Granite: here to stay in home decor?

I didnt care much about what the rest of my house looked like (okay a little), but it HAD to have black granite in the kitchen and 12" spanish tiles in the bathrooms and hardwood floors through out. (carpet in the bedrooms). I also loved limestone in the kitchen but chose granite.

HATE hardwood floors now. hate them, hate them, hate them.

Donna, why do you hate your hardwood floors? We are thinking of putting "distressed" hardwood in our main living areas. I'd love to hear your opinions.

I think granite is in for the long haul.

Avocado may have been cool at one time, but that's a color, not a product so I can't compare the 2 personally.
Granite has been hot longer than people think and it's insane durability ensures it's longevity IMO.
We put it in our first home close to 10 yrs ago and have been tempted by a few other products but they don't usually add up for us.

We've had granite for 10 yrs and have never had it sealed or re-sealed.
Our granite now is 6 yrs old and looks the same today as it did the day it was installed.
You don't even want to know what I clean it w/ half the time.
This stuff is idiot proof :biggrin:

Well said, Swanky. ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems to be total idiot proof in our home. I leave all sorts of drinks on ours, and it has held up beautifully. I use to polish it when we first had it put in. I haven't touched it in a few years. It looks just as good as the day it was installed. I can't see granite going "out of style". BTW, what is the difference between granite and marble???? Anyone know?

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and the counter-tops are the ONE thing that my SO is insisting he gets to choose.

He wants corian:cursing:.

I really wanted to get ice stone -- which is recycled glass in concrete -- but he has his heart set on corian countertops.

Which are probably going to look pretty silly with my Bertazonni range and Gaggenau ovens.

But I guess I can't ***** too much since he hasn't really complained too much about this
X366GGVRO.jpg
color range!

I am in the same situation. In fact, my new kitchen is going to be delivered on Tuesday and then I will have to decide about a coutertop. Although everyone is telling me granite, I am leaning toward Caesarstone for the aestic clean coloration. There are no cons to using this or Silestone. Good luck to what ever you choose, just make sure you do your research first....

I didnt care much about what the rest of my house looked like (okay a little), but it HAD to have black granite in the kitchen and 12" spanish tiles in the bathrooms and hardwood floors through out. (carpet in the bedrooms). I also loved limestone in the kitchen but chose granite.

HATE hardwood floors now. hate them, hate them, hate them.

Sounds gorgeous, Donna!! I love black granite too...ex BF's kitchen and bar were stunning and my aunt & uncle just remodeled their kitchen with black granite too...

Ah yes, tiles. I have 3 bathrooms screaming for a makeover as well, lol. Must * get * tile. :wlae:
Hmmm, actually I need to get a new JOB first before anything else. :P

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies you rock!! :okay:

I think at some point it's going to look dated... that's just my opinion......

ITA! Also, there also may be a saturation point with granite in the near future, imo. I loved it and wanted it badly a year ago when I was redoing our kitchen. I was talked out of it by a man and woman who had granite all over their house, and they were SICK of it. They were changing to Corian, not three years after having put granite in their kitchen, bar area, and all bathrooms. I ended up putting a white marble-looking Corian in the kitchen, and it is gorgeous. (It was a brand new design a year ago and was graded "E," but not yet even priced because the sample had just come in.) It is far easier to keep looking clean than the darker granite patterns, also. Too many people had griped about how hard their granite countertops were to keep looking clean, so I'll pass that onto you to figure into your thinking.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. :smile:

Robyn- Corian stains and scratches easily. . . just an FYI.
I agree again about granite's durability, I actually put cookie sheets on mine right from the oven.
WITHOUT a trivet:shocked:

We've put hardwoods in every home we've built {6 of them I think} and I love them!
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend hand scraped /distressed hardwoods:yes:
We sunk some tile into them in one house. I don't want to hijack this thread though:shame:

main difference between marble and granite is granite is harder.
Marble scratches and stains more easily, it's softer and more porous, as is travertine.

We've had granite counter tops since the mid 1990's, in this house and our previous house. They are solid, beautiful, durable and you can't ruin them. Using stone in your home is a timeless investment, IMO. It's a natural element.

Well, a lot of you have written about granite and loving it since I first began my post. (the phone rang while I was writing)

I wanted a black granite top soo badly, but let me ask those of you who have one a question. Is it hard to maintain without wiping it every few minutes while you're cooking, etc.?

One of our best couple friends have black granite countertops and a HUGE island with granite. Everytime we eat over there, I literally gasp at how beautiful it is. She says - everytime - that it just looks that way when it has just been wiped down. Is that your experience or is she overstating this? She is an overly zealous person when it comes to cleaning, and therefore the question.

it's just like glass. . . if you had glass countertops, you'd have to wipe them a lot:yes:

I actually use glass cleaner to make mine sparkle:biggrin:
I've had every color known to man; black, brown, red, gold, etc. . . .
Out of every color we've had, I actually like black the least.

^^Yes, "shiny" anything shows more than flatter finishes - in whatever surface. And my Corian shows *no scrathes or stains. If fact, my DH had spilled a little wine on ours, it sank in, but wiped away with a wet sponge, *many hours later. Just my experience.

And Robyn, I had a prejudice against Corian too. I don't like most of the older ones, but check out the newer samples they have. After the kitchen co-ordinator got a sense of my taste, she went to the back and got a sample of Corian that had just come in, and I took about one second to say, "That's it!"

For as long as I can remember, granite has been a great addition to a kitchen. It's never been "in" as far as I'm concerned cause it's not a trendy option. It's a smart, traditional option that never really goes out of style.
I can remember This Old House from the late 70's installing granite. It was a great investment then, and still is.

I have marble countertops. Looks very similar to granite. I love it because it's really easy to clean. In the kitchen we used to have stainless steel counters. They were SO hard to maintain. One word: Fingerprints! :tdown: