the time I filled it up, it weighed more than 12 pounds. I was ready to chuck it by the end of the day.

I own 28cm's. That's it. I've tried the other sizes, but find the 28cm just right. I'm very short, 5 feet tall. So that's what was the determining factor for me. I could get away with a retourne 32cm, but since I like the look of sellier, would probably never go there. The 35cm is just too big for my height.

I am barely 5ft and I am with you on 28 sellier and 32 retourne. To me it's a matter of balance btwn the person and the bag and its contents :smile: I can't carry the 28 sellier as a everyday bag, but the 32 retourne is excellent for my work/daily bag.

Edited to say, I tried the 32 sellier and it looks like a briefcase on me :nogood: