Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

sorry - I'm not accepting NY Post as fact
and this did start out as reference to Meghan copying her style
NY Post wasn't the source of the information but they had excerpts from the book. It was from way back in 2003 and there aren't that many other articles left to find online about JFK Jr and CBK these days. I don't know if Meghan copied her style or not, just surprised that CBK is still considered a fashion icon these days. She wasn't a nice person.

NY Post wasn't the source of the information but they had excerpts from the book. It was from way back in 2003 and there aren't that many other articles left to find online about JFK Jr and CBK these days. I don't know if Meghan copied her style or not, just surprised that CBK is still considered a fashion icon theseI
IDK who this Klein person is but this hasn't been widely accepted as far as I know. I had heard Carolyn wasn't happy with being in the public eye, being stalked by photogs, etc. I doubt she was a coke addict but back then, people were doing it a lot I guess.
Not sure why you don't like them but we can agree to disagree.

The cocaine use is actually true. NYC fashion industry in the 90’s after all.

My friend said she and the male model would get into screaming matches at the CK offices. Said she was a very fiery dramatic personality. Funny how that isn’t captured in photos of her, she does appear icey.

Regardless is she was troubled or a nice person, she is still considered a fashion icon for her clean classic minimalist American style. Her style is widely copied now with the 90’s resurgence happening the last several years.

Last thing about CBK from me because I just finished the Bower book:sweatdrop: but I always found this story funny. My friend subleased Carolyn’s apartment when she moved in with John. She said C would never cash her rent checks. Months would go buy and the money would still be in her account. She’d say C, are you going to cash my checks?!:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
The cocaine use is actually true. NYC fashion industry in the 90’s after all.

My friend said she and the male model would get into screaming matches at the CK offices. Said she was a very fiery dramatic personality. Funny how that isn’t captured in photos of her, she does appear icey.

Regardless is she was troubled or a nice person, she is still considered a fashion icon for her clean classic minimalist American style. Her style is widely copied now with the 90’s resurgence happening the last several years.
As with Diana, I think the tragic circumstances of their deaths caused everyone to gloss over the previous unpleasantness about them.

Where do I start? Bessette-Kennedy looked out of it because she was heavily into cocaine, which was still popular in the fashion industry in the 90s. He wanted to have kids, she didn't. Friends reported frequents fights between them. If they had lived there would almost certainly have been a divorce.

Had tPF existed back then we would have had a very active thread devoted to them. I would say their relationship was more turbulent than H&M's appears to be. If anything I think Carolyn, with her cold, aristocratic shell, was even more messed up. :shocked:

From a book that came out about the relationship a few years after they died:

* John once returned to their loft to find Carolyn sprawled on the floor “disheveled and hollow-eyed, snorting cocaine with a gaggle of gay fashionistas,” Klein writes. “Without asking John’s permission, Carolyn gave keys to their loft to some of her friends so they could come and go as they please.”

“You’re a cokehead!” John screamed at her, one of the people present that night told Klein.

Klein also recounts a tale told him by a staffer at George magazine who had dinner with Carolyn one night.

“She made at least a half-dozen trips to the bathroom and came back to the table with white rings around her nostrils,” the staffer is quoted as saying.

“The next morning, John came in and asked me, ‘Why did you keep my wife out so late?’ And I said, ‘A better question, John, is why your wife didn’t want to go home.’ “

* Just before their July 1996 wedding, Carolyn flew into hysterics because she couldn’t get her $40,000 zipperless dress over her head.

The fashion disaster made the bride two hours late for the ceremony. Her tardiness – and her insistence on clomping across the beach in high heels – outraged her sister-in-law Caroline, setting the tone for their future prickly relationship.

* Early in the marriage, “it was clear to friends that Carolyn was cracking under the pressure” from paparazzi and the press, writes Klein.

“She displayed the classic signs of clinical depression . . . A few months after the wedding, she began spending more and more time locked in her apartment, convulsed in crying jags.”

* John and Carolyn fought, and the battles were often violent.

“John told friends that he felt trapped in an abusive relationship,” Klein says.

“One time he had to be rushed to an emergency room for an operation to repair a severed nerve in his right wrist. He tried to dismiss the injury as the result of a stupid household accident, but his friends knew better: They were certain that Carolyn was the culprit.”

* Both had fiery tempers, which ignited at the mention of either’s former paramours.

When Carolyn heard rumors that John was seeing old girlfriend Daryl Hannah, “she flew into a rage,” Klein says.

And John feared his wife was cheating on him with a former boyfriend, Calvin Klein underwear poster boy Michael Bergin.

Bergin’s former manager told Klein that he once encountered Carolyn – who was living with Kennedy but not yet married to him – hiding under the model’s staircase. She was waiting until the coast was clear before heading to his room.

The two “continued a sexual affair” while Carolyn was dating John, the book says.

“Carolyn and I had a very intense love for each other,” Bergin told Klein.

“And I know deep in my heart that she still loved me even after she married John Kennedy. Some things just don’t end.”

During a screaming match in 1999, Carolyn told John she was still sleeping with Bergin. It was a lie, Klein writes, but John believed her.

* In March that year, John – after persuading Carolyn to see a psychiatrist who then put her on anti-depressants – joined her in marriage counseling.

But “nothing worked,” writes Klein.

Fairly certain CBK would make AmberH look downright sweet. TBower, though, has done an excellent job raising everyone’s level of awareness about H&M. Perhaps TBower wrote the book in that exhausting style so that readers would understand how exhausting it is to be around H&M. Seems like they are the type of people to keep everyone on edge.

she probably didn't have the most beautiful face but I thought her style was gorgeous.....that wedding gown was perfection. and I was a big fan of him. together they were a beautiful couple. were they perfect as far as their relationship? of course not. but she had more style in her little finger than M. To be fair, not sure Meghan actually said she was trying to emulate her or if this was someone speculating.
IIRC MM put it on her Tig blog, pre-wedding. A few(?) pages back, there’s a link.

IDK who this Klein person is but this hasn't been widely accepted as far as I know. I had heard Carolyn wasn't happy with being in the public eye, being stalked by photogs, etc. I doubt she was a coke addict but back then, people were doing it a lot I guess.
Not sure why you don't like them but we can agree to disagree.
He's a biographer who has been around a while. He has decent credentials as near as I can tell. All the stuff he put in his book came out in the months following the plane crash.

From his Wikipedia:
Edward Klein is the former foreign editor of Newsweek and served as the editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine from 1977 to 1987. He frequently contributes to Vanity Fair and Parade and writes a weekly celebrity gossip column in Parade called "Personality Parade" under the pseudonym "Walter Scott." (The Walter Scott pseudonym had originally been used by Lloyd Shearer, who wrote the column from 1958 to 1991.[3]) He also writes books, many of which have been on the New York Times Bestseller list. Additionally, he was the principal for the Business Communications School at The Euclid High School Complex. He was photographed by popular Humans of New York photographer Brandon Stanton, on June 12, 2014, which led to his personal website crashing due to a high volume of visitors.[4] Klein is also a contributor for the New York Post.

Last thing about CBK from me because I just finished the Bower book:sweatdrop: but I always found this story funny. My friend subleased Carolyn’s apartment when she moved in with John. She said C would never cash her rent checks. Months would go buy and the money would still be in her account. She’s say C, are you going to cash my checks?!:lol::lol::lol:
Now that's a sign of somebody who never had to worry about money.

So the last couple chapters of the Bower book irked me. He implied the Harkles had success with the faux royal visit to NY and everything after…that they are loved in America when they’re a laughingstock at this point. I’m hoping Handbag’s book and his forthcoming attack of Charles and Camilla finally pushes the BRF to cut them off. Can he take away the titles when he is king?

Last edited:
One thing about the book especially toward the end when they came here is I think Bower overestimates their "power" in the US. Sure her stans may fawn over every pic, mention & etc. But really in the grand scheme no one really gives a ****. There was a huge burst after Oprah, due to the racism allegations and people debated on Socials but it really faded out after awhile. Like any of these other appearances (NYC, etc) hit the news and die off before the next news cycle.

Sunshine Sucks may be good at getting them into the press, but no one is eating it up but the Sugars. The rest of the world collectively yawns. Which is why even though the RF was supposedly so horrible they still try and trade on the connection, it's the only thing they have of interest or value.

Last edited:
He's a biographer who has been around a while. He has decent credentials as near as I can tell. All the stuff he put in his book came out in the months following the plane crash.

From his Wikipedia:
Edward Klein is the former foreign editor of Newsweek and served as the editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine from 1977 to 1987. He frequently contributes to Vanity Fair and Parade and writes a weekly celebrity gossip column in Parade called "Personality Parade" under the pseudonym "Walter Scott." (The Walter Scott pseudonym had originally been used by Lloyd Shearer, who wrote the column from 1958 to 1991.[3]) He also writes books, many of which have been on the New York Times Bestseller list. Additionally, he was the principal for the Business Communications School at The Euclid High School Complex. He was photographed by popular Humans of New York photographer Brandon Stanton, on June 12, 2014, which led to his personal website crashing due to a high volume of visitors.[4] Klein is also a contributor for the New York Post.
You’re right. I had forgotten much of their story. There was lots of chaos surrounding the couple - the public fights were indeed shocking. We have not seen any of that with H&M, have we? Perhaps that will be the last straw.