Rounding out my collection - Opinions needed on a Kelly!

babyhart

admire inspire
O.G.
Jun 19, 2006
Hey all, I haven't posted in awhile since I've stepped back to appreciate & use my h bags!!! but in the end, I do need (ok, want) one more bag to round out my collection and that's a 32cm kelly.

I have numerous 30cm and 35cm birkins.
I also have a 28cm retourne PH evergrain rouge H kelly and a 35cm retourne PH VL kelly.

i'm looking now for a 32cm kelly in black (only black) to be my final pick for awhile.

my local H boutique has one, a 32cm VL rigide kelly with GH. i saw it IRL, but I thought it looked too stiff, i guess b/c i'm used to the retourne styles of my other two kellys.

i'm thinking about it still though, b/c 1) i don't have a kelly with GH, 2) i don't have a rigid style kelly, and 3) i do like VL surprisingly, although this black one doesn't have as much sheen as the 35 i have (which is fine).

so here are my questions:

1) is there a big size/illusion difference between a 32cm rigide vs. retourne? will it seem too briefcase-like with a rigide 32 (i've read that rigide 35 looks like a briefcase)?

2) i do have a black birkin with GH - would having a black kelly with GH seem too redundant?

3) does a black kelly with GH seem too formal? can it be dressed down a bit?

4) does the rigide sorta "soften" over time? does the opening become easier to open with more use? i've read that retourne offers easier access than rigide.

what do you think?
i know a lot of questions, but as always, i value all your opinions!!!!!

My answers are in blue. I don't buy any H bags that aren't lined. In terms of bags ranging from casual to formal. Garden Party & Lindy are super casual, Birkin is casual, Retourne Kelly is casual, Sellier Kelly in fun colors are casual. Sellier Kelly in neutral and dark colors are formal, Paris Bombay and the rigid Bolide are also formal and great for work, I've only seen these 2 styles in neutral and dark colors and can't really comment on fun colors. That's how I work mine, I'm sure others have their own list and a lot of it also depends on how you dressed.

so here are my questions:

1) is there a big size/illusion difference between a 32cm rigide vs. retourne? will it seem too briefcase-like with a rigide 32 (i've read that rigide 35 looks like a briefcase)?
Yes, it does have a somewhat briefcase look initially sitting on the shelves, but with the right kind of clothes, it looks like a formal bag, and that is part of the appeal.

2) i do have a black birkin with GH - would having a black kelly with GH seem too redundant?
No, because a Birkin will always be a casual bag for me. Never formal enough.

3) does a black kelly with GH seem too formal? Haha, it IS a formal bag.
can it be dressed down a bit? No. If you think by wearing casual clothes, the bag will be more dressed down, doesn't work that way, just looks mismatched. If you have a blue jean rigid, then yeah, it can be dressed down BUT not black rigid Kelly with GHW.

4) does the rigide sorta "soften" over time? No, and that again is part of the appeal, have you ever seen a 20 year old rigid Kelly? It holds up better than retourne.
does the opening become easier to open with more use? i've read that retourne offers easier access than rigide. I don't own a retourne, so can't say but I have no difficulty getting in and out of my rigid Kelly bag.

what do you think?
As your bags are casual, I say a rigid would round out your collection nicely. And buy it only if you love it. By the way, the rigid is now known as Sellier.

I guess it could but to me the 32 sellier looks like a gorgeous, formal Kelly in a classic shape.

2) i do have a black birkin with GH - would having a black kelly with GH seem too redundant? No, I agree with Airmess, a Birkin is casual and a black 32cm Sellier w GH is definitely NOT.

3) does a black kelly with GH seem too formal? can it be dressed down a bit? "Too" formal? It's just formal and it would be rather difficult to dress it down, IMO.

4) does the rigide sorta "soften" over time? does the opening become easier to open with more use? i've read that retourne offers easier access than rigide.
Well, Sellier os not Retourne and vice versa if that makes sense. I have found the Sellier style to stay stiff over the years. As for easier access, that I do not know. GL!

32 black is not too briefcase like. If it is PH then it can be dressed down, but not GH. What colour is your 35cm kelly? A black sellier with GH actually is quite different from the rest of your bags, so I don't think you can go wrong or have any duplication. Good luck!

i personally think that a 32 rigide will look A LOT bigger than your 28 retourne. rigides also seem dressier to me. they are also harder to get in and out of compared to retournes especially in stiffer leathers like box or VL. that all being said, black rigides with GHW are so elegant and gorgeous. classic!!! very different from a black birkin so no redundancy.

i have black box rigide and i hardly use mine. it's too dressy for my casual look. i only use it going out or when dressed up. otherise, i use my 28 souple everyday.

thank you airmess, authenticlux, lyanna and kim. i learned a lot from your knowledge of hermes, and i appreciate you took the time out to go through my questions.

so, here's what transpired. i have two H boutiques within 30 miles of me; the one closest to me (5 minutes) had the VL kelly with the GH. the one further away, i got a call from my SA there and she said she had a black GH kelly souple in coromandel skin. i went to see it today and walked out with it. it's a strange thing though, on the box it says sellier AND souple. the edges are sharp but NOT as sharp and rigid-looking as the VL kelly. the coromandel opening is also softer, it's like the opening of my 28cm evergrain souple kelly, so that's good, b/c it's easier to open. i'm very happy with it. in fact, when i was at the boutique, my SA was hiding it in the box after i viewed it, b/c she didn't want another customer to take it, since it was the only black 32 kelly left. i like it a lot b/c it's like the box said, a blend of sellier and souple.

^ I have never seen a blend of sellier and retourne. Congrats on your choice! Sounds really intriguing. May we see a couple of pics of your newly acquired beauty? Thanks!

The only thing that makes it a cross between Sellier and Retourne is that the stiff piece of cowhide that usually goes between the outer skin and the lining is missing e.g. Kelly Danse and the Kelly Flat, both Sellier in styles yet somewhat soft.