Um...semi-urgent tarantula question...

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Mods, please move this to the Animalicious forum if this is inappropriate, but I was not sure this qualified as an animal thing...

My son has a pet tarantula and I have been taking care of it since he moved out and until he gets a place where he can have it. My question is this:

DOES A TARANTULA SHED ITS LEGS??? :wtf:

There are at least two "legs" (detached) in the terrarium now, and possibly three, and when he (she?) was stretched out a little while ago, I counted ten "legs" on the actual spider. HELP!!! Is s/he sick? Is this normal? I have no idea and it is very freaky. Thanks!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...spiders just scare the pants off me...yikes.......Ill move this to animalicious.....eek...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...spiders just scare the pants off me...yikes.......Ill move this to animalicious.....eek...

poor Jill. hey......don't move.........theres something c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g slowly up your........left leg.......hold still now......

awww. they're so cute and fuzzy though. please read the whole page I sent you cause it goes into detail about how to care for them as they are going through the molting process (ie; don't handle them, make sure they have water....etc.)

Aww lucky you! DH and I used to have a pet tarantula, he passed away though. We found him and took him in to care for him :smile: They're so neat huh. When they crawl on you and leave the little web as they walk. Cute little guys. Have fun with yours!

awww. they're so cute and fuzzy though. please read the whole page I sent you cause it goes into detail about how to care for them as they are going through the molting process (ie; don't handle them, make sure they have water....etc.)

I did read all through it. I have two problems...first, I scared the spider (before I read those pages) because I lifted the cage lid to see if he was still alive (he is), and he seems still "in tact" except for the legs, but I hope I did not disturb him too much; and second, there are three crickets in the cage still from his last feeding. Those pages say that a cricket can harm a molting spider...these are pretty small...maybe 3/4" long, and if I try to get them out I will bother the spider again and still may not be able to catch the crickets. Ironically I am terrified of crickets (they jump). What do you think I should do?

I don't think I have any that would catch a cricket...I think they are flat salad tongs. But the site says if I startle the spider that could kill him...do I go in after the crickets and startle the spider to save the spider from the crickets? Won't that cause more trauma? Bagnshoo...where are youuuuuu? I need a cricket catcher!