Granite: here to stay in home decor?

I am an Interior Designer and do a lot of kitchen remodels. I just got back from a design/color conference and there was a lot of discussion about the direction that homes are going to take in the next few years. World events, etc. always take an active role in the "palette" that is created for the future, and right now people are wanting to get back to comfort. Eating in more, inviting spaces, warm colors, etc.

Stainless steel, for instance, is still popular, but mixing it up a little is a great thing to do-ie: maybe a refrigerator that has wood panels to match the cabinets-so it "disappears" and becomes less imposing, while still keeping a stainless oven, etc.

Granite is still great, but the way it is used can very, or the types of granite-and there are so many. Perhaps honed granite, which is less shiny, in some cases, is a nice way to go. Stones, mixed with butcher block-like maybe in the center island or a sideboard, is great. All stones are porous, some more than others. All need to be sealed for extra protection. Many people say to not use limestone, but I think french limestone, which is thicker, is beautiful. I have it in my own kitchen (honed) and it's perfect. I actually haven't sealed it for a few years. I just did a kitchen with black absolute granite, which lookes super. Corian can be tough with stains, and it's not exactly cheap. Kirkstone, which is in the slate family-a blackish.green is really beautiful-with creamy cabinets, etc.

Anyway, I love talking design, and have gone on way too long!...:P

I think granite is in for the long haul.

Avocado may have been cool at one time, but that's a color, not a product so I can't compare the 2 personally.
Granite has been hot longer than people think and it's insane durability ensures it's longevity IMO.
We put it in our first home close to 10 yrs ago and have been tempted by a few other products but they don't usually add up for us.

We've had granite for 10 yrs and have never had it sealed or re-sealed.
Our granite now is 6 yrs old and looks the same today as it did the day it was installed.
You don't even want to know what I clean it w/ half the time.
This stuff is idiot proof :biggrin:

Agreed!

if you still want to do a slate we did granite countertops (everywhere including bathrooms) and a honed slate backsplash in the kitchen! LOVES IT!

Marly mentioned limestone above. Limestone is beautiful, but it can leave some spots (if oil gets on it and not cleaned properly right away it can stain it).

My parents just renovated their whole house, and after looking at nearly every option under the sun, they went with granite. They did a tumbled marble backdrop- which is beautiful. It just seemed like the best bet they thought :yes:

in the kitchen but chose granite.

HATE hardwood floors now. hate them, hate them, hate them.
why is that? i'm just curious because i don't think i've ever met anyone that didn't like hardwood floors, usually it's the opposite, people want to get rid of the carpet and put in hardwood.

i've had hardwood for as long as i can remember, at my parents' and everywhere i've lived on my own. except for two years as a student i lived in places with carpet and i hated that. maybe it has to do with what you're most used to?

^^Yes, "shiny" anything shows more than flatter finishes - in whatever surface. And my Corian shows *no scrathes or stains. If fact, my DH had spilled a little wine on ours, it sank in, but wiped away with a wet sponge, *many hours later. Just my experience.

And Robyn, I had a prejudice against Corian too. I don't like most of the older ones, but check out the newer samples they have. After the kitchen co-ordinator got a sense of my taste, she went to the back and got a sample of Corian that had just come in, and I took about one second to say, "That's it!"
My house was built in 1999. I have corian counter top. It was costed a fortune back then. There were not many colors to choose especially from my builder.
I have the light green with tiny dots mixed colors (white, brown, gold, etc), which are prety nice at the time.
That would be great if you could post some pictures.

Well, a lot of you have written about granite and loving it since I first began my post. (the phone rang while I was writing)

I wanted a black granite top soo badly, but let me ask those of you who have one a question. Is it hard to maintain without wiping it every few minutes while you're cooking, etc.?

One of our best couple friends have black granite countertops and a HUGE island with granite. Everytime we eat over there, I literally gasp at how beautiful it is. She says - everytime - that it just looks that way when it has just been wiped down. Is that your experience or is she overstating this? She is an overly zealous person when it comes to cleaning, and therefore the question.

i have black with brown, aside from the fact that i don't really like black in a kitchen...it acts as a mirror, so if you have kids..and they are putting things or smudging the countertops, it really shows stuff. it only looks nice about once a day, at the end of the day when everyone is in bed, and i do a thorough wipedown.

my neighbors with lighter colors don't have this issue

i wouldn't go for a dark countertop again, but that is my preference. i think it depends on your lifestyle, and how you use your kitchen.

i am soo sick of wiping down the countertops with windex to make them shine, i do it several times a day. and i am not a neat-nick, ask anyone who knows me.

why is that? i'm just curious because i don't think i've ever met anyone that didn't like hardwood floors, usually it's the opposite, people want to get rid of the carpet and put in hardwood.

i've had hardwood for as long as i can remember, at my parents' and everywhere i've lived on my own. except for two years as a student i lived in places with carpet and i hated that. maybe it has to do with what you're most used to?

me neither :confused1:

i can't stand carpet, i have allergies so i'd have to be cleaning it ALL the time if i had it. and i'll never understand the weird british tendency to put it in the bathroom :wtf: :throwup:

me neither :confused1:

i can't stand carpet, i have allergies so i'd have to be cleaning it ALL the time if i had it. and i'll never understand the weird british tendency to put it in the bathroom :wtf: :throwup:

^ :yes:. in the toilet?????

love granite. it is a question how you design the whole kitchen IMO. solid materials, neutral colours, and a stone that isn't very busy will always be a good way to go IMO.